Counterfeit MIM Fender Strat?

DanGarrett

• Members

This may be a ridiculous question, but I was offered a MIM Strat in a trade but the guy doesn't seem to know much about it and I haven't seen this headstock before. My guess was 90s, but I'm not sure now that I can't find another headstock like it. Could it be counterfeit? Though that does sound silly, I've seen people try to pass Squiers off as Fenders. Thoughts? The guitar also has no serial number on the headstock (back or front).

Sorry for the horrible quality of the picture.

1i0sp2.jpg

• Members

I thought 90's MIM Strats had the serial number on the front. It wasn't until a few years ago they put the serial numbers on the back of MIM's. The MIM Strat that I bought in 2003 had the serial # on the front, just under Fender and says Made in Mexico under Stratocaster. Just do some serial # research on that guitar if there is a serial #.

• Members

He sent a clearer picture of the headstock and you can see where someone previously sanded off the serial number and made in mexico. There are still little dots of black ink and parts where you can tell some of the clear coat has been rubbed off. It was for a trade, so I don't think I'm going through with it.Thanks everyone!

Archived