What do you do if your saddles are maxed out and still don't intonate?

metallica_00

• Members

I've got this Squier hanging around (1st guitar) that I've been messing around with, doing some mods. After restringing and setting string height I decided to reset the intonation, but it still intonates a bit sharp with the saddles all the way back. Any way to fix this?

• Members

Truss adjustments can make minor differences. If I remember correctly, less bow (tightening) lengthens the fretboard which would flatten the fretted note assuming same string height.

Good call - that makes sense. I don't seem to have the right tool for this neck - I'll have to get one tomorrow.

• Members

You can cut the springs in half and gain a bit.

Yeah, I've even had one where I had to pull the spring out completely and it came in. But it turned out that the trem post was leaning forward on me. Once I fixed that it came right in and I replaced the spring.

Another thing to look at is the nut. If the slots are too narrow and the string is riding high everytime you fret a note you are pulling that sucker more sharp than it needs to be. Not only will it make it sharper for intonation, but it messes up the intonation over the entire neck. The 1st fret will play sharp because it's the steepest angle and it will eventually come in to correct pitch at the 12th fret as the degree of pull decreases. Plus you would have intonated it there anyway.

• Members

Already have the bridge flat on the body, that's how I like my Strats (not a trem user). The nut could be an issue, but I don't remember this guitar ever being this bad, but it's just been collecting dust for awhile, so I'll try the truss first and see what happens.

Archived