n.g.d godin detour

marvo

• Members

Really nice guitar for the money plays really well ,very good sustain.Eventually I,m gonna change the pickups,was thinking of sd jazz for the neck,and either a custom custom or j/b for the bridge.

Body is made up of a maple centre with poplar wings,maple neck ,rosewood finger board.

• Members

Thanks guys I,m really digging this guitar,what do ya think of my choice for the future pickup changes,if I do change them, the stocks ones are not too bad,but I,m sure the sd,s will really add some serious sound to this guitar if that makes any sense.

• Members

Bought an exit 22 a few yrs ago,was very impressed with it,the necks on all godins are really nice,consistent great quality even on the cheapest models and they all come with very nice thick padded gig bag,was only $400.00 for the detour.

• Members

I messed with one in the guitar store a few times, but it had the maple top in dark cherry sunburst. I only played it acoustically, but it played wonderfully and had a lively feel and resonance that was really appealing. Unfortunately I didn't and don't have the ability to justify such an expenditure.

• Members

Happy NGD. I was this close to winning a Detour on ebay. I bid $200 and it ended up going for like $212. I would have bid it up to $300, but I wasn't home when it ended.

I've played several of them. LOVE how they feel, not crazy about the stock pickups. I'd probably go Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck, splittable and a Fred in the bridge.

If you can, be sure to check out an Ibanez JS1200 before you make a decision. Not quite the same guitar, but I LOVE the sound of that thing!

• Members

Those p/u,s sound like they may be a good choice,the dimarzios in my music man super sport sound great.

Any other p/u ideas that would sound good in this guitar,greatly appreciate any input,just want to make make sure I make the right choice the 1st time as it is a fairly bright guitar.

• Members

Those p/u,s sound like they may be a good choice,the dimarzios in my music man super sport sound great.

Any other p/u ideas that would sound good in this guitar,greatly appreciate any input,just want to make make sure I make the right choice the 1st time as it is a fairly bright guitar.

Well, the JB/Jazz combo is classic for higher output pickups, but the JB is definitely on the bright side. Just depends on what you needs are. A lot of folks feel the JB is too bright, but they may be playing on a 1x12 combo in the bedrood. The pickup was made to cut through while keeping some body. I'm not a hater of the JB/Jazz at all and the two nicest guitars I've ever owned both had a JB in the bridge. But for reasonable at home playing levels, it's not terribly complex. I have a friend with a Parker with the JB/Jazz and the Jazz makes me feel all warm and mushy inside at lower levels, but the Jazz is fine, but I swear, an Ibanez AH2 that comes in a $300 Korean guitar sounds better through the same amp.

As I said, I don't care for the guitar much, but currently I think the Ibanez JS1200 is one of the best sounding dual HB guitars out there. The bridge sounds full, but not muddy at all. At least not at the gain levels I play at. The neck HB sounds super great. Kinda Slashy which I LOVE! Both pickups split sounds outstanding clean, and the neck pickup split is probably 80% as good as a strat with a true single coil in the neck. I think if the neck pickup split so that only the coil closest to the fretboard worked, it would be the perfect dual HB guitar.

Do you know which Dimarzios are in your EBMM? Would you prefer that this guitar sounds fuller or warmer or more trebly or what compared to your EBMM?

• Members

Congrats!!

I have a Godin LG Siganture with a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge. Great guitars and a great pickup choice. The Custom Custom is a lot warmer than a JB (too bright in any guitar with maple as far as I am concerned!). I like the CC, it is hot enough, yet not bitey and brittle sounding in the highs. IOW, not shrill when you play in the upper register like the JB can get.

Congrats again!

BP

Archived