Rack Weight

Si.

• Members

Hi all..

recently finished my first rack setup but one thing I didn't think about was the weight of a rack. I was using Gator G-tour 6u rack, with:

Power Conditioner

JMP-1 Pre-amp

G-Major

Mesa 50/50

I was totally shocked by the weight of the thing.. I keep my gear upstairs in a spare bedroom and i had great difficulty getting it down the stairs.. so much so I've had to split it into a 4u and 2u rack to make it manageable..but it'a a pain having 2 cases instead of 1.

How do others deal with the weight of small (6u) racks..

Si

• Members

When my gear is at home (rarely nowadays) it's in the basement. My rule is that I don't own any gear that I'm unable to move by myself. Consequently, I use 2x12 cabs instead of 4x12s, and two 6U racks instead of one 12U rack. There's a difference between heavy and immovable. A 6U rack can be heavy, but not impossible for one guy to carry.

• Members

Get strong (and stupid) friends. Unless im really motivated i leave my rack and cab at home and take a combo. For practice...

Live, i get somebody to give me a hand moving the 8 space down the stairs along with the 50kilo cab. I can move the rack myself its just stupidly dangerous to do.

• Members

I can carry my 12U rack upstairs, but it ain't a lot of fun (it's probably around 80kg). A 4x12 cab's a fairly easy lift by comparison, and I sold all 3 of those because I was fed up with moving them. Removing the rear panel (which has 5 pedals mounted to it - used as a sub pedalboard) helps a lot. I'm seriously considering buying a stair-climber trolley (or a bungalow).

Once it's on one level, I've got a home-made dolly cart with flightcase castors that it lives on for transport. I've also got a Rock'n'Roller R2 microcart that my 2x12 cabs and my main pedalboard travel on. The head cases have wheels (they're actually Protection Racket drum hardware bags). Nothing gets carried any further than it has to.

• Members

The best thing I've found, at least for shallow rackmount units, is the 3U cases with molded handles. You can carry one in each hand, which makes it much easier to navigate stairs and doorways. That's what I use at my band's rehearsal space, with a power amp in one case and preamp/gate/power conditioner in the other.

I have a fairly nice RoadReady (or RoadRunner?) 4U rack case with a power amp and conditioner in it, and the weight is just ridiculous. It's a sturdy case, but very heavy on its own.

• Members

The best thing I've found, at least for shallow rackmount units, is the 3U cases with molded handles. You can carry one in each hand, which makes it much easier to navigate stairs and doorways. That's what I use at my band's rehearsal space, with a power amp in one case and preamp/gate/power conditioner in the other.

I have a fairly nice RoadReady (or RoadRunner?) 4U rack case with a power amp and conditioner in it, and the weight is just ridiculous. It's a sturdy case, but very heavy on its own.

Yeah my 8 unit road ready is a heavy bastard empty. funnily enough i had a 6unit which was heavier then the 8 unit some how...

• Members

I had the same problem with my rack...I have a 12 space boogie shockmount with a VHT 2/90/2, two Egnater M4s, misc fx units/wireless/tuner/etc. I simply couldn't lift the bastard by myself or get it up my stairs...SUCKED to have to wait for someone to come over to help me get it into the truck for gigs.

I got the AxeFX and mounted two Crate PowerBlocks onto a rack shelf - put it all in a 6 space rack with my wireless and now my rig sounds just as good, but weighs about 25 pounds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My solution also! Axe-Fx Rules! I sold 8 amps and 6 cabs, and a rack with Mesa TA/2:90/Eventide. I have a lot of really nice guitars now too. Axe in 2 space rack-bag 16lbs JBL PRX512 42lbs kicks butt! I am getting old and I can carry rig and guitar no problem.

• Members

My rack weighs in at 170lbs and is far too large for me to handle by myself. That is why I am in a band and have bandmates :thu: I've never had to go up or down a lot of stairs with it though and it is on wheels so I roll it everywhere, even through mud lol. I have no plans on reducing the size and will probably start building another matching sized rack for it soon. It's heavy but man is it worth it :cool:

• Members

I'm about to get a 4 space shockmount for my power amp and then pre, fx etc as I build up my rack. The plan is that when I run out of room I get a 2 or 3 space for my power amp only. The idea being to keep the heavy stuff separate.

• Members

I used the SKB 8-space Roto-rack (wheeled) and it was very helpful to move around a 90lb. rack.

Now I am with the AxeFx, Furman, and a ART SLA-2 in a short 4-space Gator - all for less than 40lbs and very compact.

Archived