Best Back Up Band....???

fabstrat

• Members

The Atlanta Rhythm Section was Roy Orbison's touring band. When he decided to quit, they went on together, and had quite a few hits on their own. I can't think of any other 'backing band' that later went on without the leader and had nearly as much success.

• Members

Miles Davis' band playing with Wes Montgomery on 'Full House' ...also any of the Art Blakey Messengers were great especailly the one with Wayne Shorter and Bobby Timmons (Moanin' I think)

When I saw Norah Jones she had a kickass band and also Chan Marshall (Cat Power) was backed by a great band (I forget thier name)

• Members

Along with most mentioned already (particularly the MG's, Funk Brothers, and JB's), I've always loved Crazy Horse. They existed before Neil picked them up, and had some records of their own (the first album is great, and also has one of the best album covers of all time. has to be on LP to get the full effect.:D), so I don't know if they get counted as a "backup band" in the sense of some of the others.

Delaney and Bonnie and Friends always had a hell of a band, but maybe they could almost be considered the band, though D&B were the only constants, far as I know. Jim Gordon, Carl Radle, Bobby Whitlock, later Kenny Gradney, Sam Clayton (who went on to join Little Feat)...Leon Russell played with them some early on, before his more prolific association with them later, I think. Those guys also, I believe, made up the core of the Mad Dogs and Englishmen band.

Archived