Madeira A-4 Acoustic

Pitar

• Members

Anyone know anything about these? A co-worker, Pete, asked me to fit a new nut onto one that he's had since who knows when. He's giving it to his son who's taking guitar lessons. Knowing Pete, he probably got the thing in his dumpster diving days. He's a scrounge.

Anyway, I got the thing from him with the truss rod fully tightened badly back-bowing the neck, no strings or nut and otherwise looking pretty decent. I slipped on the new nut just to have something under the strings and 5 days and several truss rod adjustments later have a decently playable guitar. Tonight I cut the nut slots and she's a beaut. The label shows it to be imported for Guild. It's a small body guitar with an 11" and 14.5" upper and lower bouts, respectively. Anyway, no fretting out and easy to play at the first fret, my job is done.

• Members

From what I can gather, they were a low-end pac-rim guitar imported and distributed by Guild in the late-70's, early-80's. Consensus seems to indicate that they were not very good in overall quality. A genuine beater. Entry level all the way. But then, on the other hand, other people raved about them. They say that they experienced many crooked necks, fit and finish problems, etc. Evidently, Guild removed the "by Guild" from the Madeira line in the early-80's, thereby hastening their demise. Wish I had better news for you.

The consensus suggests that the A-1 was the real problem child of the line. Being that you have an A-4, then maybe you lucked out and have an upscale version.

• Members

The guitar isn't mine. I got it playable for a co-worker's son. Actually not a bad little player. It's way too narrow at the nut for my scary digits but otherwise I think it's a great first guitar. It intonates very well up to the 12th fret. I left the action a bit high at that position. Lot's of saddle showing and no bellying or bridge lift. Braces are solid. The sound is kinda small to my ears but the projection is good. I think his kid'll have some good times with it.

• Members

Offend? Unpossible. I looked it up too and read a bunch of mixed stuff from folks who were generalizing the brand. That happens. One man talks poo and the next thing you know the whole room stinks. I just never heard of the brand but, like you point out, it's an import initially under the Guild label. The A-1 is the crux of the bad rep. That was back in the 70's and I never knew anything about any brands except Guild, Gibson, Martin, Ovation and Yamaha. Of them I've owned all except Gibson. Any brands outside those were not on my radar. This A-4 I worked on was a good little guitar. I asked because I was curious if anyone here had any experience with one. I think it's a great beater.

On a more mock-objective note, I don't get uppity about brands or pitched into the reverence thereof. I just play them and buy them if they make me smile.

• Members

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I simply googled Madeira Guitars and reported what came up.
:facepalm:

i too am not offended

i traded mine for a broken beeper in the early 90's

mine has double binding, purfling, binding on the neck and headstock and a herringbone inlay strip right down the center of its back

...and it has some face dings from where my baby boy (now almost 13!) beat on it with drumsticks

to me its priceless :)

• Members

As a member of LetstalkGuild.com...I remember the forum having some info on it....you may want to use the search engine and see what you come up with. You may also want to email Hans Moust....he hangs on this site and is the Guru of Guilds...he wrote the best Guild reference book available today...I recommed the book if you have any interest in Guilds.

http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Guitar-Book-Hans-Moust/dp/0634009664

• Members

I actually had one of these back in '84. As I recall, it was unusually well made for an inexpensive guitar, and it had a nice sound. I played it for a couple of years, before trading it in on a USA solid-wood George Washburn. My roommate (and bass player) was kind of cross with me afterwards because I let that guitar go. And although I truly believed that every acoustic I bought or traded over the next few years was an upgrade, he obviously thought otherwise, and he insisted on periodically sighing and moaning while remarking that he wished I still had it, as it had always been his "favorite".

I'm not as nostalgic over it as he obviously was. But I know it must have had a pretty good sound, and decent playability as well, or I would have never brought it home. Nor did I get it set-up, being somewhat vague on the subject back then, and I don't recall being irritated by the action.

I actually learned a lot about playing guitar while I had that instrument, and wrote some of my first songs with it.

... JT

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

I know I am a few years too late for this conversation, but in case anyone cares...I own a Guild Madeira A-4 and have had a 1982 model since the mid-90's. I traded a bowling ball for it as it sat at the bottom of a friend's closet! I already had a couple high-end acoustics but couldn't resist grabbing this little "beater" when I saw it under a pile of junk. I am not going to say that it sounds better than my any of the all solid wood acoustics I have had over the years because that would be nuts and really is unfair to the A-4. What I can say is that over the years I have played this guitar more than any other guitar I have ever owned because it is left out to play, while the others are protected in their cases, and, I hate to say it, it is just more comfortable to play. The smaller body and 24.75 scale make it a pleasure to horse around on. As for the sound, it is actually pretty darn good...and I'm not qualifying that with a "for a laminate guitar". It sounds pretty good for any smaller body guitar. This guitar, in my opinion, is very well built considering the abuse it took before I had it AND since I have never had it in a case it has been a real workhorse. It stays in tune, has very playable action (quite low actually) and has not required any special attention other than an occasional cleaning. Maybe I just got lucky, but this guitar has been the constant in my ever changing guitar stable.

• Members

Yup, old thread. Torpedoes inbound in 4-3-2-

I'm Idunno, formerly known as Pitar until the site imploded and I had to re-register. I have not bothered being bothered about it.

Cool report. I played the A-4 when it finally settled down to a playable action but squeezing my fat fingertips into any chord at the 1st position wasn't happening. It sounded fine and similar to a Larrivee OO size I had some years ago - memory fading, of course.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
I have an opportunity to get one for 80 bucks' date=' is this a good price?[/quote']

Hi and welcome to the Forum. The answer, as usual, is "It depends." It depends on the condition of the guitar. We're talking about a guitar that's easily 35 years old and older guitars are subject to potentially serious issues. A fairly expensive guitar might be worth fixing but something like a Madeira not so much.

Archived