OK guys, tell me something about these new Charvels!

kentuckyklira

• Members

I played one exactly like that one, but black. AWSOME guitar, properly set up. I also played I've owned higher end Kramers, Jacksons and one ESP. This one played as good as any I've played. I'm not into thin wide necks or Floyds, but if I wanted such a beast, the $899 they cost locally, I'd be all over it. I always thought if I owned an American Charvel, it would be strat-shaped with a black pickguard and a rosewood fretboard, but that tele style was hot.

And definitely try it through a Valvestate. They aren't hideous. I'd use one with a 12" speaker though.

And I'd definitely change the avatar. :cop:

• Members

I played one exactly like that one, but black. AWSOME guitar, properly set up. I also played I've owned higher end Kramers, Jacksons and one ESP. This one played as good as any I've played. I'm not into thin wide necks or Floyds, but if I wanted such a beast, the $899 they cost locally, I'd be all over it. I always thought if I owned an American Charvel, it would be strat-shaped with a black pickguard and a rosewood fretboard, but that tele style was hot.

I have high end Kramers and I have a couple of Japan Jacksons (I used to have a 1985 USA Jackson)...I don't have any ESP branded guitars but I've tried them. I found the new Charvels to be very underwhelming and not up to any of the aforementioned and not even up to the LTD guitars that I own. In fact, I thought that it was MAYBE on par with a G&L Tribute Invader that I have. Some notable differences between the two like different body wood, bridge and fingerboard material and of course the compound radius neck but still very much the same. Given the choice I'd keep the Invader.

I tried 6 of them that were brought in by a fairly large music retailer.

Nice looking but to me that was about it. Every Kramer I have ever owned absolutely ate the Charvels for breakfast. The 1984, 1985, 1986, the three 1987 models and the 1984 Focus 3000 and 1988 Focus 1000...all superior aside from the pickups in the Focus guitars.

Try for yourself I say.

• Members

I have high end Kramers and I have a couple of Japan Jacksons (I used to have a 1985 USA Jackson)...I don't have any ESP branded guitars but I've tried them. I found the new Charvels to be very underwhelming and not up to any of the aforementioned and not even up to the LTD guitars that I own. In fact, I thought that it was MAYBE on par with a G&L Tribute Invader that I have. Some notable differences between the two like different body wood, bridge and fingerboard material and of course the compound radius neck but still very much the same. Given the choice I'd keep the Invader.

I tried 6 of them that were brought in by a fairly large music retailer.

Nice looking but to me that was about it. Every Kramer I have ever owned absolutely ate the Charvels for breakfast. The 1984, 1985, 1986, the three 1987 models and the 1984 Focus 3000 and 1988 Focus 1000...all superior aside from the pickups in the Focus guitars.

Try for yourself I say.

I hear ya. This was a fairly small shop that does setups on all their $400+ guitars so they played flawlessly. I had an 85 Baretta, a late 80s archtop Soloist and a Kramer Stagemaster and I'd say the current Charvels I played were about on par with a Baretta. A step down from my Solist or Stagemaster but then, those guitars were $1300-$1500 new in the late 80s vs $900 new right now so not really apples and apples.

The trem would give me slight pause, but when Ibanez started coming out with their Floyd-ish trems, everyone thought they were crap and would be completely useless in a couple years and PLENTY of them are still going strong.

Archived