What Guitar Tools Do You Have?

carguy

• Members

Another forumite posted a thread about buying a guitar which might need a setup. Almost every guitar I've ever bought needed a setup to some degree - both acoustic and electric. What guitar related tools do have, if you do your own setups? Is there anything that you wish you had - such as fret leveling tools? What do you think the average guitar player ought to have to maintain his own instruments?

• Members

I'm the biggest tool I know.

Seriously, most of what I have was stuff already in my toolbox.

Screwdrivers, hex keys, wrenches, pliers, files and the like.

Electrical tools like multimeter, soldering iron and torch, wire, tape.

I use a lot of my woodworking tools as well when I'm doing finish/repair work.

Need to get some fine measuring tools though and more files.

• Members

I have a set of standard & metric allen keys, jewelers files, small screwdrivers, a 6 inch metal ruler that measures down to 64ths, hemostats, wire cutters, needle nose pliers, exacto knife, nail file, multi meter, soldering irons, tooth brush. I think that's all of it.

I do wish I had a set of nut files. I will be purchasing a set in the future.

• Members

Screwdrivers, hex keys, wrenches, pliers, files and the like.

Electrical tools like multimeter, soldering iron and torch, wire, tape.

I use a lot of my woodworking tools as well when I'm doing finish/repair work.

Need to get some fine measuring tools though and more files.

Throw in a Dremel and you're set.

Edit: {censored}!

• Members

Feeler gauges, allen keys for every guitar you own, a jewel set of screwdrivers. For modders a soldering iron is essential, and nut files if you're so inclined. Lastly I've recently discovered that a power winder for tuners is awesome for restringing. Got it as a free gift with a set of EBs. It sat in a drawer for a few months but I finally tried it and it's amazing!

• Members

Specifically sitting right next to me in the "Guitar Room"

- Feeler gages

- Wire Cutters

- Three Rulers - Two metal six inches that measure to 1/64" - Recently a Stew Mac Square multi ruler / action height rule

- Needle Nose Pliers

- Set of Hex Wrenches

- String Winder

- Eye Glass Screw Driver Set / Multi Mini Set

- Regular One In All / Multi Size Screw Driver Set

Use them all specifically for guitar set up - All my guitars have superb action adjusted specifically to my taste and spot on intonation:)

• Members

Ironically, I just got a fret crowning file in the mail 20 minutes ago. You asked if there was something I felt I was missing...this was it, BIG time. I'm so excited!

I have regular milibastard files, a billion allen wrenches, a really good tuner for setting intonation, lots of different grades of sandpaper, a ton of jeweler's screwdrivers (worth their weight in gold!), two soldering irons of different wattage, wire cutters, different types of needle nose pliers, a digital multitester, digital calipers (SO helpful!!) and my secret weapon: a porter cable buffer. That monster could take scratches out of a diamond!

Yea, I have pretty much all you mentioned, as well, but I have always had them, so I didn't consider them guitar tools... Definitely necessary... And, I figure everyone has a Dremel tool...

• Members

I have lots of wood working tools... Specific to guitars, I have:

.010 nut saw

.010 - .046 nut files

nut string spacing rule

notched fretboard straight edge

16" machined aluminum fret leveling beam

medium/wide 300 grit diamond fret crowning file

Is that one of the one's from stewmac? I have one of stewmacs and it's a bit awkward. Almost to big for the job. I've started using a small 6" bar instead.

• Members

I have everything I need except for a good straight edge.

The one stewmac is pricey but very nice. I use it all the time for fret work and setups. Using that, instead of measuring under a string, makes it easier to get a more accurate relief measurement.

• Members

Is that one of the one's from stewmac? I have one of stewmacs and it's a bit awkward. Almost to big for the job. I've started using a small 6" bar instead.

I got mine from fretguru.com for a bit less... I have no problem with the length... However, it is all I have used, and I am no luthier... I will say that I had a messed up neck from Warmoth, and it was nice to have the full 16 inches of leveler to really take the whole thing down uniformly... You can see immediately where the marker is sanded and not... The shorter the edge, the more it will follow an overall bow, even though it will level from each fret to the next, which may be desirable in some instances... So far, so good...

• Members

Did you get the diamond file crowning tool from Stew Mac? I got mine from a guy on eBay who is selling them for $38. That's a great price for that tool. I can't wait to try it out!

Yea, Stewmac... And, then I found a link for less the other day... However, no biggie... It works well, and I don't have to do much to smooth the frets, afterward... Much smoother than my friend's regular (not diamond) crowning file, which leaves more to sand... Well worth the investment... It's nice to be able to dial in your guitar...

• Members

I got mine from fretguru.com for a bit less... I have no problem with the length... However, it is all I have used, and I am no luthier... I will say that I had a messed up neck from Warmoth, and it was nice to have the full 16 inches of leveler to really take the whole thing down uniformly... You can see immediately where the marker is sanded and not... The shorter the edge, the more it will follow an overall bow, even though it will level from each fret to the next, which may be desirable in some instances... So far, so good...

I like the long leveler, mines just really heavy. I think mines steel though which is why it's so damn heavy. The lighter one's probably easier to handle. Maybe I'll pick up one of those. :thu:

• Members

Yea, Stewmac... And, then I found a link for less the other day... However, no biggie... It works well, and I don't have to do much to smooth the frets, afterward... Much smoother than my friend's regular (not diamond) crowning file, which leaves more to sand... Well worth the investment... It's nice to be able to dial in your guitar...

I have stewmac's too. Great tool!

If they don't need much crowning I just use sand paper, but the diamond file is great for knocking off the corners on frets with a big flat spot. That and all the frets end up with a uniform crown. I've had trouble getting uniform crowns when a lot of material needs to be removed to round over the tops. The half round file takes out the guess work there.

I wouldn't say it's essential to anyone reading this thread and wondering what to get, but it really is convenient to have.

Archived