Yamaha folks, Would you consider Yamaha's Japanese factory as a sort of custom shop?

Jkater

• Members

...in term of the materials used, the level of attention given to each guitar and the overall quality of the instruments build there?

I have tried a number of Pacificas coming from Taiwan and other bigger Yamaha factories including the 812 and they are, no doubt, an honest product worth every penny but my MIJ PAC904 is completely something else. Perfect to the most minute detail. Same thing for the SA2200.

I realise very few here are familiar with the Japanese Yammies but to those who are, what do you think?

• Members

No, it's a typical assembly line factory that happens to make good, playable instruments.

Guessing?

You may well be right but there is something uncanny about the consistency of the quality level. I was wondering how it differs from, say, Fender's custom shop? (that must be also a kind of assembly line type factory, no?)

• Members

Guessing?

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/Text_WithCatMenu_XC/0,,CNTID%25253D11251%252526CTID%25253D,00.html

They have skilled workers, to be sure. But most of what they do is really no different than any other factory owned by any other manufacturer - CNC routing, robotic painting stations, etc with a mix of some hand finishing and assembly.

It's like a typical factory but with craftsmen who actually give a damn about the product, that's the difference with Yamaha vs. other Asian imports.

EDIT- just saw your Fender comment. Their custom shop is a separate entity from the factory floor. Those guys are skilled luthiers building one-off models or limited runs artist series guitars. Much of what they do is by hand, and with a high level of detail and care. The factory is basically an assembly line. Not that it means bad quality guitars (Fender's quality control guys reject a TON of stuff), but that's what it is.

• Members

They have skilled workers, to be sure. But most of what they do is really no different than any other factory owned by any other manufacturer - CNC routing, robotic painting stations, etc with a mix of some hand finishing and assembly.

It's like a typical factory but with craftsmen who actually give a damn about the product, that's the difference with Yamaha vs. other Asian imports.

EDIT- just saw your Fender comment. Their custom shop is a separate entity from the factory floor. Those guys are skilled luthiers building one-off models or limited runs artist series guitars. Much of what they do is by hand, and with a high level of detail and care. The factory is basically an assembly line. Not that it means bad quality guitars (Fender's quality control guys reject a TON of stuff), but that's what it is.

You're right on the mark with your comment. Too bad the link doesn't really describe the factories and how they operate. There is a Yamaha factory tour on youtube of their acoustic L series shop and it's an incredibly small shop with true luthiers working with painstaking precision. I would love to know more about the shop where they make their electrics.

• Members

"Yamaha electric guitars, basses and amplifiers are not a product of a single shop or factory. A worldwide network of design, development and production facilities translate into a large group of highly talented individuals working as a team to bring forth innovative ideas and designs."

The new acoustics are made at Fuji Gen.

• Members

...in term of the materials used, the level of attention given to each guitar and the overall quality of the instruments build there?

I have tried a number of Pacificas coming from Taiwan and other bigger Yamaha factories including the 812 and they are, no doubt, an honest product worth every penny but my MIJ PAC904 is completely something else. Perfect to the most minute detail. Same thing for the SA2200.

I realise very few here are familiar with the Japanese Yammies but to those who are, what do you think?

No.

• Members

well I know their Taiwan Factory is brilliant - has been producing excellent guitars since the early 70's especially the FG series acoustics made during the 70's. They are just a wonderful acoustic guitars to record with in the studio that's why they go for big money now those vintage FGs.

• Members
I've owned lots of yamaha gear over the years, everything they make down to the lowest level of acoustics rival gear that's priced twice and even three times as much.

This.

I don't think anyone who has actually owned one would say Yamaha is crap and yes, I think their best stuff comes out of Japan.

Yammis rock.:thu:

• Members

the very first FGs were the two light green lables released in Oct. 1966...FG-150 and 180, and they spelled the end of the all solid wood Dynamics...though the wriring was on the wall with the two S-Dynamics...S50 and S70, both all laminates which came between the Dynamics and the green labels, there may have been some overlap too, hard to say for sure since there were very poor records kept at the time, but the flood gates were opened after the FGs started. Honestly I see red labels here every time I go into shops and they don`t even come close to the Dynamics I have, but I don`t include the FG-1500, 2000 or 2500 in that...but I`ve only ever seen those on line...those were solid Brazilian, some had three piece backs with maple, but they look outstanding...theres an FG-1500 on line now for $4000.oo. I hope to come across one of those locally some day but I`m not holding my breath. Do see some FG-500 series that go for quite a bit over here though I`ve yet to see one in person so I can`t comment on those... but some people pay several hundred for them, close to $1000.oo sometimes. But I`ve already got a lot of great old Dynamics, more than I`ll ever need so I`m happy.

• Members

That's news to me, and pretty surprising if it's true. Got a source for that? I can't find anything in Japanese linking the two.

yeah never heard that before either though I don`t know who is making Yamaha electrics these days. Both my USA II and Pac 10th Anniversary are Warmoth bodies and necks so I guess all somebody had to do was put the parts together. The USA II says MIA on the back of the headstock, and the 10th is very much the same except for different Duncan p`ups. Both are very high quality though, as good as anything I see in shops here today.

• Members

They are reviewed in a recent edition of
Guitarist
(UK). There's an acoustic and an electro.

I can't find anything online in English or Japanese to say they've started outsourcing the Japanese production. Do you know offhand what issue it was in?

• Members

Are those the so-called "red label"? They are very sought after and talked about in the acoustic forum.

end of thread.
:D

the end of the red-label - the bigger % red labels are early 70's made in nippon (Japan).

I got this when I was 7 in 1980. I still have it after 29 years - it was made in 1977-78. Took me a while to grow into it; it is the oldest guitar I have kept because it sounds & plays fantastic- better than my $1500 Maton.

YamahaFG_web.jpg

zMaton_web.jpg

• Members

I can't find anything online in English or Japanese to say they've started outsourcing the Japanese production. Do you know offhand what issue it was in?

November or December 2008. Unfortunately, I left my copy on the plane coming back from CA a couple of nights ago.

• Members

I was hoping Zenbu would show up in this thread. He's the ultimate connaisseur when it comes to Yamaha.

The idea of this thread was to ask if someone knew about the way Japanese Yamahas are made and how they achieve custom shop quality if they are not a "custom shop".

Consider that Gibson has moved all their semi-acoustic manufacturing under the "custom shop" umbrella and we can all agree that they are produced in great numbers, while retaining very high quality (you can bash Gibson all you want, they are good guitars, period). The number of ES-335 produced is perhaps even more than the like of the SA2200/ AES1500 (I'm guessing here but I know however that the Pacifica 904 is a rather rare guitar).

Archived