Im thinking of going to an all "active" system.

• Members

I am looking at subs and the sub that keeps grabbing my eye is the Yorkville LS800P. Right now I have EV T-18 subs powered with a Crown XTI 2000. Am I going to notice a difference in sound between the York's and the EVs? Also, a concern I have is their power consumption. Does anyone know how much juice the LS800P's will pull out of the wall?

• Members

My partner and I use up to 8 LS800PB's (depending on the shows needs). Simply amazing sub. On top of those are 6 EF500PB's.

If I remember right, I think they each pull about 7 amps out of the wall. In a pinch one night, we ran a double stack a side (two LS800PB's and two EF500PB's per side) off of two 30 amp outlets of a PB and had no problems.

• Members

Is there a better powered sub that I should be looking at instead of the York's? I saw that JBL has a JRX powered sub, I cant imagine these two subs are even in the same league correct? Does the LS800P have a built in crossover or any kind of DSP?

• Members

Is there a better powered sub that I should be looking at instead of the York's? I saw that JBL has a JRX powered sub, I cant imagine these two subs are even in the same league correct? Does the LS800P have a built in crossover or any kind of DSP?

There's basic DSP like limiting and EQ selections, beyond that I don't know. The "crossovers" are of dubious value. For starters, it's not a real crossover in the sense that there's not an output from the sub that only sends the higher frequencies. Secondly, the slope of the filter may not be steep enough for you. I know it isn't on my LS700P as it gaks out a lot of stuff above the crossover point and sounds MUCH better with a real crossover. Somethng as simple as an $80 crossover can really help out the sound. A processor that has parametric EQ can really make it sound good.

• Members

There's basic DSP like limiting and EQ selections, beyond that I don't know. The "crossovers" are of dubious value. For starters, it's not a real crossover in the sense that there's not an output from the sub that only sends the higher frequencies. Secondly, the slope of the filter may not be steep enough for you. I know it isn't on my LS700P as it gaks out a lot of stuff above the crossover point and sounds MUCH better with a real crossover. Somethng as simple as an $80 crossover can really help out the sound. A processor that has parametric EQ can really make it sound good.

I have an active crossover, but I keep fantasizing about a rig that literally consists of a board and powered speakers that sounds good. I dont know if its possible, but Im hoping it is

• Members

I have an active crossover, but I keep fantasizing about a rig that literally consists of a board and powered speakers that sounds good. I dont know if its possible, but Im hoping it is

An active crossover is always best, but I have had no problems with my system using the internal filters. I'm sure I could tweek it a little better but for plug and play, it works great with just my board to EQ to speakers.

• Members

I've never seen / heard an all active system that i thought sounded or worked good. Then again, most that i have seen were FAR too small in electro-acoustic capacity. Couple that with a less than optimum installation ( in most cases ) and you've got a recipe for mediocrity at best. The recent show that i saw using a permanently mounted all active Mackie based system sounded HORRIBLE. Then again, the guy working the board was a blithering idiot to say the least.

Like anything else, do your homework before spending ANY money. Know what you want and expect out of such a system and then build accordingly. In my experience, it is always better to have more than what you need, both electrically and acoustically, than to have to run things on the ragged edge. There are times that we are all forced to do something like this, but making a habit of it definitely lowers the fun factor, sound quality and professional aspect of our jobs. Sean

• Members

I've never seen / heard an all active system that i thought sounded or worked good. Then again, most that i have seen were FAR too small in electro-acoustic capacity. Couple that with a less than optimum installation ( in most cases ) and you've got a recipe for mediocrity at best. The recent show that i saw using a permanently mounted all active Mackie based system sounded HORRIBLE. Then again, the guy working the board was a blithering idiot to say the least.

Sean

A fully active system should sound and perform better that it's passive equivalent in most cases since the amplifiers and electronics are tweaked at the factory by its designers for best possible performance even when used at its limits. Limiters, sweeping frequency filters, thermal and overexcursion protection is usually all built-in. Most two and three way speakers are also bi and tri-amped internally. They are less convenient for bigger installations (concerts and such) but for weekend warrior applications, powered speakers should sound better than passive with less equipment needed (out of the box), especially in the hands of the less experienced. It is still possible to make them sound bad of course, but this will usually be because of the limiters working overtime (having an audible compressing effect = no dynamics) because the operator brought less equipment than what was actually needed for the job....Maybe what you heard with the Mackie setup? I have all powered enclosures and have nothing but good things to say about them. :thu: Al

• Members

A fully active system should sound and perform better that it's passive equivalent in most cases since the amplifiers and electronics are tweaked at the factory by its designers for best possible performance even when used at its limits. Limiters, sweeping frequency filters, thermal and overexcursion protection is usually all built-in. Most two and three way speakers are also bi and tri-amped internally. They are less convenient for bigger installations (concerts and such) but for weekend warrior applications, powered speakers should sound better than passive with less equipment needed (out of the box), especially in the hands of the less experienced. It is still possible to make them sound bad of course, but this will usually be because of the limiters working overtime (having an audible compressing effect = no dynamics) because the operator brought less equipment than what was actually needed for the job....Maybe what you heard with the Mackie setup? I have all powered enclosures and have nothing but good things to say about them.
:thu:
Al

I have only gotten to hear fully active systems a few times and I never thought,"boy, that would sound way better if it were a traditional setup". All of the active systems I have heard , I thought sounded very good, and the thought of having less headache and less {censored} to haul is very appealing.

• Members

We just used our Yorkville nx55s and nx720's for the first time the other night and they sounded considerably better than our previous passive system of QSC amps and the ever so sweet Peavy pr12 or whatever those $159 plastic babies are. Our sound was much smoother than ever before. Load out and setup was easier too.

Are they the end all be all? Maybe not - but for our typical small club / sports bar type of gig they were just what the doctor ordered.

• Members

I understand that an active set-up "should" have MANY theoretical design advantages going for it. Engineers can design very specific operating parameters into the amplifier / driver interphase, which should have them working like gangbusters. As previously mentioned by Al, getting rid of user error ( properly adjusting limiters, compressors, crossover frequencies and slopes, etc... ) should add to the performance potential, not take away from it.

Having said that, i think that most of the problems that i've encountered have had a LOT to do with those operating / installing them. As Al mentioned, and even though this was a permanent in-house installation, the system was simply too small for what was needed. There was sooooo much HARD clipping going on that i couldn't tell if the inputs of the board were overloading, the amps were being overdriven, the drivers were giving out. Quite honestly, i think that all three were taking place!!!

When i tried to help the "sound man" and asked some questions about how he was running things, i could tell by his answers that he was clueless. No, he wasn't rude and just trying to blow me off, he was simply clueless. The scary thing is that he is the house sound operator for all of the shows there. This is in a night club that does shows on a regular basis, not a corner pub that did shows once a month. All of the gear appeared to be in great shape and of very recent vintage, so i know it wasn't old and beaten to death.

Outside of that, all of the other experiences that i've had with powered mains was quite similar in nature. Once again though, it probably boils down to simply NOT having enough system headroom and / or a lack of competence on the part of the sound man. I hesitate to use the term "sound engineer", as that would give these guys more credit than what their efforts deserved : ) Sean

• Members

I have the LS800P/EF500P setup. Its really nice, sets up quick and doesnt take up a large footprint. I run a Driverack with it. We get compliments all the time on the sound. I thought I would need a pair of subs per side, but after using them found that was not the case at all.

The JBL Mpro powered system I had was no comparison output wise.

• Members

A while back I had a setup with Meyer UPA-1P's in the shop for some cleanup and it sounded terrific, good sounding box with no additional work. I would be happy using this plus a console, no eq needed (except of course to deal with a problematic room).

I have EAW NT series cabinets. They sound so good that I rarely use a graphic EQ.

Archived