ATC Introduces Two-Track Digital Recording Format at AES

Music Calgary

• Members

is nothing more then a recorder with an AES/EBU protocol with AES3 standard IEC 60958 and IEC 60958 parts, writing the data uncompressed and free of loss to memory sticks, or via HD-SDI to hard drive, just like all audio and video (HDCAM and CineAlta) recorder today.

but it doesn't say anywhere what the format is this new machine will record, probably analogue to recycled tapes made of used t-shirt made in Bangladesh...

• CMS Author

TransAudio Group hasn't just taken them on. I believe they've been distributing ATC for around a decade or so.

Brad contacted me about helping him with some web site material for the ATC line. I assumed it was new to him, but maybe not. No matter. Maybe he's just decided that this is the right time to push them. I'm sure that those who have heard of ATC could always find them. He just wants to try to make more people aware of them. That's what he does for a living.

ATC has been at AES for years, but I don't think AES is the best showcase for something like high end monitors. You really need to hear them at a studio or work with a pair to appreciate them. Which may be what all this new format business is about.

This is the case for any monitor. AES is where the people who could afford ATC monitors go so it's a good place to expose them to the brand and give them the best listening opportunity they can get at a trade show. I wouldn't expect anyone to buy a set after hearing the demo at the AES show (though some might) but at least they'll be aware of the brand if they don't know about it, they'll get some propaganda about the care with which they're built and the few design innovations, and they'll know who to go to if they want to get a set into their studio on demo.

I believe Sony's SACD installation used ATCs to showcase the format, which demonstrated the speakers better than the standard AES display.

I recall a Sony SACD demo room a few years back that didn't sound so good. I don't remember what the speakers were, but given the setup I wouldn't have expected any speakers to sound impressive. Hopefully room 111 will be better. There are more portable acoustic treatments available now than when Sony had that mediocre sounding demo, so maybe they'll do a better job of getting the best out of the speakers. In a bad room, you never hear what the speakers really sound like.

Brad Lunde has been selling ATC for many years. However, I believe his company is called TransAudio. "Transamerica" is a movie about a transsexual on a road trip.

Well, his checks say "Transamerica Audio Group" on them. The web site is indeed "TransAudio" dot com. The planer English version of the ATC paper is on the web site for the Las Vegas Pro Audio branch of Brad's company. It still sounds like marketing material, but that's what a web site is.

• Members

Remember the recordings that Ray Kimber (Kimber Cables) was making a few years back, using a microphone setup that he was selling that looked like a huge heart-shaped baffle with a high quality omni mic on each side? It was essentially a Jecklin disk, and intended for fixed installations where the mic was always in the right place for the room. He recorded on a TASCAM DA-78HR and offered either 96 kHz or DSD(?) tapes.

• Members

C'est du
quoi
???
:confused:

During CD playback, a significant quantity of stray laser light bounces around inside a CD. This stray light eventually finds its way back to the pick-up assembly, creating jitter. CD Stoplight was developed to passively reduce the effects of stray light. By absorbing the stray light at the transport passively, rather than attempting to reduce its effects downstream electronically, jitter is reduced at the source, keeping it out of the playback chain.

Packaged with a special applicator, CD Stoplight is easy to apply. It is non-toxic, environmentally friendly and will not flake or peel. Compact Discs treated with CD Stoplight sound more neutral, less edgy and significantly more open.

CD Stoplight is the tweak by which all other tweaks are measured. It has enjoyed, since its release in 1990, no less than six trips to the venerated Audiophile Superbowl

• Members

Not to worry. The 'new format' is 192kbps/24bit... it's just been slathered up in a new shiny coat of something probably chemically similar to the liquid fatty acids derived from certain snakes.

My favorite quote: "I was confronted with a large image that was three-dimensional, stable and coherent whilst also having natural acoustics." (Billy Woodman, president of ATC, who'll be featuring the new 'format' in their AES show room.)

Heady praise we've only heard about 300 times this year applied to everything from other presumably legit products to $27 marking pens for treating the edges of your CDs (prevents opto-quantum interference, donchya know).

BTW, the article actually gets it closer to right, saying it's a 'new technique' pioneered by the Sheffield Lab guys. Recording at 192kbps/24 bit through expensive converters. Take out a patent, guys, no one ever thought of
that
one before.
:D

'Whilst' huh? Methinks he doth too freely partake of thine renaissance cliches.

• Members

I recall a Sony SACD demo room a few years back that didn't sound so good. I don't remember what the speakers were, but given the setup I wouldn't have expected any speakers to sound impressive. Hopefully room 111 will be better. There are more portable acoustic treatments available now than when Sony had that mediocre sounding demo, so maybe they'll do a better job of getting the best out of the speakers. In a bad room, you never hear what the speakers really sound like.

I don't believe that was the SACD / ATC room. The "SACD / ATC Room" was a special installation in which Sony gave demos at the bottom of every hour, I recall. You'd have to get tickets for the "show," ... it was all very Disney Land of them.

• Members

No reason to be crapulous about anything, I love cat logic, especially what the men say when they just wake up

Miau

Mizzy M. Van Doren

My dear Mizzy,

A thousand meows. By the time I woke up, I was already late for my morning nap. I... was not myself. But no crapulousness from me, ever, I promise.

Purrily yours,

Duddits "Dudddits" Van Duddits

Archived