`Twist' named top song of Billboard Hot 100 era

Music Calgary

• Members

The Twist was huge... it was a social phenomen, the pivot point between 50's rock and roll and 60's rock and soul. Loosely tied to the then-burgeoning civil rights movement, the Twist was seen as a symbol of integration. Many movies about the Twist featured integrated dance floors. In one Twist movie, twist icon Chubbie Checker and his white sidekick/manager/best friend in the movie were roommates -- a strikingly unusual interracial screen relationship at the time.

I think, in a way, the massive, sustained popularity of the Twist both iconicized and crystalized it historically -- but also has helped hold the phenomenon in historic isolation between the eras of the 50s and 60s...

• Members

I remember, in the 1970's, when the greatest hits of the rock era were totted up, "The Twist" was #1 then.

I would've thought by now something would've superseded it... I dunno... "I Like Big Butts" or something of that ilk...

Greta Garbo and Joan Crawford were seen dancing The Twist at the Peppermint Lounge in the early 60's...

Archived