Canola oil on a rosewood fretboard?

NotDead

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+ 100%
:thu:

just use mineral oil (sparingly)...available at any pharmacy.

Plus, if you want lemon oil, simply add a small drop of lemon essence. :thu:

But for god's sake don't use animal or vegetable oil, unless you want to invite the neighbourhood's cat, dog and rat population while running the risk of having your guitar slowly disintegrate.

• Members

Okay thanks.

How would someone get it off?

Mineral spirits, turpentine, paint thinner (spirit based, NOT LACQUER THINNER)

I've been told that naptha (lighter fluid) will be OK but I'm a little afraid of that.

Don't let it contact anything but the fretboard.

• Members

I use human oil. Seriously, if you play your guitar regularly you should never need to oil your fretboard.

+1000

I've never oiled a fretboard. An occasional cleaning with a slightly damp cloth is all I do.

Additionally, I've played a couple gits that have had oiled fretboards and they stank.

• Members

+1000

I've never oiled a fretboard. An occasional cleaning with a slightly damp cloth is all I do.

Additionally, I've played a couple gits that have had oiled fretboards and
they stank.

literally? Maybe that was the bacon grease...

• Members

I know what turpentine is.

It also happens to be the most flammable substance I know of.

Hence Monterey pop festival reference.

Gasoline is flammable. Turpentine is flammable. Even canola oil is flammable. Oh, and canola oil will go rancid when exposed to air. Phewww! Get it off quick. :eek:

• Members

Gasoline is flammable. Turpentine is flammable. Even canola oil is flammable. Oh, and canola oil
will
go rancid when exposed to air. Phewww! Get it off quick.
:eek:

Would alcohol get it off?

And yes, I know that, too, is flammable.

• Members

Most vegetable oils will get rancid and gum up over a short time. I use a Walnut oil as a food-safe oil on my wood turnings and, since it does not go rancid and gum up, I also use a light coating of it on my rosewood fingerboards.

• Members

Most vegetable oils will get rancid and gum up over a short time. I use a Walnut oil as a food-safe oil on my wood turnings and, since it does not go rancid and gum up, I also use a light coating of it on my rosewood fingerboards.

Never heard of walnut oil but it sounds like a decent idea. I've used gun stock oil, which is essentially boiled linseed oil, with decent results but then again I rarely oil the fingerboards on my guitars anyway. I've used it on my 12-string once in 35 years, once on our daughter's probably-25-year-old Epi, and once on my 5-year-old Alvarez beater.

• Members

Never heard of walnut oil but it sounds like a decent idea. I've used gun stock oil, which is essentially boiled linseed oil, with decent results but then again I rarely oil the fingerboards on my guitars anyway. I've used it on my 12-string once in 35 years, once on our daughter's probably-25-year-old Epi, and once on my 5-year-old Alvarez beater.

Tung oil! :idea:

I didn't know that worked. I'll do that from henceforth.

Archived