Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many pieces of wood are sg fadeds?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many pieces of wood are sg fadeds?

I've heard many different stories. one I played LOOKED like 2 pieces but I'm not very good at telling things things sometimes. someone else might see 3.

the question is, how many pieces are they, and does the wood and number of pieces of wood differ from the SG standards?
    -
    Spam:
    FS: none
    I'm a GOLD TRADER
    Good deals: rusholmeruffian, rrancani, JohnnyRaincheck, mhn433, super56k, wagdog, cratz2, rxkid75, teletaylor
    Shamelessness: I do illustration & graphic design by commission, check my blogfolio: -- Matt White's Art --

Mine looks like 2 pieces. But I've seen a couple that were three.

Personally I care less about how many pieces vs how well they blend. Sometimes the difference in grain is shocking, looking like 1 piece of mahogany and one piece of a completely different wood.

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

Up to 5 from what I have read around various forums and searches. Reports indicate that earlier ones generally seem to have less pcs. In my travels I have seen them with up to 4.

Comment

Mine is 2 pieces, but the grain is so well matched you can only tell that from the back from one certain angle.
        Great deals: DammitJanet, Parrothd_Mark, Mueller, Blueshawk1, Leopardstar, D34dBaWx, vangkm, tincob, djfrank, DracoAran, drawdeep, eor, _pete_, Snoman97, prsnstrat, GuitarNoobie, Shawn Parr,TheSuperFox, Alley Trash, mikew, darkmonohue, GAS Man, tweedledee, asdfjkl semi, EllenGtrGrl, jdpkeeper, TattooedCarrot, maximuskatana, bluedevil0204, Gilgators, Mark Nason, GarysBlues, silverring233, Yavin, darkmonohue, Bluesman001, Stress Relief, bluesrock70's, yem, OsirisProtocol, Altgtr33, Rocktoe

Comment

I've been wondering about these Faded SGs. A pawn shop by me has a Faded SG, I believe it's a 2003 or 2004. It's in very good shape and I think it's one with an ebony fretboard. Doesn't have those crsecent moon-shaped inlays, but it looks very different than a rosewood fretboard, it's almost black looking. They have it for sale for $500 with a case. Did they make an ebony board Faded SG without those crescent moon inlays?

Good deal, just okay deal, or keep looking?
          Good Deals- machine gunner, DRPool, Urinate Forever

Comment

I've been wondering about these Faded SGs. A pawn shop by me has a Faded SG, I believe it's a 2003 or 2004. It's in very good shape and I think it's one with an ebony fretboard. Doesn't have those crsecent moon-shaped inlays, but it looks very different than a rosewood fretboard, it's almost black looking. They have it for sale for $500 with a case. Did they make an ebony board Faded SG without those crescent moon inlays?

Not that I know of. Maybe a former owner dyed it? A close inspection of the grain would prol' tell.

Does it come with a case? The price hike of Gibson brought the faded models up to around $899.00 with gig-bag, though some places like MF for example have recently kicked them down to a more reasonable $699.00.

$500 is a fair price (imo) for a clean original model.

Comment

That was a strange thing about the fretboard- I looked closely at it, and I really couldn't see any 'grain' like you see on a rosewood board. Just had that flat, kind of lead color that looked like ebony. I believe it was a 2003.

It did come with a case. If I can get him down to $400 it's a no-brainer, but $500 that seems like it's in regular CraigsList pricing.
              Good Deals- machine gunner, DRPool, Urinate Forever

Comment

I've heard many different stories. one I played LOOKED like 2 pieces but I'm not very good at telling things things sometimes. someone else might see 3.

the question is, how many pieces are they, and does the wood and number of pieces of wood differ from the SG standards?

current sg standards are 2 piece centre joined from what ive seen. the fadeds are 3 to 5 pieces.
                ---
                1959 is dead
                http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...4#post46436574
                ---

Comment

Mine is a 3 piece, but pretty well matched.
                  Member of the SG ARMY

rock n roll alliance with the mazi bee militia

Kickass forumite transactions: Thriftyshirt, DenverDave, SeeMoore, i51423, Guitarted, Darklord0424, L6Sguy, Kuato Lives, jmgruber X3, bennintexas, detunedman, vangkm, duderanimous X2, MrSandMan, theweight, 6StrngStrangler, Dead Skunk, olejason, RitalinCupcake, Used666 X2, Timmot, Dr. Scottie C, pfindeis

Comment

Mine is a 1 piece, but I have seen them up to 4.

Sometimes they are really badly matched too.
                    Live Rig:
                    Gretsch Tenny and Gibson SG Classic -> Some neat effects -> Peavey Classic 50 410 and/or Marshall JTM60 310
                    Need an exceptionally cheap sound guy in the general Western Pennsylvania area? PM Me.
                    Do you like Free Candy? Yeah? Then like my band!
                    Had a good trade/transaction/deal? Click here to tell HCEG about it!
                    Proud to be 1st Lieutenant in the SG Army Special Forces

Comment

so there's definitely more than just cosmetic differences between the faded and the standard? -- I guess that's what I was ultimately getting at.
                      -
                      Spam:
                      FS: none
                      I'm a GOLD TRADER
                      Good deals: rusholmeruffian, rrancani, JohnnyRaincheck, mhn433, super56k, wagdog, cratz2, rxkid75, teletaylor
                      Shamelessness: I do illustration & graphic design by commission, check my blogfolio: -- Matt White's Art --

Comment

Mine is 2 pieces, but the grain is so well matched you can only tell that from the back from one certain angle.

exact same here.

Comment

so there's definitely more than just cosmetic differences between the faded and the standard? -- I guess that's what I was ultimately getting at.

the faded special has a fatter neck I am told. to some that is a bad thing to me it is the best neck I have (well along with my G&L legacy). there is a youtube video comparing the standard to the faded, truthfully I like the faded sound quite a bit more. more opened and raw plus more vintigy. ">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Comment

Yea, there is. They feel alot different. My 06 standard was one piece.
                            MATAMP/SUNN/ORANGE/GIBSON/MARSHALL/BlackArtsToneworks
                            http://www.orthodoxfuzz.com

Comment

Not a bad price, its sounds like its either a late 03 or early 04. When they discontinued the moons they did put out some with ebony boards and dots. I had one a few years ago. My guess is they where using up what ebony boards theu had left from the moons. BTW my Faded's a 2 piece.

Comment

Working...
                              X