Favorite Minneapolis/St. Paul Guitar Shop?

Maess

• Members

Is the 'Homestead Picking Parlor' still down there in Ritchfield? (or South Minneapolis, I forget, been a long time) I remember it as a nice acoustic instrument place.

Yes still there, just bought a few mountain dulcimer items there about 6 months ago.

• Members

Surprised that Solid Body Guitar hasn't made it on the list yet.

Well, to me that place felt snootier than Willies. And I've been to both on a week day. I just felt if I didn't have Brooks Bothers on, I had no business being there. I'm lucky enough to get to wear jeans to work every day and no one is going to care.

• Members

Great thread. I live in the Twin Cities, and there are lots of places mentioned that I've never heard of. Granted, I rarely venture west of the river. I'll have to hit a few of these places soon and check them out.

Even though I've been wandering around Guitar Center in Roseville for years and years now, I've only ever bought one guitar from them.

Willie's is a nice place to go in and drool over things I can't afford. I've had some service work done there, and I've never had any complaints about the work they've done for me. Given their "guitar dealer to the stars" rep, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a bit of an attitude at times. I've never experience it personally though.

One place a little outside of the Twin Cities that I've bought a few things from is Music Connection in Forrest Lake.

• Members

I'm not from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, but my two favorites are Willy's American and Encore Music. Encore is fun to go to if you are able to tune out sassy comments from disgruntled employees. Willy's has always been friendly to me.

• Members

Great thread. I live in the Twin Cities, and there are lots of places mentioned that I've never heard of. Granted, I rarely venture west of the river. I'll have to hit a few of these places soon and check them out.

Even though I've been wandering around Guitar Center in Roseville for years and years now, I've only ever bought one guitar from them.

Willie's is a nice place to go in and drool over things I can't afford. I've had some service work done there, and I've never had any complaints about the work they've done for me. Given their "guitar dealer to the stars" rep, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a bit of an attitude at times. I've never experience it personally though.

One place a little outside of the Twin Cities that I've bought a few things from is Music Connection in Forrest Lake.

I'm not sure if they still do it, but at one time I believe some of their repair work was going to leonard shapiro, who has his own little repair shop over by the U (He also hosts the sunday night jam at famous daves). At any rate, I take all my work there, and he is top notch.

• Members

Back in the 80s I used to get a lot of stuff from Daves Guitar Emporium on Nicollet Ave.

I met the guitar player for Gladys Knight there who was then a Pastor. He played Amazing Grace for me using all jazz chords. Very nice guy. Later he prayed for me and my buddy out on the sidewalk which caused my buddy some embarrassment when a total stranger walked by and was looking at us so my buddy asked the stranger if he would like to join us which gave us all a big laugh.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Yet another plug for Lavonne Music in Savage. :thu:

I've been frequenting LaVonnes for almost 20 years now. It is an awesome, very laid back "mom and pop"-type shop with very knowledgeable and NON-PUSHY staff. Pete's dad, Charlie started the shop around 1970 I think. Charlie passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly a few years ago. I miss him a lot. They have lots of great guitars, but if you're looking for "fru-fru" boutique amps...you won't find them here. But, if you are a collector, or just have money to burn and want an "impossible-to-find" vintage guitar from Gibson or Fender, Pete is your man. Not only does he have an extensive personal collection, he is one of the most well respected and well connected vintage guitar guys anywhere!

I describe LaVonnes and a cross between a GREAT guitar shop and Floyd's Barber Shop from the Andy Griffith show. You will always find guys just "hangin out" and chatting about everything under the sun. I don't shop anywhere else. Pete, Pancho, Tim and Rachel will help you find anything you need (even if they don't carry it) and will give you an unbeatable, fair price to boot!

Just try to walk out of there NOT whistling the theme song from the Andy Griffith show!

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Anybody remember Burns Music from back in the '80's? Taking the trip down to the basement to check out guitars always made me feel like I was so cool... doing something illicit in a back steet alleyway, you know, the 'ol "pssst.... kid, over here... wanna see something cool?" sort of thing. Bought some cool guitars there that I still have, including a '61 slab neck Strat and a '67 SG Standard that was my main playing axe for years.

Regards,

• Members

Anybody remember Burns Music from back in the '80's? Taking the trip down to the basement to check out guitars always made me feel like I was so cool... doing something illicit in a back steet alleyway, you know, the 'ol "pssst.... kid, over here... wanna see something cool?" sort of thing. Bought some cool guitars there that I still have, including a '61 slab neck Strat and a '67 SG Standard that was my main playing axe for years.

Regards,

Hahahah, yeah Jim Burns Music. I bought my first Marshall head from them in '77. The best most juiciest sounding Marshall I've ever heard or had the pleasure to play. It was a JMP 50w Master Volume Mk II Lead. Sweeeeet!

I like the Roseville Music-Go-Round, too. They always seem to have something a little different on hand.

• Members

Hahahah, yeah Jim Burns Music. I bought my first Marshall head from them in '77. The best most juiciest sounding Marshall I've ever heard or had the pleasure to play. It was a JMP 50w Master Volume Mk II Lead. Sweeeeet!

I like the Roseville Music-Go-Round, too. They always seem to have something a little different on hand.

Wasen't that the place that was in a big old White house on Pillsbury Ave or something like that. I remeber that Basement well.

Archived