What kind of wood do you prefer for you Strat and why? Alder or Poplar?

elsupermanny14

• Members

Poplar, as with any wood has to be favored by personal preference of the player only. Most people find alder to be far more preferable over poplar. Poplar is like a cheap alternative to other, more favored wood choices.

Everyone is different. I personally prefer an alder body strat with a maple neck/rosewood fretboard and a tele with a light weight ash body and an all maple neck. It's just a tonal preference. In order for you to really understand the differences, you need to play a variety of Strats to hear the differences.

The strat that I prefer has a slightly wider, slightly softer tonal attack then an ash body strat and offers a bit less note attack then an all maple neck strat would offer. Why do I like this combination of woods? Because the strat is normally a thinner sounding guitar to begin with, so I want to help it sound fuller, especially with single coil pickups.

However on a Tele, the instrument just sounds more versatile to me as I described above. Actually, an ash body, all maple neck tele is one of the most versatile, stock instruments going and can sit in with almost any style of music very well, as well as record superbly.

You just need to find the combination of woods by reading about the differences they offer, then playing different combinations of woods to learn how to tune yourself into these differences and find you own desired wood combination. There really is no other way to do it.

• Members

After all the years of playing Strats I prefer Alder/Rosewood. I like the EARLY 60's Strats, By early I mean 60-61 even by 62 the necks were TOO-THIN again. 50's are OK with ASH/MAPLE but have a tendancy to be BRIGHT?

But the Ash and Adler are much nicer Transparent. Thats really the reason they are favored. Poplar, Basswood, and many others have alright Tone but don't have the total package of Grain patterns, Weight, and Tone. Their is usually something missing on them. If they sound good, they look like {censored} or weigh a Ton?

But the Jimmy Vaughn Strats were Poplar for a few years. Not bad with Solid Finishs

Archived