Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of pickup did Eddie Van Halen use to get the sounds 1978-1984?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of pickup did Eddie Van Halen use to get the sounds 1978-1984?

These were his best sound period in my opinion. Not really a huge fan,but he had the biggest tone that a non-Gibson made during in that rock era.If I can find that pickup,and put in my Pacifica,I'd be a happy man.If I could play like Eddie,I'd be a lot happier,but that's another story. Anybody know which and what kind of pickups he was using back then?
    1997 Epiphone PR-350CE
    2000 MIM Fender Stratocaster
    2001 Washburn Bantamn bass
    19?? Takamine EGS-340SC
    ???? Yamaha APX-5NA
    2004 Squier Telecaster Standard
    2006 Regal RV-38 resonator
    2000 Cedar Creek Dulcimer
    2009 Stagg mandolin
    ......and more to come!

some humbucker that was halfway broken
    Member of the Mazi Bee Militia
    Current Guitar Gear - 03 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 03 Highway One Strat, 05 Taylor 210e, 1941 Gretsch Model 250, 2011 Fender Baja Tele, 2001 Martin 000-16GT
    Amps - '60 Ampeg Mercury M12, Marshall Class 5, Music Man 65 112
    FX - Fulltone OCD Version 2, Boss RC20 XL, Fulltone Clyde Wah, BBE Boosta Grande, EH Holy Grail Plus

Comment

I think I've read that he used an old Gibson pup

Cloudnine should know
      Hey, Cancer! **************** You!

Comment

Your typical PAF type of pickup.
        tlbonehead@yahoo.com
        www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
        -For Sale:
        -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
        -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
        - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
        - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
        - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

I think it was a PAF type, but it was broken - eddie said so himself in an interview in GP back in '91 or 2. Half the winding wasn't working right.
          Member of the Mazi Bee Militia
          Current Guitar Gear - 03 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 03 Highway One Strat, 05 Taylor 210e, 1941 Gretsch Model 250, 2011 Fender Baja Tele, 2001 Martin 000-16GT
          Amps - '60 Ampeg Mercury M12, Marshall Class 5, Music Man 65 112
          FX - Fulltone OCD Version 2, Boss RC20 XL, Fulltone Clyde Wah, BBE Boosta Grande, EH Holy Grail Plus

Comment

62 ES-335 bridge pickup
            MY GUITARS

Comment

Originally posted by hondro
              62 ES-335 bridge pickup

I heard 54 but I guess no one but him will know 100%, otherwise yeah I heard from a 335 too.

Nowadays people say the Seymour Duncan SH11 Custom Custom gets you closest. Though there's also the SD custom shop 78' EVH (Enhenced Voiced Harmonics or something like this...)
              Great deals with:
              Ancient Mariner, kpd8, Uncle Psychosis, ILoveYouMan, Jakkehx2, TheGareth, JBJx3

Comment

Originally posted by Pott

I heard 54 but I guess no one but him will know 100%, otherwise yeah I heard from a 335 too.

Nowadays people say the Seymour Duncan SH11 Custom Custom gets you closest. Though there's also the SD custom shop 78' EVH (Enhenced Voiced Harmonics or something like this...)

both the Humbucker(PAF) and the ES-335 wasn't available yet in '54

Comment

Eddie used a gibson PAF he took off a GIbson es-335. he dipped it in parrafin wax so that it won't squeal.

The Seymour duncan seth lover pickup sounds the closes to his original pickup in my opinion. the problem is, it doesn't come from the factory wax potted I believe. so you'll have to wax pot it somehow if you want to use it with high gain.

then he used a duncan 59' model on his kramer. it sounds like the seth lover but with more scooped mids.

eddie says he rewired the pickups by hand, but I think it's bull****************. if you rewire a pickup, it would be a totally different pickup. no use in even saying it was a gibson PAF.
                  boss dd-20
                  ibanez jem7vwh
                  ibanez js1000

Comment

Originally posted by marloni
                    eddie says he rewired the pickups by hand, but I think it's bull****************. if you rewire a pickup, it would be a totally different pickup. no use in even saying it was a gibson PAF.

You mean rewind right?
                    Great Deals With: Zhorellski, ZombieCat, MickTaylorFan, JC-TONEQUEST, ledvedder, StratAtak83, Dr.Picklebottom, 59vampire.

Comment

Originally posted by bryvincent

both the Humbucker(PAF) and the ES-335 wasn't available yet in '54

duh! if you're Eddie Van Halen, you just call up Michael J Fox and ask for a ride back to 1954

it was actually a 345, though - the donor guitar was featured at The Enchantment Under The Sea dance, with Marvin Berry

geez - it's like some of you people have absolutely no reading comprehension skills whatsoever - this dead horse topic has been beaten so much that, um, it's like it's dead
                      Hey, Cancer! **************** You!

Comment

Originally posted by LoFiBrian

You mean rewind right?

ah yes...
                        boss dd-20
                        ibanez jem7vwh
                        ibanez js1000

Comment

Originally posted by Pott

That was going to be my next question,I quess it depends on your ears and amp to get HIS sound.Other questions,what are other good pickups that produce a fat,punched sound? I heard the SD George Lynch Screamin Demon is supposed to be good,any others that you all may have tried?
                          1997 Epiphone PR-350CE
                          2000 MIM Fender Stratocaster
                          2001 Washburn Bantamn bass
                          19?? Takamine EGS-340SC
                          ???? Yamaha APX-5NA
                          2004 Squier Telecaster Standard
                          2006 Regal RV-38 resonator
                          2000 Cedar Creek Dulcimer
                          2009 Stagg mandolin
                          ......and more to come!

Comment

i don't think the custom custom sounds like VH. the seth lover and the 59' model is the closest. the secret to eddie's early sound.

lite ash body +maple neck + SD seth lover = early VH tone. or for his late 80's sound, use a 59' model. if it doesn't sound like it you can sue me
                            boss dd-20
                            ibanez jem7vwh
                            ibanez js1000

Comment

Originally posted by hondro
                              62 ES-335 bridge pickup

NECK pickup.
                              Guitars Canada - Guitar Forum for Canadians

Comment

Working...
                              X