Need speaker suggestions

• Members

So we plugged in our new Samson 900 watt PA and blew the woofers in our drummer's old speaker cabinets within two practices. The 15" woofers in each enclosure are now adding tinny, buzzing sounds to everything we put through them even though there are no visible tears or ruptures.

Question: where can I find some good, cheap replacement speakers and how much wattage do they need to be able to handle? 450 watts each?

Thanks!

• Members

So we plugged in our new Samson 900 watt PA and blew the woofers in our drummer's old speaker cabinets within two practices. The 15" woofers in each enclosure are now adding tinny, buzzing sounds to everything we put through them even though there are no visible tears or ruptures.

Question: where can I find some good, cheap replacement speakers and how much wattage do they need to be able to handle? 450 watts each?

Thanks!

You looking for new woofers for those cabs or whole new cabs?

• Members

Just the woofers...I guess unless the pricing on complete new units is in the same ballpark as a pair of decent speakers. Each enclosure has a pair of horns and a pair of tweaters that still work fine, so we figured they were salvageable.

• Members
Just the woofers...I guess unless the pricing on complete new units is in the same ballpark as a pair of decent speakers. Each enclosure has a pair of horns and a pair of tweaters that still work fine, so we figured they were salvageable.

What cabs are they? What's the impedance of the woofers? How much power does the Samson put out/channel at the speaker's impedance? And you know that a replacement woofer is probably not going to be tuned for the enclosure.

• Members

Well, unfortunately I can't help much here. The cabs are not marked in any way, nor did the old woofers have any specs on them. We're figuring 8 ohms? I wasn't aware of the speaker tuning issues. Here are details on the Samson we're using if that's any help:

Samson XM910 8 Channel Powered Mixer

• Members
Well, unfortunately I can't help much here. The cabs are not marked in any way, nor did the old woofers have any specs on them. We're figuring 8 ohms? I wasn't aware of the speaker tuning issues. Here are details on the Samson we're using if that's any help:

Looks like the real world power may be considerably less than 450 watts/channel. Kinda hard to tell from just those specs. Anyway, you need to know the impedance of the stock woofer for crossover issues, if for no other reason. You don't want to change impedances because the crossover is built specifically for the impedance of the drivers that are connected to it originally.

• Members

Well if you are still considering just replacing the woofers in the speakers, you could always pick up a pair of Audiopile's APX-1526 15" 400 watt speakers. These seem to be very good quality speakers well priced that are respected by many of the pros on this forum. Idk if your box would meet the specific parameters of that woofer, but he claims that it is a good speaker that is compatible with many and most enclosures. A pair of the APX-1526s costs $200 plus shipping from his site. That is a very very fair price for the quality speakers he is offering. Also, he offers recone kits on his site for only $27.50/pc for that woofer. Great deal there too as other companies' recone kits can be very expensive and hard to find.

Here's the link to the APX-1526:

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Speakers/X-1526/X-1526_cutsheet.asp

:thu:

• Members

Well if you are still considering just replacing the woofers in the speakers, you could always pick up a pair of Audiopile's APX-1526 15" 400 watt speakers. These seem to be very good quality speakers well priced that are respected by many of the pros on this forum. Idk if your box would meet the specific parameters of that woofer, but he claims that it is a good speaker that is compatible with many and most enclosures. A pair of the APX-1526s costs $200 plus shipping from his site. That is a very very fair price for the quality speakers he is offering. Also, he offers recone kits on his site for only $27.50/pc for that woofer. Great deal there too as other companies' recone kits can be very expensive and hard to find.

Here's the link to the APX-1526:

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Speakers/X-1526/X-1526_cutsheet.asp

:thu:

I'll vouch for these drivers as an real world experiences also if you do a search about speaker shootout you'll see the APX's where in the top choices of replacement speakers I think it won over a lot of the Eminence drivers, Can't remember specifically which Eminence model they beat out but they're great bang for the buck replacement drivers. I own 2- apx15's and 2- apx18's for the past 11/2 years with out any probs. But I run my stuff pretty conservative.

Archived