X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This could be you

1965 Gibson es-335 and Delta airlines baggage handlers....damn shame.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...214634001.html

Sickening. However the owner MUST take the principal blame for this. Airlines have an established reputation for being destructive with baggage. Google 'United Breaks Guitars'.

Putting that guitar into the hands of an airline baggage system, in an obviously inadequate case, was pure stupidity.
    Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society, Martin snob, vitriolic sociopath, and tantrumist

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by FretFiend.
      View Post

Sickening. However the owner MUST take the principal blame for this. Airlines have an established reputation for being destructive with baggage. Google 'United Breaks Guitars'.

Putting that guitar into the hands of an airline baggage system, in an obviously inadequate case, was pure stupidity.

While boarding in Buffalo, Schneider says he asked Delta staffers not to check in the vintage guitar
      Originally Posted by DToad:

Lets face it- today's GOP is all about the richest one percent exploiting the dumbest fifty percent.

Comment

Well, that settles it then. From now on I'm flying my mother-in-law as checked baggage on Delta ......

Thanks for the tip !!

Paul

Comment

"Hanukkah-themed rock band, The LeeVees"?

"Hockey-themed rock band", The Zambonis"?

Lets face it- today's GOP is all about the richest one percent exploiting the dumbest fifty percent.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcapo
            View Post

Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society, Martin snob, vitriolic sociopath, and tantrumist

Comment

View Post

According to the article, he was given no other options.
              God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

In that case? Almost criminally stupid.

But then there's no reason to believe musicians are any smarter than baggage handlers.

Comment

Let's see you have a $10,000 guitar...put guitar in cheap case...entrust it to airlines baggage handling system....uh NO!
                  If you find your self alone riding in green fields with the sun in your face... do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium. And you are already dead! Brothers... what we do in life... echoes in eternity! (Gladiator)

Comment

"Hanukkah-themed rock band, The LeeVees"?

"Hockey-themed rock band", The Zambonis"?

Haiku-themed rock band, "We play, they applaud, all done"
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="SeaGreen">Sometimes the only compensation for doing the right thing is knowing that you did.</font><br />
                    <font size="1">- John Gorka</font><br />
                    <font color="DarkOrange">It's never too late to have a happy childhood.</font><br />
                    <font size="1">- Marshall Chapman</font><br />
                    <font color="Magenta">Shut up 'n play yer guitar.</font><br />
                    <font size="1">- Frank Zappa</font><br />
                    <br />
                    <font color="RoyalBlue">Adjunct member, IK(H?)FC III</font><br />
                    <font color="DarkOrchid">Steering Committee, Psalm 19 Society (IKFC IV)</font><br />
                    <font size="1">Yamaha G-120 wabi-sabi classical: Just another good ol' Yammie Lammie</font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall
                      View Post

According to the article, he was given no other options.

Did they point a gun at him and tell him to check the guitar? Yes, he had other options.

Comment

View Post

Did they point a gun at him and tell him to check the guitar? Yes, he had other options.

Professional musicians do not blow off gigs just because an airline employee is being a jerk...in such a scenario, a pro makes the best of the crappy situation, even if there are unpleasant consequences from time to time...

Comment

Professional people take care of the tools of their trade. Like maybe not putting an outrageously expensive instrument in harm's way... in a substandard case.

Comment

View Post

I guess he could have just refused to fly and eaten the cost of the ticket since that was the only other option.

Comment

View Post

Professional people take care of the tools of their trade. Like maybe not putting an outrageously expensive instrument in harm's way... in a substandard case.

He was accustomed to flying with his instrument in the overhead compartments...had the airline employee followed the new rules, it still would've been safe. Oviously, you've never hauled around an instrument in a flight case...those wheels on the bottom are not a fashion statement.

A flightcase and luggage gets to be exhausting to travel with, unless you have a enterage to help carry things around, and it doesn't sound like this fellow was that far up the entertainer "food-chain".

When I have to fly, I prefer to have the guitar in the seat beside me or I make arrangements to put my guitar (only my 12-string Taylor goes with me, and I borrow a six-string when I get there for the gigs) in the Captain's closet...usually, I can charm someone into allowing this, but I'm not above using a bribe ($50 is good).

Whenever possible, though, I drive, take a bus or a train, because even in an ATA flightcase, guitars (and other instruments) get damaged/destroyed by the airlines all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcapo
                              View Post

I guess he could have just refused to fly and eaten the cost of the ticket since that was the only other option.

Strangely enough, refusing to show up for the gig under such circumstances is a good way to develope a reputation for being undependable and a prima donna...not conducive to ever playing that venue ever again.

Do that often enough and you'll get to say such clever phrases as "You want fries with that?" at all of your next gigs...

Comment

Working...
                              X