Meet My Newest Amp: A Bogner Ecstasy Clone

skaaks

• Members

So I finally got some time this weekend to finish my Bogner Ecstasy clone that I've been working on. It's been an ongoing project for the past few months or so, and I'm extremely happy to have finally finished it. It took forever to pull together enough information to finally have enough info to start the build, but I'm glad I took the extra time to do my research. I think it turned out great!

I had the chassis custom made for me and designed and made the turret board, and switching circuit PCBs myself. The power supply PCB was a standard power board I bought from a fellow builder over at the SLO Clone forum. I had to customize a few things to add the options I wanted(PIC microcontroller switching, MIDI capability, etc) but they all turned out really well. For such a complicated build (and my third), I was plesantly surprised to have very few problems. All that's left is to get a head shell made for it.

Overall, I love the amp. It has so many awesome features and ways to shape the sound, it's definitely a tweakers amp. I espeicially love the options on the power amp (class AB/A, Triode/Pentode, Full/Half power). I'll be playing w/ the sound a bit more, espeically the red and blue channels, but so far it sounds incredble. It's tight and crunchy with a nice compression to it. I only wish I had access to a real Ecstasy to compare it to :) In any case, here are some pics and a sound clip from the build:

Finished product:

th_XTCClone065.jpg

th_XTCClone067.jpg

More build pics:

http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/havebra/Bogner%20XTC/

Sound clip:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7685905

• Members

Congrats! Sounds and looks awesome!

I owned a 101B and I feel you got damn close to the tone. You've certainly nailed the woodiness of it!

So any chance you would make another one? Any idea on what you would charge for a simple XTC circuit with basic channel switching, no class a/ab mode, and maybe in a 50 watt power level?

• Members

Wow dude that's one helluva achievement. Very nice... that takes a lot of skill to build such a complicated amp with the options you listed... including MIDI functionality! Awesome. Now make it look as pretty as it sounds; get a purdy headshell, get the chassis painted and labeled and all that good stuff! :)

• Members

Yeah, it was quite a task to keep everything neat any tidy, especially the switching circuit. If I had to do it again, I'd make a few minor changes to the layout, but overall I think it was pretty clean. I still have a bit of a problem w/ oscillation on the red channel when you switch it into Plexi mode, but I should be able to track that one down pretty easily.

I don't think I'll be selling XTC clones any time soon, since it's an amp that's still in production. I built this one for me :) For now I'll probably stick to building SLO clones and working on my own designs. Or maybe I'll take a stab at another high gainer. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should build next?

• Members

To this point it's cost about $1100. Once I get everything cleaned up and put in a head shell I'd guess it'll be around $1500.

That's not terrible for a $3k amp.

I wish I had the kind of patience to legitimately work on something of that scale.

Good stuff, man.

• Members

Man...that looks like that build was BROOTAL.

Killer job...there's a reason some stuff is hideously expensive, and I think you just showed everyone why.

I completely agree. Even though the parts and everything wasn't that expensive, if I factored in all the hours that it took to put it together (probably around 60) it'd cost way more than that.

Archived