Source for used pickups?

papaschtroumpf

• Members

I keep reading how you can find used pickups for cheap on the Internet, but I'm not looking in the right places, most of the time the prices are barely lower than new, and places like e-bay or reverb seem to have more new stuff listed than used/cheap.

Maybe my problem is that I don;t know pickups very well, so I can't identify "no name" deals, or that I end up looking for something very specific, e.g .I want a set of P-Rails, rather than looking for something more generic like a good '57 style humbucker.

• Members

My point exactly, most of those search results polluted by new items, and the deals are where? in most cases those use prices are maybe 10% new retail. Maybe my definition of "cheap" is not the same as that of people claiming you can find cheap used pickup

It gets even worse when looking for a specific pickup, e.g. the P-Rails all show up at the same price as what I can get from MF

• Members

EBay lets you filter new from used. You can also select brand names from a long list if you expand it. The filter doesn't block all generics however. If they put in something like Used "For Fender" "For Gibson" for example it may get though as an actual Fender or Gibson pickup. I think some even know how to get it by the filters by doing this. Its still better then sifting through thousands of no name and generics.

There are many very decent generics however. Getting to know them as well as the name brands can be a big money saver. I've used many Artec pickups which are the biggest generic maker out there sold by dozens of EBay stores including Guitar Fetish which sells nothing but generics with their own name on them. So long as they are made as well and sound good it really doesn't matter what name is on the pickup. After all they're just a long piece of wire and a magnet.

• Members
I keep reading how you can find used pickups for cheap on the Internet

If you haven't figured it out by now, anybody can say or claim anything on the internet. :lol:

Anyways, something used like a P-rail just isnt gonna show up a half dozen times a day for sale, much less be found selling for way less than half the retail street price of a new one. The obvious places to look are eBay, Reverb, or CL. Other places to look are the various guitar forums or even Amazon.

• Members
The Trading Post on the Dimarzio Forums

http://www.dimarzioforum.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Thanks for pointing out the Dimarzio forum. I'll take a look. Otherwise, I cruise around looking for bargains on the various "better than average" and boteek pickups when the need arises. I got lucky one day about 3 years ago and stumbled upon a good deal on a matched Rio Grande BBQ set with gold covers off of Craigs List. I removed the gold covers and installed them in one of my late 80s Gibbo Explorers in place of the original harsh sounding Gibson ceramics and never looked back. smiley-cool03.gif

• Members
My point exactly, most of those search results polluted by new items, and the deals are where? in most cases those use prices are maybe 10% new retail. Maybe my definition of "cheap" is not the same as that of people claiming you can find cheap used pickup

It gets even worse when looking for a specific pickup, e.g. the P-Rails all show up at the same price as what I can get from MF

If you're looking for an inexpensive P-Rail, I can look in a box in either my garage or the spare room upstairs. I may have one that I bought a few years ago for a project that didn't pan out. I may even have a Triple Shot mounting ring. I would only have the bridge pup, though.

I say "may" because I my rode-hard-and-put-up-wet brain doesn't retain stuff like it used to. 16x16_smiley-lol.png

Archived