NBD

Etienne Rambert

• Members

I am now the owner of a Balalaika. It is relatively vintage, made in Leningrad (not St. Petersburg), in the USSR (not Russia), maybe 1970's.

I don't think it's worth a lot of money, a couple of million dollars tops. Maybe less.It isn't what I'd call a beauty.

It has 3 strings. One is missing.I think it takes the 1st and 2nd string of a guitar. But a 3rd string might work.

The neck is about the size of a mandolin. The body is triangular. It's about this size:

8935500-Russian-soldier-with-balalaika-isolated-on-white-background--Stock-Photo.jpg

Pics of mine to follow.Now I'm wondering what in the Hell am I going to do w/ this thing? It would make a hell of a good weapon.

• Members

Happy New Pointy Instrument Day. Here's some info on strings: http://www.amazon.com/La-Bella-Balalaika-String-Set/dp/B0016BKT0S/ref=sr_1_2/176-7799568-0414030?ie=UTF8&qid=1447192563&sr=8-2&keywords=balalaika+strings. That set is .008, .010, and .012. Looks like a second or third string wouldn't work but a first might depending on which string is missing. BTW, the USSR reference reminded me that my hygrometer was made in "East Germany." Kinda weird to still see leftovers from those days sometimes.

• Members
Happy New Pointy Instrument Day. Here's some info on strings: http://www.amazon.com/La-Bella-Balalaika-String-Set/dp/B0016BKT0S/ref=sr_1_2/176-7799568-0414030?ie=UTF8&qid=1447192563&sr=8-2&keywords=balalaika+strings. That set is .008' date=' .010, and .012. Looks like a second or third string wouldn't work but a first might depending on which string is missing. BTW, the USSR reference reminded me that my hygrometer was made in "East Germany." Kinda weird to still see leftovers from those days sometimes.[/quote']

Yeah, I purchased a triangular-shaped time-warp. I will try guitar strings, starting w/9 or 10.

• Members

That's actually a pretty decent instrument ( the one with the book )

The one in the picture with the fellow with Russian souvenir hat is not ( i have one simalar to that one )

yours does not look like the typical export quality -but one you'd buy in the USSR.

Not a bad balilikia - their allot of fun -

Archived