Alternatives to Sweetwater

Duddits

• Members

I've used most of the ones mentioned and haven't had any problems. I mostly use Musicians' Friend because they usually have the best prices and ship promptly. If I needed advice I would probably use Sweetwater.

I have also used B&H without problem and use Comprehensive for the best selection of cables at a good price.

• CMS Author

When buying "commodity" items that I may never have seen in the flesh, I want to deal with a place that has a friendly, no-hassle return for full refund policy. I probably return half the stuff like that that I buy just because it's never quite as good as it sounds, and when I see what it really is, I don't have any use for it.

The USB WiFi adapter that says it's good for 384 feet indoors is going back because it won't get a signal the 75 feet between my wireless router and the studio computer. That long piece of Ethernet cable running through the house is just going to have to stay there a while longer.

• Members

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions.

I'm also happy to report that when I called Full Compass, the guy on the phone passed the "MIDI test," pronouncing as a real live word and not a bunch of initials.

Lots of great advice in this thread.... thanks!

• Members

i'm just curious, did you have a bad experience with sweetwater?

I just have a creepy feeling when some guy calls me up 2 years after I placed an order to see if they can help with me with my gear needs....which means buy something from us now.

I felt like a Scientologist was asking if I wanted to take a personality test. :eek:

• Members

feeling when some guy calls me up 2 years after I placed an order to see if they can
help with me with my gear needs
....which means
buy something from us now

I felt like a Scientologist was asking if I wanted to take a personality test.
:eek:

Two years later is a little weird.

When I first started purchasing from them eight years ago, they would call occasionally, asking that same question or making sure everything was okay. And I thought it was a little weird, and thought of even calling them and saying that I didn't need that aspect of their customer service. But it stopped, and they haven't done that since.

And they do have very good customer service, so I'm a happy customer.

• Members

I found Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, ZZsounds and Sweetwater to have strong points. Typically, who stocks what and who ships free carries the most weight. I like Musicians Friend's Deal of the Day. I can drive to Guitar Center. I view the calls and email from Sweetwater as just good sales and service.

I like ordering from a smaller company in state, sometimes.:cool:

• Members

Intresting thread ,

I got a courtesy call from "my sales consultant" from sweetwater; Did'nt really bother me much as he was'nt paticularly pushy or anything ; he also checked to see If I still wanted to recieve their cataloug , which I can understand since the full version is a rather nice , thick , full color affair.

I usually resarch the dickens out an Item on the net befotr a purchase , so I don't use the "consultation : angle from SW that much . Some times they do offer good advice , but I usually am worried about the possible profit motives in the reccomendation they give.

MF : I bought from them for years , and then they had a serious F-up ( Twice in a row , in fact , I think they sent a returned Item right back at me !) . I was pretty pissed.... If you have to call , just ask for a supervisor first thing , that was the only way to get things done and remedied!!

MF almost always has the best prices If you do your due diligenece and time it out right . I still buy from them , but not as often and with a bit of trepidation.

Audio midi has been perfect and I also have had great transactions with front end audio.

Archived