No announcement yet.

will guitar center set up my guitar?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will guitar center set up my guitar?

I just bought a guitar from a local guitar store but they dont really have professional guitar techs. If I take it over to guitar center will they still set it up for me even though i didnt buy it there?

They will, if you pay them, but I wouldn't trust them. Not the guys at my GC anyway.
    Listen...

Comment

Yes. Will they overcharge you? Yes. I've heard of them charging 30-100 bucks to swap pickups (which is generally cutting and replacing two or three wires). Will they know what they're doing? Maybe, maybe not. All depends on who's working.
      Guitars:
      - Gibson Les Paul Standard '85
      - Fender MIJ '52 Esquire
      - 50s Homebuilt Tele
      - Baritone Tele

Basses:

- Rickenbacker 4001 '64
      - Gibson Grabber
      - Gibson G3

Amps:
      - Marshall 1965B
      - Peavey 2x10
      - Sunn 200S

Comment

Where do you live? If your town is big enough to have a GC, there's gotta be some actual luthiers/techs around, somewhere.
        Originally Posted by korky1958

And it's a suede vest, not a waistcoat.

Comment

No. They will send it to somebody to work on or at least that is what they told me several years ago.
          Good Deals: deeohgee

Comment

Depends on the location.
            MATAMP/SUNN/ORANGE/GIBSON/MARSHALL/BlackArtsToneworks
            http://www.orthodoxfuzz.com

Comment

No. They will send it to somebody to work on or at least that is what they told me several years ago.

I think some of them have techs now. I know mine does. GC is putting alot of smaller shops out of business, the techs gotta work somewhere.
              Listen...

Comment

Here's a pic of a GC tech practicing his setup skills....

Campbell UK-1
                http://www.campbellamerican.com/abou...erican_guitars

NEA Klon Klone
                https://www.facebook.com/NatickElectricalApparatus

Best Guitar Cable money can buy GUITARTEC REPAIR at Barnstorm Music 98 Main St. (Rt. 109) Medway, MA 401 352-4653

Comment

I just bought a guitar from a local guitar store but they dont really have professional guitar techs. If I take it over to guitar center will they still set it up for me even though i didnt buy it there?

What kind of guitar is it? It should already be set up from the factory. If you mean by "professional guitar tech" some idiot kid that works at Guitar Center then yes take it there, they have those.
                  "The fiddy tew reissue iss the bess thang Fenner ever did next tew buildin the first wons." -0le FUZZY

Comment

The real question is... would you want someone at GC to set up your guitar for you?
                    -h

Links:
                    -h vs pirates vs ninjas
                    -hazarai addict

My rig:
                    -2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Tobacco Burst -Korg Pitchblack -Fulltone OCD -Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano -Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai -Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 1x12
                    Other stuff I have:
                    -Flea Ukulele -Line 6 POD 2.0 -Roland Microcube -Boss PH-3

Comment

I just bought a Martin at my GC. They told me to pick out some strings. The guy told me THEY had to put them on, as their new policy would not allow them to just give away stuff anymore. I had to walk away as he was putting the new strings on. First, he cut all the old strings off at once (yikes) then, he restrung it in a way in which my brain could not compehend. I felt like I was watching someone do Chinese Algebra.
                      He also managed to tune the first string way to high, snapping it and hitting a nearby customer in the arm.
                      be honest......it's because I'm a monkey isn't it?

http://www.soundclick.com/JeffersonDouglas

Comment

My local GC has a legit guitar tech with the certifications to prove it. That being said, The $75 I payed for the guitar set up has inspired me to purchase a few tools from StewMac and do it myself next time. It didn't seem like brain surgery when I watched him do it.

Comment

I don't know about GC in general - mine has a small repair shop inside the GC building, though. Call 'em and ask?
                          Guitars
                          *Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
                          *Gibson SG Standard (stolen )
                          *Gibson Les Paul Standard (stolen )
                          Amps
                          * BlackSTAR(thanks Jkater) HT-5

I may have Gibsons, but I still

Comment

The real question is... would you want someone at GC to set up your guitar for you?

+100 and the winner is.........the above answer.

Seriously, it is hard enough to find a good tech and you surely don't want some unknown person touching your guitar - especially if it's an unknown person from GC. Find a good tech in your area!
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            anonymous HC review - "this amp produced a distorted sound that is most comparable to a frightened duck trying to quack its way out from an aluminum foil cage"

Comment

When I go into the Long & McQuades at 16th & Arbutus here in Vancouver, BC, there is usually a brand new guitar on the counter somewhere getting set up. With intonation and height adjustment for the strings and usually when I pick up any guitar they have in stock, it's already set up. The sales people at L&M's are all experienced musicians it seems, and they know how to do these two little things at least. I can do it myself as well although I admit that I'm nervous when it comes to truss rod adjustments.

For intonation and string height adjustments,...I gotta ask,..."What's the big deal?" Every guitar player should know how to do these two little things, at least.

Comment

Working...
                              X