Canola oil on a rosewood fretboard?

NotDead

• Members

I rub down with a dry cloth between string changes (so that's every 4 weeks or so) and, a couple of times a year, I squirt a bit of ordinary (Pledge type) furniture polish onto a cloth to clean off any grime. (Some people say you are not supposed to do this but I've been doing it for many years and it doesn't seem to have harmed my fretboards in any way.)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So sorry to disagree...
:evil:

Any triglyceride can go rancid, and canola is quite prone to rancidity.

Google > and read up. :poke:

Also, even if your statement were true, it would not be applicable. As soon as you apply the oil to a fingerboard, it would be the equivalent of stirring canola with a dirty piece of wood and mixing in dead skin and other filth from fingers. "Pure" is out the wndow.
:)

well yes, the things that stick to it might go rancid :p

ever see the "fast food decay" experiment? theres a video on youtube where some people took various fast foods and left them out to decompose. everything eventually went nasty within a few weeks, but mcdonands french fries, suppusedly cooked in canola oil stayed "good as new" for nearly a year until an intern accidentally threw them away.

in any case i think we all agree its not a good idea for fretboards :)

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I had two of my electric guitars set up by a luthier who used canola oil. I haven't had any issues with smell or oil never drying. It's actually pretty solid. The canola oil is very good for absorbing dirt and grime and you can also wiped the entire guitar with it. Give it a few hours and it dries up well with a nice shine as well. I had my guitar setup over a year ago and there were never any problems with rancid smell. The guitars used were a Jackson Dinky DKMG and a Fender Heartfield Talon I.

Archived