Wiring the amp rack

• Members

I just purchased to QSC PLX 1202s and a PLX 1602. I'm also about to get probably two GX3s.

I want to put them all in my rack with the crossover and make it really nice looking and easy to hookup. I have some rack panels with holes punched for XLr jacks and 1/4" jacks. I also have the jacks themselves.

What I was thinking about doing is wiring all of the inputs into a 1U panel on the front that would just use an 8 ch XLr snake to plug straight into the stagebox and then another 1U panel on the back with all the speaker connections pre-labeled and ready to go.

What do you guys think about this and what do you guys do? What about wiring some type of multipin connector for the inputs. Just snap it on and plug it into the stage box.

I'm trying to make it look really professional and go up in a snap.

I guess I should use speakon for my mains, I could use 4 pin cable and loop through my subs to the main cabs. I'll have to get the speakon cables though.

Also how would you guys handle power for all of these amps? I don't want to spend very much on power if possible, but I'm guessing I need several circuits to power all of these.

• Members

I keep my crossovers in my power amp racks as well. What I usually do is get a 1U patch panel from Parts Express or somewhere like that. I mount up my XLR input jacks from the FOH board and make short XLR cables from there to the crossover inputs (running aux fed subs, so I have two XLR inputs). From the crossover outputs I run short XLR cables to the inputs of the amps and jump with even shorter XLR cables as needed. I then make up short 12 or 13 gauge speaker cables that run from the binding posts of the amps to the speakon jacks in the patch panel and label or color code them. As far as power goes, I buy 4U blank rack panels and mount up some Hubbell panel-mount twist lock receptacles. On the back of the panel I mount a standard double gang receptacle box with 20A outlets for each twist lock circuit. I mount as many as I will need to split up the power between the amps in that particular rack.

It's a pain for sure, but it keeps things clean and simple in the long run.

• Members

Sounds like what I plan on doing.

How would you guys divide up power for this amp rack and how many circuits is it going to need?

I'm starting to look into some kind of multipin connector, but they don't seem to be cheap.

I'm also doing stuff like this with front of house. Right now i keep the whips in the cases and just pull them out and plug them in but it makes for a pretty ugly setup. I'd like to wire up a doghouse to just do a DB25 connector or two to each rack. That seems to be the cheapest one.

• Members

Well, if we are talking about 20A circuits, I would probably put the two 1202s on one circuit, the two GX3s on another circuit and then put the 1602 on the one of the two circuits with the amps that will be working the least. In a perfect world you would probably want a third circuit for the 1602 so that you are covered all around in case you really hit those things hard.

• Members

grayrearia8.th.jpg

Multipins are your friends, however I would suggest also wiring XLR jacks in parallel for quick patching and in case the multipin fails. For a relatively inexpensive multipin solution, check out G-block connectors. Old milspec stuff that holds up quite nicely.

• Members

I just purchased to QSC PLX 1202s and a PLX 1602. I'm also about to get probably two GX3s.

I want to put them all in my rack with the crossover and make it really nice looking and easy to hookup. I have some rack panels with holes punched for XLr jacks and 1/4" jacks. I also have the jacks themselves.

What I was thinking about doing is wiring all of the inputs into a 1U panel on the front that would just use an 8 ch XLr snake to plug straight into the stagebox and then another 1U panel on the back with all the speaker connections pre-labeled and ready to go.

What do you guys think about this and what do you guys do? What about wiring some type of multipin connector for the inputs. Just snap it on and plug it into the stage box.

I'd put all the cabling on the back instead of half up front and half in back. A multipin might be more trouble than it's worth for only 8 channels. How long does it take to patch in an 8ch snake? 5, maybe 10 seconds?

-Dan.

• Members

Really the FOH is where I want the multi-pins a lot more. 8 channels isn't an issue, but with the snake and both racks there are a lot of wires. It is only a 5-10 minutes job still, but if I could get the parts for $20 or something then it would be neat to just hook two connections and FOH is done.

• Members

Really the FOH is where I want the multi-pins a lot more. 8 channels isn't an issue, but with the snake and both racks there are a lot of wires. It is only a 5-10 minutes job still, but if I could get the parts for $20 or something then it would be neat to just hook two connections and FOH is done.

Yeah, if you have a bunch of stuff, then go for it.

-Dan.

• Members

It's really not that much, but I think it makes it look a lot nicer and very professional. I want to have a very clean looking professional PA for rentals and if some added labor and a little in parts can do it I'd like to.

I've got probably about 8-16 channels of inserts, 6 AUX sends, and my mains to go into the racks for processing, plus I want to put a connection for a talkback mic and CD inputs up there. Basically I would wire my snake up and be done. Though really the thing that would save even more time would be to wire up a multipin connection for the snake that connects to the fanout. Or for that matter cut off the fan out and put a multi-pin on it. It would be sad to do that to my brand new snake, but honestly that is the place that needs it the most. It's a 24/8 snake so that's a good number of connections.

What do you guys think of wiring a multipin end onto my snake to go to a connection on my mixer case. Then take the fan out and put a multipin on it so that if needed I can reconnect the fan to it for using without the dog house?

What multi-pin connectors would you suggest for that? The whirlwind ones I saw were upwards of $80 a piece.

• Members

I have 3 racks plus the mixer case. Two sit next to me (one is full of EQ and such for my master section, one is full of FX, compressors, wireless, etc). Then the amp rack goes side stage.

I am seeing a speakon connector for power on some of these sites, did you use that? Is that the blue cable going into your mixer rack?

• Members

I have 3 racks plus the mixer case. Two sit next to me (one is full of EQ and such for my master section, one is full of FX, compressors, wireless, etc). Then the amp rack goes side stage.

I am seeing a speakon connector for power on some of these sites, did you use that? Is that the blue cable going into your mixer rack?

Yes I did, it is the powercon with the blue tip.

• Members

2 x 20 amp circuits are plenty enough for 2 x 1202 and 1 x 1602 on one and 3 x GX-3 on the other.

Multipin connectors must be constructed with big time attention to detail, otherwise any problem may end up being unsolveable in the heat of the moment. Use multipin only where the benefits are a clear advantage.

• Members

I wouldn't like to be tripping on those cables all night.

If I understand your post correctly (I've misunderstood posts in the past): I configure all of my racks with the patch panels on the front... for a number of reasons:

1) Generally, I believe it matters not if the cables are plugged into the front or back concerning trip hazards. Trip hazards are a function of the routing of the cable some distance from the rack or the rack is positioned in harms way.

2) Oftentimes my racks are pushed up against a wall or speaker stack. Having the cabling coming out of the front diminishes problems with pinched cables.

3) Out the front cabling diminishes complications involved with connecting cables and improves visual confirmation of correct patching.

• Members

If I understand your post correctly (I've misunderstood posts in the past): I configure all of my racks with the patch panels on the front... for a number of reasons:

1) Generally, I believe it matters not if the cables are plugged into the front or back concerning trip hazards. Trip hazards are a function of the routing of the cable some distance from the rack or the rack is positioned in harms way.

2) Oftentimes my racks are pushed up against a wall or speaker stack. Having the cabling coming out of the front diminishes problems with pinched cables.

3) Out the front cabling diminishes complications involved with connecting cables and improves visual confirmation of correct patching.

Wouldn't the most obvious compromise (I know this isn't obvious until you think about it) be to side mount the patch panels. No out the front trip hazard, no having to get to the back of the rack to plug together, if two are side by side then they can be very easily connected together, it would imply having some sort of lid on the side as well as the back and front of the rack though.

It would also seem that it would be easier to wire together from the side than from the back or front.

• Members

Wouldn't the most obvious compromise (I know this isn't obvious until you think about it) be to side mount the patch panels. No out the front trip hazard, no having to get to the back of the rack to plug together, if two are side by side then they can be very easily connected together, it would imply having some sort of lid on the side as well as the back and front of the rack though.

It would also seem that it would be easier to wire together from the side than from the back or front.

Patchpanels on the sides are fine except for the fact that I generally have the need to tight group racks side-by-side, and as you've noted there's not protection for the panels in transport (without a third lid... and some re-engineering of racks which don't have side covers as an industry standard)... and confirming connections would be arguably as difficult on the sides as on the back. Other than *that* it's a good idea.

• Members

Mark, if you notice the rack in the picture has a mixer in it. One would have to stand on the cables to move a slider,which is unacceptable to me. That's what I'm talking about.

No, I didn't notice the mixer on the one rack. I was focusing on the patchbays.

And yes, in the case of a mixer rack situation it might make more sense to route the cabling out the back.

• Members

I run the snake under the rack, the connectors are above the caster-plate and in the places I play, (very small, very crowded, very drunk and very rowdy) I would rather trust the soundman to watch out for the cabling then 100 drunks in a 75 person room. I also like that the back is closed to the public as I have seen some-one trying to use the inside of my FOH rack as a drink-holder.

Archived