Why does my guitar sound weird??!

Guitin Better

• Members

Lately I'm noticing a weird sound when I play my POS guitar. It may have always been there but I'm really noticing it now. When I play the higher pitched strings with a high gain setting the note sounds jittery or even seems to pulsate like it's out of phase with itself. It seems to settle down after the note rings for a few seconds. Does this make any sense? Does anyone know WTF I'm talking about?

• Members

It could be the string getting pinched in the nut slot or a problem with the nut slot angle, or it could be the strings are too close to the pickups.

I'll check this out! How close should the strings be to the p'ups? The bridge pickup is closer than than the neck pickup. Do they need to similarly spaced? Since it's kind of a POS I've never had the guitar professionally setup. (It's and SX from Rondo and I really like it . . . just sayin' it's not high end gear. The fit and finish is pretty amazing for the price.)

• Members

I'll check this out! How close should the strings be to the p'ups? The bridge pickup is closer than than the neck pickup. Do they need to similarly spaced? Since it's kind of a POS I've never had the guitar professionally setup. (It's and SX from Rondo and I really like it . . . just sayin' it's not high end gear. The fit and finish is pretty amazing for the price.)

Single coils or HBs? For singles I usually start at 3mm and adjust from there. That measurement is take from the bottom of the string to the polepiece while fretting the string at the last fret. HBs can stand to be a little bit closer.

• Members

Single coils or HBs? For singles I usually start at 3mm and adjust from there. That measurement is take from the bottom of the string to the polepiece while fretting the string at the last fret. HBs can stand to be a little bit closer.

Humbuckers. Should both neck and bridge p'ups be about the same distance from the strings?

• Members

Humbuckers. Should both neck and bridge p'ups be about the same distance from the strings?

Usually the Bridge is closer because it sees less vibration, but do whatever it takes to get the two pups balanced. I generally set the neck pup first because I use it more, and it is generally the pup that causes problems IMO. Then, I raise the bridge pup till the two are balanced. Others set the bridge pup first.

• Members

Usually the Bridge is closer because it sees less vibration, but do whatever it takes to get the two pups balanced. I generally set the neck pup first because I use it more, and it is generally the pup that causes problems IMO. Then, I raise the bridge pup till the two are balanced. Others set the bridge pup first.

Thanks for this great advice:thu: Does the problem I'm describing make you think the two pickups may be out of phase with each other? Sounds like I need to back them both off a bit then start adjusting until the sound is better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You may be hearing some string slap from a bad set up. The strings might be rattling on the frets above the note you are playing. Action may be to low or to much relief in the neck. Possibly your frets need to be leveled.

I would take it to a good tech. Chances are a good set up will take care of the issues.

• Members

Well . . . I didn't think this could be the case but I believe it was the ridiculously old strings I was using. I replaced them with a new set of Super Slinky's and the weird sound is gone. Whodathunk?

I was gonna' tell ya' to change strings after reading the entire thread.

I'm a genius.:confused:

• Members

Well . . . I didn't think this could be the case but I believe it was the ridiculously old strings I was using. I replaced them with a new set of Super Slinky's and the weird sound is gone. Whodathunk?

Damn....I didn't even see this before I posted a long responce.:facepalm:

Glad you got it sorted out.

• Members

My pickups are about 4-5mm from the pickups when fretted on the 12th string. Should they be closer?

• Members

Usually "stratitis" - wolf tones and weird notes caused by magnetic pull on the strings affects the thicker strings as you play on the upper frets and is solved by lowering the bass sides of the middle pickup and the neck pickup even more. I suppose its possible that the treble strings could also be affected by super high pickups. Its also possible your strings are just beat, hard to say from here.

Strangely enough, if you have a ceiling fan or big room fan running, turn it off.

Archived