I need some dimensions for a Firebird VII

Guit-Builder

• Members

Hi

I'm gonna build a copy of a gibson firebird VII . I've got a copy of the outline but I need a few dimensions. I hope someone who owns one can help me out with the following;

Thickness of the "body wings" (I hope you understand what I mean !)

Thickness of the central body section

The width of the central body section

Also I know theres a step down between the central section and the wings on the front of the guitar - Is there also a step on the back ?

Thanks in advance

• Members

Thanks for that Psychotronic

Your probably right about the tailpiece too - not 100% decided on hardware yet anyhow

I might well go with a wrapround bridge , I've put one of the Gotoh agjustable wrapround on another guitar and I really like it- although th vibrola does look kool.

Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on the dimensions

• Members

I have some measurements for you! I have to say that I found a couple of surprises when taking them as I never had looked that close at the body.

First of all, Psychotronics was mistaken. There is definitely a "step" on the back of the guitar. As a matter of fact it is bigger than the "step" on the front (Surprise number one!)

To start, the middle section is 4 1/16 " wide and 1 1/2" thick. The "step" off the face of the middle section to the "wings" is 5/64" while the "step" off the back is 7/64". Now for surprise number two: The "wings" have a thickness of 1 5/16" next to the center section but they both taper down to 1 3/32" at their sides. The taper goes from center section out towards the side edges of the guitar only.

Those two little surprises led to my big surprise, the Firebird body is a lot more complex in shape than I had ever realized.

Hope this helps,

-Ron

• Members

I have some measurements for you! I have to say that I found a couple of surprises when taking them as I never had looked that close at the body.

First of all, Psychotronics was mistaken. There is definitely a "step" on the back of the guitar. As a matter of fact it is bigger than the "step" on the front (Surprise number one!)

To start, the middle section is 4 1/16 " wide and 1 1/2" thick. The "step" off the face of the middle section to the "wings" is 5/64" while the "step" off the back is 7/64". Now for surprise number two: The "wings" have a thickness of 1 5/16" next to the center section but they both taper down to 1 3/32" at their sides. The taper goes from center section out towards the side edges of the guitar only.

Those two little surprises led to my big surprise, the Firebird body is a lot more complex in shape than I had ever realized.

Hope this helps,

-Ron

Whoops. I stand corrected.:D

• Members

No problem Psychotronic. I was that "initmate" on the details either until I went to measure it.

Now where did this guy go? He got his answer but is nowhere to be found. See if I waste time trying to help someone again. ;)

-Ron

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Hey Ron!

Any chance of getting some more measurements? Maybe from the 22nd fret wire to the tail strap pin or from the base of the neck (after 22) to the same point on the body where that strap pin is? Maybe also the waist measurement, taken directly across and parallel to the bridge?

I am also looking at building a body and have some diagrams but they are not to scale. I would be very grateful if you or someone else could help me with these measurements so I can get the scale at least close to correct.

Cheers

Marc

I have some measurements for you! ...

-Ron

Archived