Stop Making CD'S - Lets Use MP3'S Instead.

audioicon

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have no problem with it. I think some folks were taking him seriously and responding as such.

I mean, I can argue all day about why a Hyundai is better than a Mercedes. It's fun, but someone might think I actually believe what I'm writing. The written word is odd that way.

• Members

Cool. Thinks it's got 20 second anti-skip buffering?

m.jpg

Click it if you wanna see the bigger one. I didn't wanna blow the page width.
:wave:

The teenager next door had a variation on one of these. They were strictly for parking. He also had a chrome Kleenex dispenser that he was inordinately proud of. It wasn't for several decades that, reading back on the benighted pre-sexual-revolution days of the fifties, I realized why the disposable tissues were such a big deal to him.

• Members

Well, I was serious abt the info science stuff - but that doesn't mean we can't play in both areas - serious doesn't have to be grim

sides, I think stranger does better with a straightman or two to play off

Perhaps we shouldn't be getting this into the mechanics of all this. ;)

But, you are so true. It's just like music, if you don't have someone/thing to play off of, you're just wanking.

• Members

No sweat, I have one that hasn't even been powered up yet. It's a Fostex XR-7 and it's still brand spanking new! The ol' Yamaha still has plenty of life in it.

And I've got a Yamaha dual deck with about 30 minutes use on it, in addition to the numerous decks that have a good amount of hours on them. I also have a few cases of cassettes to keep me going. I saw the writing on the wall and prepared for the worst.

Punks not dead, he's just stockpiling cassettes.

• Members

you're just wanking.

Woah fun is fun, but that's the line - I find that totally offensive

"just" (as in merely) shouldn't be applied to wanking.

Wanking is an honored tradition that spans the entirety of human history and crosses cultural boundaries

Sure, we all know wanking has pushed internet technology, but think about what else it has done

The shower for instance, the shower has much of its development owed to wanking...in fact, many males are much much cleaner due to 45 minute showers

• Members

Holy cow! Look at this! It's an mp3 player/cassette adapter! http://www.dansdata.com/dah220.htm

dah280.jpg

See the usb?

base280.jpg

edge280.jpg

You should read the review for this thing! (link above) Mp3 player/Voice Recorder/usb device/cassette adapter and you can put it in a tape deck and record to it!

For everything but voice recording, both players deliver the same results; they encode plain 128 kilobit per second 44kHz constant bit rate MP3 files. This doesn't sound terrible, but it doesn't sound great, either. There are noticeable "underwater" artefacts, for instance. Still, for playback in the average tape-deck-equipped car, it'll probably do.

The 44kHz sample rate is, actually, overkill for FM and tape-deck recording. Neither source can deliver significant treble above 15kHz, so a 32kHz sample rate, with the same bit rate, might give a noticeably better sounding result. But you can't change the record settings on these players.

Oh yeah, it's got an FM tuner. Far too much to mention, read the 25000 word review now for maximum pleasure!

• Members

I'm horrified at all those ignorant comments in this thread.

Do people here not have decent equipment at all?

Digitalized music origins from analog signals.

When at a concert, the sound leaving the stage is analog.

In the studio the sound you hears is analog.

Analog is the reference pr. definition.

Comparing digital formats, you will end up with the higher resolution beating the lower resolution if the converters and other circuits are similar.

Lossless digital encoded music files are better sounding than compressed digital music files.

I think most people will agree on this.

I had 100's of Reel-Reel machines and cassette decks.

I tested the highest resolution possible within the digital encoded domain.

I had several 24 bit / 96 kHz HD machines.

I have files to play from DXD 24BIT/352.8kHz.

I hade 32 bit / 192 kHz machines.

I had CD's of high quality like Mark Levinson and Audio Analogue.

I had CD machines without upsampling and I had them with upsampling.

I have 6000 MP3 files.

I have Mini Disc.

I have DAT.

I heard DCC.

I have experienced the best a digital conversion could do to the best stage set-up you can get at any live event.

I made many master recordings myself from the late 70's and up.

In return of these expensive experiences I have heard the best ever digital sound possible on some of the best gear matched in the best ever manner.

The conclusion is that Reel-Reel and Cassette recordings are better sounding, more natural and freindly to the ear.

Of all the parameters in existence, ignorant take up the S/N ratio and the dynamics.

They forget everything else.

They forget all those paramters not meassurable like soundstage, perspective, naturality, texture, readiness for transients etc. etc.

In our live, our inviroment, at concert gigs, in studios there will always be some background noise IRL.

There is no reason to try to get as black a background on the reproduction as to outperform reality.

Down where the ground floor for noise is hides a lot of microdynamics that is audible when you accept that life consists of a level of ground noise.

These microdynamics are left out on digital encodings in most cases.

Compared to the methafor of a steak.

To encode music digitaly is like to mince the meat.

You will never get a T-bone steak out of it again.

People here even talk about compressed digital encodings.

This is so frivolous to compare compressed digital encoded music with any analog source.

Get a grip.

See if some of you, claiming MP3 is good sounding, can get a chance to listen to well matched high-end or pro gear matched thoroughly to make synergy in the end-up sound character.

You need to be cured from modern time non-quality life-approach.

"dolph"

Archived