Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such a thing as a rosewood D1GT or are there very dark varieties of sapelle?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there such a thing as a rosewood D1GT or are there very dark varieties of sapelle?

Earlier this week I had to take my car to the dealership and there was a Guitar Center on the way home. I looked at a few guitars (Bedell, Breedlove, Taylor 320) but one that impressed me was a Martin D1GT. I generally don't care for low-end Martins but I'd make an exception for this one. Gloss top, as advertised, and Martin style satin back and sides, meaning about as dull as a brick. Anyway, the back and sides were very dark and I thought it was rosewood until I checked the specs. It was apparently the darkest sapelle I've ever seen.

Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

It's called DR-16GT
    Rosewood b/s, but Series 16 appointments.

Comment

• DeepEnd
      DeepEnd commented
      Editing a comment

No, this was a D1 with a D1 rosette and a black pickguard vs. tortoise for the DR16GT. Apparently just very dark sapelle.

Sounds like a typo. Was the neck that stratabond material or a single piece of wood? Was there white body binding? If the answer to both questions is yes then it was a D-16RGT with solid rosewood back and sides (as opposed to laminate sapele) & a single piece Spanish cedar neck.
    Gear:
    2013 Official Luthier's Forum Medium Jumbo (Western red cedar/mahogany)
    2012 McKnight McUke (soprano ukulele, redwood/mahogany)
    2010 Martin D-16GT
    2006 Larrivee OM-03R
    1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (natural ash finish)
    1989 Kramer Stryker
    197? Epiphone Texan FT-160N

Comment

• DeepEnd
      DeepEnd commented
      Editing a comment

Stratabond neck and black binding with purfling. I'm sticking with dark sapelle for now.

Probably a stain then. Martin's not known for keeping their woods au naturale. I have a mahogany D-16GT and they stained it red whereas the natural color is actually a honey brown. I can't argue that I love the tone but their aesthetics could use some updating.
    Gear:
    2013 Official Luthier's Forum Medium Jumbo (Western red cedar/mahogany)
    2012 McKnight McUke (soprano ukulele, redwood/mahogany)
    2010 Martin D-16GT
    2006 Larrivee OM-03R
    1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (natural ash finish)
    1989 Kramer Stryker
    197? Epiphone Texan FT-160N

Comment

Working...
    X