Unpotted pickups - Am I drinking the Kool-Aid

Faber

• Members

The last two guitars I've bought (an Ibanez AS100 and a Hamer Newport) both have unpotted pickups. This it my first extended use of unpotted humbuckers in the 20 years i've been playing. Tell me if I'm imagining stuff cause it seems to me that these pickups have a more detailed clean sound and seem more dynamically responsive than other, potted, paf style HBs I've used in the past. I hate being the cork sniffer, but I really do feel there's a difference.

• Members

It all depends on how the maker pots the pickup.

The method I use for potting my pickups does not effect the tone.

Major manufacturers use vacuums for potting and that can really stifle the tone.

How do you do it?

I've potted a few just by melting wax on the stove with a double boiler and submerging the pup. When the air bubbles are gone, I pull it out.

I haven't destroyed one yet.

• Members

Well I hear the same thing from the Gibson Burstbuckers (1s, 2s, & 3s) that I have in 4 of my guitars. I also usually describe the tone as being a bit more "3-d".

But I'm not sure how much of that comes from the no wax versus the uneven winds between the two coils. I'm guessing most of it is from the uneven winds. But it's got to be a bit of a mix of both. You often see discussions about evaluating tonal changes, perceived or not, from the after results of potting p'ups after market. The consensus is usually that there is more clarity and vibe without the potting, but the most recent "read" I saw stated it was not readily perceptible.

Archived