I'm building an amp...

mcinku

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I already did some work on it...

...installed tube sockets, wired the heaters and installed the pots and solder the brass rod

TWexpress2.jpg

This is probably not going to be the prettiest wiring around but hopefully it will sound good.

Let me tell you something... building amps is not as easy as it looks.

;)

• Members

Hope it goes well for you - at least the Chassis is pre-drilled.

I'd suggest just watching lead dress on something higher gain like that. If you got sent any diagrams/images suggesting where to lay wires then stick with them carefully, or you'll risk lots of hum/other unpleasant noises.

:thu:

Talking about pre-drilled chassis...

I had to drill 4 holes, 'cause my trannies didn't fit... I didn't bought them from Nik... and man I ended up with two Tetanus shots and now I can't play a guitar for two weeks. I had some lousy drill bit, damn thing snaped and I hurt my finger bad. :mad::mad:

:facepalm:

BTW

I'm armed with documents, photos of various TW builds including the famous Francesca.

;)

• Members

Talking about pre-drilled chassis...

I had to drill 4 holes, 'cause my trannies didn't fit... I didn't bought them from Nik... and man I ended up with two Tetanus shots and now I can't play a guitar for two weeks. I had some lousy drill bit, damn thing snaped and I hurt my finger bad.
:mad:
:mad:

:facepalm:

I was thinking of getting a part kit from Metro amps and reusing the chassis and the transformers from another amp, but it would have meant a lot of tricky re-drilling of the chassis and I don't have the right drill bits, I've heard you can get good results drilling at low speed with a step drill bit though.

• Members

I was thinking of getting a part kit from Metro amps and reusing the chassis and the transformers from another amp, but it would have meant a lot of tricky re-drilling of the chassis and I don't have the right drill bits, I've heard you can get good results drilling at low speed with a step drill bit though.

I just came from the shop... this time I bought some quality drill bits. This will never happen again. I already throw away that junk I had before. I'm never going to buy cheap tools again. Even if I will not use it often.

I'm so pissed about this, especially 'cause I can't play.

:rolleyes:

• Members

"trainwreck"?

LOL

They were famous hand-made amps from NJ by a guy named Ken Fischer (Fisher?). I'm in the process of rebuilding an Express and building a Liverpool, so I'm very excited to see more pics! Your project is looking great so far!

• Members

Well, that gives you two weeks to work on the amp.

Take your time and wire neatly. Bend those little 90 degree angles and everything.

While you aren't build a SLO or something that is extremely sensitive to lead dress, the Wreck does have some gain, so the last thing you want is hum to be amplified.

I'll be following this thread.

Currently I'm repairing this...

IMG_0728_sml.jpg

Gibson GA-20, Unfortunately it looks like i may have to complete remove everything from one preamp tube socket, and measure values to find a short or break, no sound on one channel.

P.S. Those are some shiny transformer end bells you got there.

• Members

Well, that gives you two weeks to work on the amp.

Take your time and wire neatly. Bend those little 90 degree angles and everything.

While you aren't build a SLO or something that is extremely sensitive to lead dress, the Wreck does have some gain, so the last thing you want is hum to be amplified.

I'll be following this thread.

IMG_0728_sml.jpg
Gibson GA-20, Unfortunately it looks like i may have to complete remove everything from one preamp tube socket, and measure values to find a short or break, no sound on one channel.

How come old amps are such a mess but still sound so good... well most of them anyhow.

I wouldn't know where to start if I would have to repaire something like that.

Well, hopefully my amp is going to look much better that that.

;)

:wave:

• Members

better man than I to be attempting a project like that.How many amps have you built?Nice job so far

Believe it or not, this is my first amp build ever.

:eek:

...but I'm not a complete novice at this. I have been modding my amps for a while now and I've been reading end learning about this stuff for a couple of years now. I also have a electrical background but I'm not using that knowledge in my work. I'm an IT guy.

Finally have a chance to utilize some of that knowledge.

• Members

IMG_0728_sml.jpg

P.S. Those are some shiny transformer end bells you got there.

Damn! That's some messy wiring there...

• Members

Damn! That's some messy wiring there...

Thats called point to point wiring. Lots of the old amps were built that way and are still concidered the best way to wire amps:thu:

Good luck on this build, {censored} dude 1st build and tackling a Trainwreck great job CLIPS CLIPS when its done

Subscribed

• Members

They were famous hand-made amps from NJ by a guy named Ken Fischer (Fisher?).

I'm surprised to see Ceriatone is actually calling their clone kit a "Trainwreck," and even more so to see what looks like the late Ken Fischer's name on the documentation in one of the pictures, given his attitude toward clones (as shown here).

Archived