Cavaquinho vs Ukulele

dcatkinson

• Members

Hi

I'm trying to find out what exactly are the differences between the cavaquinho and ukulele.

Specifically, I want to learn cavaquinho and I'm wondering if its possible restring/retune my ukulele. Or if that isn't possible, where I can find/buy cavaquinhos.

Thanks,

• Members

The cavaquinho is most commonly tuned D-G-B-D, as opposed to the uke, which is generally tuned, as you know, G-C-E-A.

Without swapping around strings to achieve the right gauge in the right place, I don't see how a uke could be tuned as a cavaquinho, even though the two instruments are related; I have heard that the uke developed from the cava.

However, chord fingerings and melody lines on the cava are very easy to play without any experience on the instrument. I have seen a player tune the highest string to E (so that the tuning is now D-G-B-E), and play it exactly as you would play the highest four strings of a standard tuned guitar.

• Members

Here are some Giannini cavaquinhos. Music123 might have few since they carry some Giannini instruments.

I've been interested in Brazilian music for a while and have thought about getting one, but still haven't. I love the sound--punchier than a uke. And those choro cavaquinho players sound fantastic.

Ukes are hip, but in an odd way. Most people when they hear "uke" they think Tiny Tim--hardly any think of Jake. But say "cavaquinho" and only the cognoscenti will think choro!

BTW, here's a chord chart.

As far as restringing, I don't think ukes are braced for steel strings--so you might have some problems.

As far as tuning, most ukes (except the baritone and some tenors) use re-entrant tunings while cavas don't, which makes the string guages different.

• Members

Yep, the cavaquinhos have steel strings and ukes have nylon. Can't really turn one into the other.

You could probably get away with a either a very thin gauge steel string (8's) or better still a low tension string like Thomastick 'Precision' or 'Rope'

• 1 year later...

Archived