Still looking for a strat

chimi

• Members

Hey guys,

I've posted a few threads about wanting a strat. I'm a hard rock player but man i LOVE the feel of the Fender necks (the C shape is perfect for my hand). One of the guitars i've identified lately has been the Fender Lonestar (the MIM version) as these have a Seymour Duncan humbucker. If i can scrape enough money together i'd love to jump on a Fender FSR Hot Rod (wanted one for over a year now).

Are there any other specific Fender models i should look at? Specifically ones that may have a little hotter pickups?

Are there any other brands i should look into with similar neck shapes? The higher end Yamaha Pacificas look very nice, anything else?

I wouln't even mind a Squier that was set up well and had no sharp frets. If i do have the cash i would even throw a Billy Corgan loaded pickguard in it.

Now i did go into guitar center this weekend and played the Squier HH that they were blowing out for Black Friday at $99 (while it was a nice little guitar the frets were not well dressed and i don't want to spend $140 on a guitar and spend more than that in making it playable). I also played an American Standard Strat unplugged; the thing was flawless with perfect action. Unfortunately it was out of my price range. To be honest, i don't think i would notice a major difference between a well set up MIM and MIA as i'm mostly a bedroom player.

• Members

I wouldn't focus on the model so much - find something that feels good unplugged and simply accept that later, you'll likely change pickups.

I adore Fender guitars, but the longer I am around them (35+ years and counting now) the more I think they are snowflakes ... each one different, you need to find 'the one' that feels good to you and then take care of electronics as an ongoing process. My .02.

Archived