Anyone use a Tele as they're only guitar?

Goofball Jones

• Members

Just curious if anyone here uses a Tele as their ONLY guitar? I've recently found how versatile this thing is. I mean we always see other saying the Strat is more versatile :blah: and I've always just assumed that this was the case but WOW :eek: I'm in love with these Tele's now and to me they're great!

Thinking of just going Tele only and be done with it. :D

EDIT: And I'm an idiot...the title of the post should be "Their" not "They're"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I've always wanted a Tele, but I've always been skiddish because of the twang. I don't mind clean twang, but i'm afraid of how it sounds distorted.

Well, if you're not opposed to listening to Led Zeppelin's first album, the entire thing was recorded with a Tele. No twang. :thu:

And of course the solo in "Stairway to Heaven" was a Tele also. Not much twang on that either. :D

• Members

My only two guitars here in Brooklyn are Teles and I'd be completely happy playing only them. But my girlfriend has a Squier Jagmaster, so I get a little variety here and there.

My No. 1 is my '72 RI Tele Custom, though. That covers just about everything I do.

• Members

I've always wanted a Tele, but I've always been skiddish because of the twang. I don't mind clean twang, but i'm afraid of how it sounds distorted.

I'd actually welcome the twang. After years of never really caring for Teles, I finally saw the light and ordered one. Should be here next week.

As for how it sounds distorted, there's a guy who posts here who put up a video of him playing some serious brewtulz on a tele and it kicks ass!!! I wish I remembered what thread that was on.

• Members

When I used to play out often all I'd bring was a tele and an acoustic for a slower set. The tele would cover anything we wanted to play. I do have other guitars that I love, and if I played now it would probably be 90% tele, but I'd probably bring along either the SE Soapbar or the viper, maybe a strat as a backup.

• Members

My only electric is a Tele, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

I don't think you should worry about the twang. I don't like a twangy sound, but I still love my Tele. The twang is easy enough to get rid (tone knob, amp eq, etc.), so you really shouldn't worry about it.

• Members

My 2 main guitars are teles, I own others I play if I'm doing something other than my main band, but the Teles do most things for me,.

Having said that they are anything but stock, neither have telecaster single coils in, and both have bigsbys, but still have the tele twang.

Even my electric mandolin is a mini tele.

• Members

I got 2 Teles, and I really like them. But I also got four other guitars and I like playing those too. So the Teles aren't my main guitars, in fact I don't have a main guitar. But if I had to, I can use a Tele as my only guitar. They're awesome guitars :phil:

• Members
Just curious if anyone here uses a Tele as their ONLY guitar? I've recently found how versatile this thing is. I mean we always see other saying the Strat is more versatile
:blah:
and I've always just assumed that this was the case but WOW
:eek:
I'm in love with these Tele's now and to me they're great!

Thinking of just going Tele only and be done with it.
:D

EDIT: And I'm an idiot...the title of the post should be "Their" not "They're"

Well, my Les Paul gets played at home, but rarely in a performance. My Tele is just so stinkin' nice...I can't put it down! My LP is my lone back-up right now.

• Members

I use a Tele exclusively. Very versatile, however I wish it had an hb in the bridge, which will be solved shortly. However, I can fatten the sound up pretty good, much better than when I used a Strat. Teles go from acoustic to twang to heavy just like that.

Archived