Considering An Acoustic Amp

u6crash

• Members

Well, I've never had one of these before. Once upon a time I had a nice big PA system and I always just mic'd my guitar or used the active under saddle pickup in my acoustic. Now my setup has changed. I've gone to having no PA system and no preamp on my guitar. All I have is a Dean Markley soundhole pickup.

I have my first "gig" in several years coming up on December 6. I'm not getting paid for this or anything and it's a small private affair, but it sounds like there will be enough people there that I'd like to be amplified. I've posted links to two different models that I'm considering.

Laney LA65C

Carvin AG100D

The Laney is 65 watts, two 8" speakers, and has two channels: one for guitar, one for a mic. The Carvin is on sale now, but still a hundred dollars more after shipping. It claims to handle bass and keyboard which may be a plus for the future, but I have no illusions that it will be the end all solution. If anything I could see using it as a recording amp for a bass in the future instead of a DI box. It has a 12" speaker, 100 watts, and three channels instead of two. In a pinch I would probably use this thing for a number of other applications.

If money weren't an object I'd probably just buy another PA and get an acoustic preamp/DI box, but hey, times are tight, right? The Carvin is at the high end of my budget for now. Depending on how this show goes, I might try to do this more often.

Anyway, if any of you has experience with either one of these or suggestions for alternative means of amplification, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

• Members

Keyboard, bass, and many acoustic guitar amps are just flat EQ'd PA systems with a speaker.

That's just carvin bolstering fact.

As for an amp, I'd say go for OLD, GOOD, CLEAN, solid state electric guitar amps.

Vox made a solid state AC30, fender made solid state princeton choruses, and rolands's Jazz chorus is still legendary.

Due to the transition of fender to rivera and the implementation of PCBs in the tube amplifiers, as well as the "love 'em or hate 'em" red knobs, an 80's princeton chorus can be had in some cases for as little as 100 bucks, and would make a phenomenal acoustic guitar amplifier.

On any of these, I recommend always an outboard EQ, danelectro's fish and chips being the standard.

• Members

I'm not sure about going with an electric amp unless it has two channels with independent volume controls. I want to be running a mic through this thing and would really prefer to have an XLR input instead of switching down to a 1/4" mic plug. I've been looking at the Crate amps as well, and this might be an option. Some reviews I'm reading put the 60watt Crate up above the Acoustasonic 30 which costs more.

• Members

I'm not sure about going with an electric amp unless it has two channels with independent volume controls. I want to be running a mic through this thing and would really prefer to have an XLR input instead of switching down to a 1/4" mic plug.

The ultrachorus has two channels which can run independently(i believe, if not, it has multiple inputs, and you may use multiple ouboard EQs to dial in volume), as does a roland JC120.

You can get an XLR->1/4" adapter. Nobody will notice the difference, trust me.

• Members

I strongly suggest that you read the reviews of the Carvin AG100. It has had some major performance issues. If they are solved, it's a great bass/acoustic/and vocal amp. If not, it's as predictable as the weather.

I have had the Fender Acoustasonic and I now have the Ultrasound 50. Of all of them I like the Ultrasound the best.

• Members

Well, I ended up making an offer on a Crate 60w Gunnison Acoustic Amp. The Seller has 18hr left to accept or decline my offer, which wasn't much less than they were already selling it for. I had an eBay coupon that would bring the price down to a little over $300 after shipping so it seemed like the best all around value for now. I like the fact that it has line outs and some built in effects and the Crate reviews I've read have all been very positive. I think I'll end up going with the Crate even if my offer isn't accepted, but thanks for the link to the Ultrasound. Milwaukee is a little far for me though.

I'm also planning to install the Dean Markley La Jolla active/passive combo pickup in my guitar. Seems like they are being blown out around fifty bucks and I think it will be a step above from my wooden soundhole pickup. Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I'll let you all know when I have a new amp to play with.

• Members

I had to sell mine, but I highly recommend that you check into a Marshall AS50R or AS50D (the R being the older amp with spring reverb and analog chorus). You can get a used one for around $250 and they sound great. Next would be the Ultrasound. Very good amp but I just don't care for the digital effects though they sound decent.

Archived