Which strings?

Munchlaxatives

• Members

I've been using Ernie Ball strings for a few years now, but I've been playing them through a guitar with a tremolo bridge. I just got a Les Paul and I'm about to get some strings on it and I thought I'd get some advice first. I like to play in standard, 1/2 step, and whole step down, so I often change the tuning on my guitar. I've never had a Les Paul bridge before, and I plan on doing that wrap around thing on the bridge that supposedly gives you more sustain and better bends.

I know Elixir are good for acoustics, but are they good for high distortion sounds?

• Members

I've been using Ernie Ball strings for a few years now, but I've been playing them through a guitar with a tremolo bridge. I just got a Les Paul and I'm about to get some strings on it and I thought I'd get some advice first. I like to play in standard, 1/2 step, and whole step down, so I often change the tuning on my guitar. I've never had a Les Paul bridge before, and I plan on doing that wrap around thing on the bridge that supposedly gives you more sustain and better bends.

I know Elixir are good for acoustics, but are they good for high distortion sounds?

I wrap around the too. I don't know if it improves sustain but I like the way it feels. Maybe it's just in my mind but bends feel better this way.

I've always liked DR strings and D'Addario also. Since D'Addrio came out with the Pure Nickel though, they're the only ones I use.

• Members

Ernies are fine. Daddarios are fine. I think the string wrap over the top thing is just something to try to occupy yourself when you are bored. I never found any benefit to it. But that's up to you.

Archived