My strat got stolen, can't decide how to replace it(G&L mabye?)

Sarricola_Sauce

• Members

I had my favorite (and only) guitar lifted the other day. It was my own fault. I left my girlfriends place at like 2am half asleep, went home, forgot i had gear in my backseat, and i forgot to lock it. I'm a total idiot and will never let a guitar leave my sight again. Lesson learned. I also had a Modulus bass taken that belonged to the guitar store i work at. Luckily i have the best boss on earth, Buddy, and he was very cool about it. It went something like this

me in tears............... 'Buddy, i dont know how to tell you this, but i forgot to lock my car, and your modulus got stolen, they took me strat, and i have no idea what to do and i'm scared, holy {censored} I am so sorry'

him: '..................you're strat got stolen?!!?!?! Thats awful'

The guitar was a black USA strat with fralin pickups. It had white controls and pickup covers. I was tryin to make it look like the david gilmour strat. I wasn't a strat guy until i got this guitar but when i got it i sold all my other guitars. I was gunna keep that guitar forever.

So now i'm in a wierd place. I have a giggin band and i teach professionaly and i have no instrument. The store I work at deals G&L so my boss offered to let me order a custom G&L for close to dealer cost and he's gunna let me pay what i can outa my paycheck every week. Pretty rad eh? But i'm not sure what type of axe I wanna get.

Part of me wants to ease the pain by getting something with a fancy top, lotsa options, the fancy guitar i'd always wanted but could never afford. One of my students got a custom shop G&L recently and he dropped about 2k on it, checked all the little boxes on the custom order form, if ya know what i mean. His is pretty sexy, cherryburst, birdseye neck with the gunoil tint. IT's very tits. The other part of me wants to get a solid color, possibly black with white trim like the old one. My old guitar was a workhorse, and i was ready to keep it forever, so perhaps something more utilitarian would suite me better. I'm not sure. I'm in this wierd place where I want my new guitar to have some sort of sentimental value to me like my strat did, but I don't know what or how to do to make that happen.

Part of me is afraid that if i get a fancy flame top and all the custom options i'm just gunna see it as a lawyer guitar and lose interest with it. I'm not sure.

I also can't decide if want the Legacy model, which has vintage pickups, or the S-500 which are a lil smoother sounding and have the extra pickup switching options.

i guess these are the two extremes i cant settle apon.

Very vintage, I could see this guitar in my hands for another 40 years

LEGACY_VintWht_RW_Cr.jpg

This one would look killer on stage, very sexy, much more expensive:

269172.jpg

Whaddya guys think? I'm not lookin for advise persay. I'm just writing to vent a lil bit and was just curious if anyone else has been in a similiar situation. It's a very odd time for me right now.

• Members

Sorry to hear. even if you were careless, the scumbag should get his nuts in a vice.

I love the look of the Commanche. FYI, they do make a Tribute of it now. Keep in mind though, you are going to be hard pressed to find replacement pickups for it if you ever want to go that way

• Members

i'd go for the white/rw board strat-style.

i've always wanted a white/rw board strat w/tort pickguard.

what did your boss have to say about the modulus?

yeah, thats another thing, I'm really liking the white with off white pickguard, but I need a maple fretboard and i wanna get that sweet yellow tint, mabye that wouldnt get along with the vintage white? I dunno

My boss said he didnt want me to even think about the modulus until we figured out what to do about gettin me a new guitar. very cool. Luckily we took that guitar in as part of a trade so like 2/3rs of its value were kind of tied to other instruments so only gotta pay my boss what he had into it, about 500 bucks, rather than the price we were askin on the sales floor which was prolly well over a grand.

• Members

Sorry to hear. even if you were careless, the scumbag should get his nuts in a vice.

I love the look of the Commanche. FYI, they do make a Tribute of it now. Keep in mind though, you are going to be hard pressed to find replacement pickups for it if you ever want to go that way

Yeah i definatly wont be gettin the commanche for that reason, i just liked the finish on the pic.

• Members

I prefer the white one.

Sorry you got your gear stolen. Have you reported it to the police? I'd suggest you contact local pawn shops, too. Maybe even put a note on Craigslist in your area. Give everyone a heads-up to be looking for it.

Oh most def, theres only about 4 guitar stores in my area and i teach at two of em and i'm widely known at the other two. People know me and what gear I play. The thief would have to take it may miles away for someone to not recognise it as my guitar. I'm really hoping someday someone trys to bring it to the store i work at to try to sell it, I would be in heaven.

• Members
How ironic would it be if the scumbag tried to sell/trade it back to the store you work at? You could get the gear back, and beat the {censored} out of him, too!

:thu:

'Do you guys buy used instruments?'

'Oh yeah, we're lookin for solid color strats especially, whaddya got.......wow that is pretty, i love the black with white trim, you have good taste sir..................hey Steve, lock the door please.......'

• Members

Your boss is a good man to overlook the loss of a Modulus.

If I was in your position, I'd buy a decent player strat (i.e. sub $500) and save up the cash for a nicer guitar another day. I wouldn't want to go in debt to own a nice guitar.

Also (just me here), I'd let the boss take money out of my paycheck to pay for the Modulus.

But between the two strats you are looking at? The second one appeals to me more than the white strat.

• Members

Your boss is a good man to overlook the loss of a Modulus.

If I was in your position, I'd buy a decent player strat (i.e. sub $500) and save up the cash for a nicer guitar another day. I wouldn't want to go in debt to own a nice guitar.

Also (just me here), I'd let the boss take money out of my paycheck to pay for the Modulus.

But between the two strats you are looking at? The second one appeals to me more than the white strat.

The modulus has already been paid for, I had to cover it of course. I'm reletivly debt free at the moment so the guitar aint gunna break me persay. I am leaning more toward the solid color though. If i'm lucky it may come out to just a hair under a grand.

• Members

I'm sorry about what happened. Ive had gear stolen as well and it is pretty infuriating. In my opinion either G&L would be a significant step up. If you want a great strat sound, go for the Legacy. If you want more versatility and a "bigger" tone go for the Comanche. The Comanche is a very unique and under rated instrument - nothing out there quite sounds like it. The S-500 will sound a bit like the Comanche, bit just a bit more strat like. The MFD pickups on the S-500 are super quiet and get a wide array of tones.

• Members

Can't go wrong with any sort of G&L, really.

I'd say one of their colored bursts would be pretty cool. Or, even, there was this one idea for a Strat I had a long time ago, maybe you'd like something like this...."Goldie"....a good piece of swamp ash or a flame maple veneer, one of those amazing tinted birdseye necks they do....not overly fancy, but still fancy-ish, a sort of balance?

l_a2dadc4dc1616bf2c6ffbca93f8fe0d1.png

• Members

Your boss sounds very cool. What shop do you work at? I'm in Illinois as well.

As far as your choice, I have both a MIA Strat and a Legacy and I like the strat but I love the legacy. I'm not a big fan of strats with quilted, figured or flamed tops. You could always split the difference and go with one of G&L's transparent finishes over an ash body. I think those go for a little over a grand. G&L typically uses really nice ash with beautiful grain. Personally, when I get a new G&L, I'm leaning towards the blonde or honeyburst over ash. The honeyburst kind of looks like the strat in the post above. Both are sweet.

• Members

The guy that stole your {censored} will get it. What goes around comes around. Hopefully he gets cancer. Stealing someones hard earned property just makes no {censored}ing since. I mean people that steal need to be herded up and {censored}in shot with a howitzer.

Good luck. Go with a Fender Custom Shop. I take that back. Get what you want!!! The one thing I would say is try to play what ever you get before you get it. IT would suck to order a customer G and L and not like how it plays. You cant go wrong with the USA strat dude.

Good luck

• Members

I like 'em both, but I love the second one. Partly because I'm a maple board guy, partly because it's just plain gorgeous, and partly because I love those pup's. I've owned four G&L's: two S-500's, and ASAT Classic, and an ASAT Special. I could kick myself for selling any of them, but especially the ASAT Special: killer playability, killer tone, white blonde finish, gun-oil neck w/ maple board.

• Members

Good luck. Go with a Fender Custom Shop. I take that back. Get what you want!!! The one thing I would say is try to play what ever you get before you get it. IT would suck to order a customer G and L and not like how it plays. You cant go wrong with the USA strat dude.

Good luck

yeah i've thought about this. We had two USA Legacys come a month ago. One in fullerton red and the other in sunburst. The red guitar had slightly lower action and more of a 'tingy' timbre out of the box compared to the sunburst one, but after a setup they felt identical. My student has one he ordered from the factory sight unseen and i AB'd it today alongside the others and they really did feel the same. The only difference was the weight due to the heavy maple cap on my students ( he got a rather fancy guitar with lots of options), other than that they felt the same. I went to a few stores to try a couple nicer fenders just to see what was out there, but i think the awsome deal i can get on the G&L cannot be beat at the moment.

• Members

Yeah i definatly wont be gettin the commanche for that reason, i just liked the finish on the pic.

Trust me - you won't want replacement pickups. I've tried several

Comanches over the years and the TONE is just unbelievable, the

frequency range of those pickups is just stellar.

Seriously, try a Comanche out. If I'd had the cash I would have gone

for it when I had the opportunity but I can see being cautious especially

if your #1 was walked away with by someone who needs their legs

broken.

Sorry to hear of your loss. That's just sucky when someone steals your

guitars.

Another thought is the new American Standard Strats with the fancy case,

a friend just got one of those and it was very nice indeed, came with a

strap with cable and all kinds of little bits in the case which was nice.

• Members

Trust me - you won't want replacement pickups. I've tried several

Comanches over the years and the TONE is just unbelievable, the

frequency range of those pickups is just stellar.

Seriously, try a Comanche out. If I'd had the cash I would have gone

for it when I had the opportunity but I can see being cautious especially

if your #1 was walked away with by someone who needs their legs

broken.

Sorry to hear of your loss. That's just sucky when someone steals your

guitars.

Another thought is the new American Standard Strats with the fancy case,

a friend just got one of those and it was very nice indeed, came with a

strap with cable and all kinds of little bits in the case which was nice.

yeah we have a commanche hollow body at work, its rather heavy and it has a rosewood fretboard which I don't care for so i havent' really fallen in love with it like i did the legacy. We had an S-500 too that i loved but we sold it a couple weeks back, i wish we still had it so i could AB it with a legacy. I think the S-500 may be the a happy medium between the legacy and the commanche

Archived