Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2014 or Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plust-Top Pro

RolM

• Members

[h=2]I decided to learn to play the guitar. I like the sound of the Gibson Les Paul but not sure if it worth to invest so much money in the first guitar. I was looking at Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2014.

I read somewhere that the Epiphone Les Pauls sound similarly.

I would like a guitar which sounds good and I’ll be able to use it even after my newbie period. In other words I would rather invest more than being “forced” to upgrade my gear after a couple of years.[/h] [h=2]In the light of the above could you please give me advice whether I should buy an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus – Top Pro or I should go for a Gibson Traditional 2014?[/h] [h=2][/h] [h=2]Thanks in advance.[/h]

• Members
[h=2]I decided to learn to play the guitar

Buy the Epiphone - you may decide that guitar is too much work and drop it. You'll lose trying to recoup your money on a used guitar. The more you spend the more you lose. Once you can play the solo to Stairway to Heaven, reward yourself with a decent guitar.

• Members

Thanks cfrago, but I have a kick against buying used guitar through internet. If something is wrong with the guitar I can always get back to the store...from this point of view I don't feel comfortable to buy on the net. So, it's going to be new...but still don't know which one :)

• Members

Both would be quite similar,imho. The Epiphone + plus top guitars, to me, are really a visual treat, the way the wood grain and figuring stands out on those is to me, kind of cool. I still wonder how logs and wood billets are sawn in order to make all the differences in top figured guitars. I broke the high E on my Epiphone, at the saddle a few times. I will eventually put graphtech saddles on it. But, If I had to chose just 1 of the 2, it would be a Gibson...well, just because, but both would, to me, be similar in playability, to me, maybe.

• Members

Buy used for your first guitar and take it to the shop for a setup. Chances are you'll want to try a couple of dozen guitars before you settle on a high dollar guitar because your taste in music changes allot in those first few years of playing. As you learn different music you may find the tones you want change with the music you prefer to play. Then when you do decide to buy new on something compare the resale value of that instrument when its used. Guitars are like new cars, they depreciate allot when you drive them off the lot. Some are cool enough to keep their value, some aren't worth a dime.

• Members

But seriously, if you are happy to play on a dark, muddy anchor that sometimes holds its tuning, I would suggest you buy the Epiphone if you have less money, then 'upgrgwde' the pickups, feel remorse, sell it, get the Gibson, then sell that, but three other Gibsons, sell those, then get a Squier and take the piss out of all the {censored}wits who play expensive guitars on HCEG while secretly wishing you had just kept the original Epiphone

• Members
Thank you. I've just found a shop in my district. Tomorrow I'll pay a visit to them to see what do they have on stock.

That's your best bet. Strum a few guitars and see how they feel when you hold them. Play them through an amp and see what sounds good. You may find that a Les Paul isn't for you. If you have a friend who plays, take him/her along. Be sure to budget enough to have the guitar "set up." It will make a world of difference in how easy the guitar is to play.

• Members

Based on the experience I had today in the store, I'll go for Epiphone LP Tribute Plus. Now I have to find a decent amplifier as (again based on today's experience:-)) the amplifier is even more important than the guitar.

• Members

That Tribute Plus was a great choice for your first guitar. The Gibson pickups make a big difference on an Epiphone and you are to be commended on buying the right one. Also, you won't have too much money wrapped up in it once the Fender Stratocaster comes on your radar :lol:.

I don't know where you are headed in terms of an amp, but I like the Fender Super Champ x2 (or a nice used XD) or the Vox VTX for a starter. A lot guys like the Mustangs but I am not a fan. My first amp was a Vox AD30VT from which I quickly moved up to AD50VT for the 12" Speaker. Some will tell you need tubes for tone, but at this stage of the game the SS/Tube hybrids do fine for home practice and have enough amp models and effects to make it interesting.

Archived