Carvin X-30?

rog951

• Members

So I picked up a couple tube amps from a guy who needed cash a while back and I'm just now getting around to messing with them. One was a Trace Elliot Velocette which was very clean and worked great right away.

The other is this Carvin X-30 1x12" combo. It was dirty as hell and it had some scratchy pots and busted knobs, but it worked. It sounded kinda bad, though. Somebody had put a Peavey Scorpion speaker in there and I found that there was something, probably a solder ball, rattling around in there causing some crazy buzziness. I replaced the Scorpon with an Eminence GB12 this weekend and the amp sounds GREAT! Not super-high gain or anything, but just really good cleans and a decent Marshally crunch. I'm very happy considering I only gave about $300 for both amps!

Anybody know anything about either of these amps?

• Members

I wasn't even aware Carvin had an X-30 model before. I've had an X100 combo and 3 X100B heads over time and loved all but the el34 model I currently have (still has a decent clean channel, at least :) ). Sounds like a good deal, and I hope the amps kick plenty of @ss for ya'~! :cool:

added edit: Oh, and yeah: run a decent OD pedal such as a tubescreamer in front of the dirt channel~! :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by rushtallica

I wasn't even aware Carvin had an X-30 model before. I've had an X100 combo and 3 X100B heads over time and loved all but the el34 model I currently have (still has a decent clean channel, at least
:)
). Sounds like a good deal, and I hope the amps kick plenty of @ss for ya'~!
:cool:

added edit: Oh, and yeah: run a decent OD pedal such as a tubescreamer in front of the dirt channel~!
:cool:

Thanks man. I vaguely remember the magazine ads with Craig Chaquico (sp?) with his X-100 stack and that pointy X-220 guitar...and a little inset of the X-30 and I think the X-60. This was the era of the "curvey underline" logo, which my X-30 has.

I have an X-100B too. Great amp! It was my first tube amp actually, back in the mid '80s. Mine is tolex-covered (pre carpet) with the early version of the squared-off logo. It came with 6L6s but the chassis has a sticker that says "EL34" behind each power tube. Weird! I guess mine was a transistion model? Never checked the bias though...it always sounded great with 6L6s.

• Members
Originally posted by rog951

Here's a pic I found over at the Carvin Museum. Anybody got a schematic? Also, I want to replace the knobs. Do ya think the regular Fender skirted amp knobs would work? That's what they look like to me...

84_tubeampguitarcombos1-small.jpg

Oh-oh,I do remember that model. Should be a cool little amp.

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

bump for an awesome amp.

i've had the x-60 before, and miss it every day now
:(

Yeah man, I was just downstairs chuggin' away on this amp and it really sounds nice! I still need to De-Oxit the pots as a couple of 'em have some bad spots. It's a fairly loud 30W too. My wife was flipping the basement lights on and off! :)

Tomorrow night I will goose it with a tubescreamer and see what it's made of...

• 1 month later...

Archived