is this a good plan???

darryl2112

• Members

Hello all, I usually only frequent the effects page, but figured this what be a better place for a discussion like this. .....Concerning (independent) labels and how to get there attention.

I have been working on a record for the past 2 years and am gettin to the point where its almost time to either start shopping it and get mastered or get it mastered and start shopping it. I couldn't seem to keep a band together, and being able to play everything , I decided instead of self funded tours and endless hours of practice, I would make a record, try to shop it, and then put a real band together after the band(basicly me) is signed, think Trent Reznor's begining with the NIN project.

The record is sounding good, about as good as anybody else doing this kind of music(sonic youth-esque rock),and its almost finished minus mastering . so in my mind, that would seem attractive from a label's standpoint because that would be one less thing(studio time) they would have to pay for. The songs are good and I have had people in the industry swear that I could be doing this if the stick with it.

I have started to doubt my plan now because it seems that a lot of labels want the opposite, they would rather you have a band with a following and no record than have a record but no band. Of course I have only actually seen this statement on one label's site, Matador.

I guess really the only reason I even see for a label in my situation would be to help pay for mastering, distribute the record, and help get me on the road playing with a national act that is similar to what I am doing(the breeders wouldn't be bad:wave:).....I have never looked into management, I am not really sure if getting on a label is what I need or if management would get me where I am wanting to go....any feedback on this?????

• Members

Unless you're a known quantity, you're putting the cart before the horse. I'm not saying impossible to get signed as an unknown with no band, no fan base and not playing anywhere, just like it's not impossible to win the lottery. But realistically what are your chances?

The recording industry in particular and the music business in general has undergone quantum changes since NIN came out. The sad fact is, the chances of any record company signing someone like yourself and investing the money it would take just to get you a fanbase is slim to none. The profit margins are just too slim these days. Not saying you oughtn't try, but I wouldn't expect much for the effort you'd be expending.

What I'd advise is for you to finish your CD and take out some local advertising, get it placed in some local retail stores (Borders, indie record stores, etc) and have some decent posters made that can be displayed with your CDs and see how they sell. This will tell you a lot. If you can't sell a few hundred CDs in a few months where people know you, why would a record company want to invest in you? And if you can sell that many in a relatively short time, you may be onto something.

FWIW I got my last CD mastered at DRT Mastering in Peterborough NH and it was around 5-600 dollars. And they did a great job.

Good luck!

• Members

As a fellow multi-instrumentalist/vocalist/songwriter, I would first like to congratulate you on completing your album to your satisfaction. :) That's half the battle right there.

Finding distribution is the far more difficult half. I know a lot of people that do home recording, but few of them sell albums and even when they do, it isn't in very large numbers.

One thing you may encounter is some resistance to carrying your CD. I approached a local music store that used to be alternative and local artist-friendly and cheerfully asked them if they would carry my CD singles in their store on consignment. The owner told me that unless I was playing out live somewhere (and under that specific name), they would have to decline. He said that if people don't know you as a performer, even on the local scene, they won't buy your tapes or CDs. He then waved over to a bunch of stuff from local artists that had been sitting there collecting dust for years. A bit disheartening, so try to find places that are open to the idea of selling your CD.

• Members

great points all around. I have already thought about the whole "why would a record company take a risk on someone who is virtually invisible on all levels?"...... I guess my answer to myself would be that if the record was already made and sounded like a "real record" that only needed distrubition to be a finished product, and the songs were atleast on par with other artists on the label, and the only thing the band needed other than distribution is to be paired up with another band on tour to get exposure, than the costs wouldn't be anywhere near the costs of signing band under normal conditions (having to actually pay for the recordings and all that)....it wouldn't be as much of a financial risk on the front end...

Yes, of course the industry is almost unrecognizable from what it was in 1989, the only reason I even consider this plan at all is I have had people who's opinion I value tell me the stuff is easily on par with things that Sonic Youth rip offs like Blonde Redhead and such have done. One of these people being someone who has done business with NIN and My Bloody Valentine....So I am starting to believe that the record could actually stand on its own atleast initially until people actually get to know the band.

I guess the main things that I need that I can't provide for myself are distribution and connections with other national acts for touring. I am convinced that the whole "online iTunes distribution" thing is just gonna be a bottomless pit to nowhere for me. Of course, I will do it, but I don't feel that there alot of people running to itunes trying to find unsigned bands.

My online presence is about the same as my offline presence, not really one to speak of as far as the band goes.

• Members

Hey, I feel your pain!

I'll just say that distributors run the same way record companies do-they'll want to know where you're playing (the kind of gigs), how often, what markets, for how long....I had a hard copy distributor in 1999 and they wanted to know all that. Because distribution requires stores all over the place to stock your CD and if you aren't a market presence, with internet, radio and/or live performance, no one is likely to buy. CDs that don't get sold get returned. Too many returns gets you dropped.

I know it sucks and it isn't what any of us wants to hear, but the days of labels that can do anything for you signing unknown and unproven talent and dumping a ton of promo into them to make them sellable are pretty much over.

• Members

You may have a better chance of getting a manager to take a shot on your career. If you have a great sounding recording, some good photos and a bio that sounds promising, you may get enough interest from someone with the knowledge and connections to help you raise some money, put a band together, and get a label/distribution deal.

This all works on the assumption that it's a great recording and you look both young and attractive. If you don't have all those things going for you, I'm afraid there's no shortcut to forming a group and paying your dues. Unless your Clive's grandson or something.

• Members

I don't know what you should do about the record. But I'd say this BlueStat dude sounds like he knows his stuff. You should listen to him.

But why don't you use your record for a more attainable goal? Like as a calling card for getting gigs? Even solo stuff. You've got an ambitious plan, but maybe it's a little backwards. You should strive to make it as a live musician before banking it in as a recording artist.

• Members

No one wants to take something that may not sell. You need to prove your product will sell.

I would complete the CD and start playing shows, build a following.....then go from there. You may get some small shops to see your CD, but without solid label backing it is not going to get in many stores. I would use things such as CD baby and others to help get sales.

• Moderators

No one wants to take something that may not sell. You need to prove your product will sell.

I would complete the CD and start playing shows, build a following.....then go from there. You may get some small shops to see your CD, but without solid label backing it is not going to get in many stores. I would use things such as CD baby and others to help get sales.

And there it is...labels do not take chances. How many 'finished/distribution ready recordings' do you think they get submitted daily through people they already have relationships with? How many unsolicited 'finished/distribution ready recordings' do you think they toss in the trash daily?

With no prior sales, no airplay, no resume...why would they even spin your disc to check it out? IT'S BUSINESS...and labels are all about the 'sure thing'...which is all about $..can you guarantee them that they will make a sizable profit on your release?

No, how could you?:wave:

Archived