How to build a Billy Corgan replica...

zer0psi

• Members

The way I see it, the Billy Corgan Strat is not a signature model in the sense that it replicates his guitar...at all. Rather, it's him designing the ideal version, with his changes. He originally played 70's Strats, then moved to '57 RI's. Around Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie, his 'Bat Strat' became very popular with him:

billycorganbatstrat.jpg

It's an early 90's USA '57 RI, Hipshot D-Tuner, and Lace Sensors (Blue/Silver/Red, as visible). Compared to:

54834_l.jpg

The finish is still nitro lacquer, though satin this time, and the bridge changes to hardtail. Pickups go from Lace Sensors to DiMarzios (BC-1/Chopper/BC-2), and the neck changes a lot. It goes from a 7.25" radius, gloss finished, 21 fret V-profile to a 9.5", satin, 22 fret modern C with a '70s headstock to boot. So, how do I build my own? One of three ways:

• Members

First way is to copy newest one as close as possible. I won't be able to get Satin White, though Satin Black is attainable. I'm going to look @ the neck for this one...and the closest is the US Highway One. 22 frets, modern C, 9.5", satin, 70's headstock, all in common. Also comes with a satin nitro finish body...either Satin Black (like Billy's) or sunburst.

Add the DiMarzio prewired Billy Corgan pickguard, deck the trem, and voila! Option A:

308743_10150380533342744_653277743_10404

• Members

Next option is to go old school and replicate the 57RI. In this case, I think my best option for the money would be a 50's Road Worn Strat. Sunburst finish, v neck with the right radius and 21 frets, and affordable compared to the US one.

Once again, I'd just add the pickguard and deck the trem for this:

296489_10150380537382744_653277743_10404

• Members

OR, finally, I build a bastard of the two. For this one I'd start with Road Worn Player in Olympic White, as a tribute to the new. I like that it already has a black pickguard, as at one point the 'Bat Strat' had a black Sharpie'd pickguard and was painted silver. Plus, it further replicates the new one's look. The neck has the same profile and finish as the new, with 21 frets, and the small headstock of the old. It would look just like this, but with Billy's pickups:

fender-road-worn-player-stratocaster-oly

How to do it...?

• Members

True. I wonder why he chose to switch to DiMarzios though.

People's tastes change over time. Having had a combination of Red in the bridge and a Blue in the neck (but in a Telecaster), you can so easily get all the Smashing Pumpkins tones you can imagine. I was playing "Today" and it sounded like the record.

• Members

I did one and it's pretty epic.

I prefer the Hardtail 70s strat to the bat strat.

billy599.jpg

Billy recently put his sig pickups in it.

257631_10150291026002642_7301722641_9552

Here's mine. '74 neck/'76 body. Wish the paint woulda turned out a little darker but oh well. It sounds amazing through my Diezel.

String Saver graphite saddles are a great addition.

The signature Corgan pickguard has 250k pots. Kinda odd for humbuckers but they sound really good.

7476strat.jpg

• Members

You can't really judge Laces by themselves in a room by yourself. You have to try them out in a full band setting, or in a recording. They are simply wonderful and sit in the mix extremely well. That "bland" quality translates to studio-quality tone right there on stage or in rehearsal. After much mucking around with tone, yesterday I took my Blue/Silver/Gold Strat into rehearsal yesterday. Everyone couldn't stop raving about the improvement in our sound. The Silver in the middle by itself can be used for 80% of lead guitar needs. Switch to bridge when you're doing solos.

• Members

You can't really judge Laces by themselves in a room by yourself. You have to try them out in a full band setting, or in a recording. They are simply wonderful and sit in the mix extremely well. That "bland" quality translates to studio-quality tone right there on stage or in rehearsal. After much mucking around with tone, yesterday I took my Blue/Silver/Gold Strat into rehearsal yesterday. Everyone couldn't stop raving about the improvement in our sound. The Silver in the middle by itself can be used for 80% of lead guitar needs. Switch to bridge when you're doing solos.

I gave it plenty of trials and decided the Dimarzios were just better for this guitar. It shocked me when Billy did the same with his old blue one after i did mine.

• Members

Here's mine. '74 neck/'76 body. Wish the paint woulda turned out a little darker but oh well. It sounds amazing through my Diezel.

String Saver graphite saddles are a great addition.

The signature Corgan pickguard has 250k pots. Kinda odd for humbuckers but they sound really good.

7476strat.jpg

Wow. What shade of blue is that?

• Members

To the OP-

I really dig those new MIM Roadworn Player Series strats, they are literally the best strats Ive ever played and I own a Billy Corgan sig!

Seeing as how you dont seem too fussed about the hardtail, I highly recommend goin with the new Roadworns :thu:

• Members

Nah, the only afforadble hardtail I really like is the Wayne Kramer, which is rosewood and a different story altogether.

So make this:

61372_l.jpg

or for $50 more and one v-neck less (worth it?), this:

82153_l.jpg

Into this?:

billycorganbatstrat.jpg

Or this:

0131062305_frt_wlg_001.jpg

Into this? (minus headstock of course):

54834_l.jpg

Was just thinking that yesterday @ Sam Ash. Though now the Charvel So Cal's got me caught up:

CHAR282-6001-3052.jpg

It's only a pickguard away and a great neck and quality Floyd.

• Members

What was the neck like? Because I
love
the 50's neck and it's like what Billy had.

Im not a fender guy so I cant really tell what it was exactly, but the worn finish on it just made it feel GREAT :love:

Was also nicely rounded and not too thin. Ive played the Dave Murray strat which has the V neck and hated it:

0118802806_frt_wlg_001.jpg

In fact, that Dave Murray was the most disappointing guitar Ive ever played...

I was blown away by the Roadworn player tho...

Archived