WTF are you working on learning these days, i.e. your latest tune?

GAS Man

• Members

For me, I've been working on getting into this Bonamassa grove (jacked from ZZ-Top)

Just Got Paid Today

[YOUTUBE]4_g4M9C5QKs[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.tabcrawler.com/search.php?show=viewfile&letter=z&artist=zz%20top&tabname=just%20got%20paid%20tab&tabtype=guitar%20tab&id=87399

I used that as a starting point and then altered it a bit by watching the vid.

P.S. I've worked on it enough and gotten good enough on it to thoroughly drive the wife into flight mode.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Working on 3 covers:

- The Police: King of Pain

- A 12-string acoustic version of The Killers' Mr. Brightside (might have a couple of acoustic gigs pending, one at a college pub)

- Marvin Gaye: What's Goin' On (I already know this one, but I'm using it as a "follow the chart" exercise)

• Members

For the past several months I've been working on a bunch of stuff that was covered by The Ventures, but not necessarily their version. They just happened to cover it.

Hawaii Five-0 - The Ventures

Ghost Riders In The Sky - The Ventures

Batman Theme - The Ventures

Wipeout - The Surfaris

Pipeline - The Chantays

Miserlou - Dick Dale

There are a few others but these are the ones I work on regularly.

• Members

For the past several months I've been working on a bunch of stuff that was covered by The Ventures, but not necessarily their version. They just happened to cover it.

Hawaii Five-0 - The Ventures

Ghost Riders In The Sky - The Ventures

Batman Theme - The Ventures

Wipeout - The Surfaris

Pipeline - The Chantays

Miserlou - Dick Dale

There are a few others but these are the ones I work on regularly.

Interesting. I'm like a life long student of Wipeout. :lol: Kinda hard to play it fast enough without missing a note. Miserlou is also one I've played with, never quite got it all the way, but can fake it a bit. Pipeline is one that's been in my ditty bag for some time (along with Walk Don't Run), and Ghost Riders in the Sky, is pretty cool. I remember working on that just a year or two ago and then setting it down. I got a good tab for it from Power Tabs before they went down. :cry:

Diamond Head, Surf Rider and Perfidia are a few other surf tunes I used to play frequently.

• Members

Interesting. I'm like a life long student of Wipeout.
:lol:
Kinda hard to play it fast enough without missing a note. Miserlou is also one I've played with, never quite got it all the way, but can fake it a bit. Pipeline is one that's been in my ditty bag for some time (along with Walk Don't Run), and Ghost Riders in the Sky, is pretty cool. I remember working on that just a year or two ago and then setting it down. I got a good tab for it from Power Tabs before they went down.
:cry:

Diamond Head, Surf Rider and Perfidia are a few other surf tunes I used to play frequently.

If you have any good Surf PowerTabs feel free to send them my way. I use Guitar Pro 5 and slow the tunes down, which helps quite a bit. It takes me quite a while to learn a complete tune as I'm still fairly new to this game. It's coming along though.

Walk Don't Run and Apache are definitely in my future.

• Members

Right now, I'm working on the tapping the verses to Bloodmeat by Protest the Hero. They're not too hard, but my clumsy hands keep hitting extra notes. :mad:

Then, I'm planning on working on BTBAM's Selkies. That might take a while, especially since the solo is really {censored}ing hard. :facepalm:

• Members

I've got to get into working on that one. My stepson plays it frequently and makes me jealous of his fingertude. I used to play Lenny then forgot it.
:mad:

I try to practice an SRV song at least once a week if not more to get me to use my thumb more...When every song you play is dropped for ease of live applications cause I am Lead Vocals in my band. It tends to lead to lazy playing...SRV = Instant kick in the ass:thu:

• Members

If you have any good Surf PowerTabs feel free to send them my way. I use Guitar Pro 5 and slow the tunes down, which helps quite a bit. It takes me quite a while to learn a complete tune as I'm still fairly new to this game. It's coming along though.

Walk Don't Run and Apache are definitely in my future.

I'll work on it. Yeah, I forgot Apache. That's another I used to play. I had a guitar teacher some time ago and he was loading me up with surf tunes, cuz that's what I bring him.

I'll work on sending some your way.

Maybe I can do some scans and e-mail them. I'll have to figure out what I've got and the format. It ranges from Power Tab to sketched out lessons to sections in books.

Do you also like Hank Marvin?

[YOUTUBE]kePvfBDk290[/YOUTUBE]

this is a pretty cool album

514GMJSKR3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

• Members

A bunch of Led Zeppelin songs that I don't practice enough. I'd practice for a few minutes, then suddenly switch, and start playing another song I already know lol. I have bad practicing habits haha :D

Ten Years Gone

The Rover (learning the solo, got the main song)

Sick Again

The Ocean

Bring It On Home

The Wanton Song

And by Hendrix:

Castles Made of Sand

White Stripes:

I Can't Wait

Some of these are real easy songs, I just don't spend enough time getting them perfect.

• Members

I try to practice an SRV song at least once a week if not more to get me to use my thumb more...When every song you play is dropped for ease of live applications cause I am Lead Vocals in my band. It tends to lead to lazy playing...SRV = Instant kick in the ass:thu:

God, I hate trying to use my thumb. I'm thumb retarded which is a decided disadvantage for both SRV and Jimi.

Good idea, i.e. the weekly regiment.

• Members

Although not electric, this, I've got most of it down and it's incredibly fun and rewarding to learn.

That's cool. My stepson surprised me with getting this Hedges ditty down.

[YOUTUBE]XqGHE5GqZ44[/YOUTUBE]

Although he was a great acoustic player, he apparently wasn't that great at driving. :(

• Members

God, I hate trying to use my thumb. I'm thumb retarded which is a decided disadvantage for both SRV and Jimi.

Good idea, i.e. the weekly regiment.

Its definitely a PITA, but to nail all the subtle changes you gotta use the thumb for the root with alot of both SRV and Jimi. Even with Frusciante, he uses his thumb alot....I have to break out my daphne blue partscaster just to practice this each week (it has the smallest neck)

Archived