No announcement yet.

retiring from live performance

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retiring from live performance

After 3years of hard work getting band from basement to the big stages.. I'm hanging it up. Focusing on my family, career and finishing my MSEE thesis research.

I know its the right thing to do but I'm still bummed out. I love playing to crowds and it will be an adjustment

Any tips from ex semi-pro players out there on how to go back to fill the void?

My last show is in February - that's how long my replacement needs to learn the tunes (80s hard rock/hair metal). Last few shows are gonna be emotional for me
    I love guitars!

I'm in a similar situation, our band just played their last gig (with me anyway) last night and I'm getting started on my actuarial job and I have to regularly pass very intense exams that require a big time commitment. On top of that I'm moving to a new city so I won't know any musicians.

I think it's ok. I mean, music isn't something that you have to apologize to for taking a break from. It's something we do for pleasure and passion, so you can always take out your guitar for your own enjoyment, and once you get your MSEE finished, you can think about starting a new band.

I would assume most of the people on this forum have to keep a day job so they can keep playing music and buying equipment. At least you're walking away while you still love it. It'll still be there when you need it again.
    disconnected by your smile

Comment

I made a similar decision when I started grad school. I fill the void with home recording - it is a whole new world of music and I've enjoyed it greatly.
      http://www.reverbnation.com/davidandthetinydaggers
      http://www.guitarfugue.com/
      http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=913992
      http://www.myspace.com/davidandthetinydaggers

member of the G&L Militia

Comment

no ****************, really? let me first say, i respect your decision and agree that things like family should be prioritized higher than running a band.

but i'm sincerely going to miss reading your gig reports and seeing pics of shows you've just played.

how to fill the void? prior to welcoming our son (now almost two) into the world, i was gigging regularly. i put all of that on hold once we got closer to his due date for many of the reasons i'm sure you're confronting now. since then, i've been subbing in local bands and regional acts when there's a need for a stand-in, playing a few charity benefits and experimenting with a lot of different local musicians through various recording projects. it's frustrating and liberating, both at the same time. but the important thing is that i'm still playing while i'm focusing on my family. my wife (and best friend) appreciates it. my beautiful son appreciates it. my newborn daughter will soon come to appreciate it. and that's worth more than a regular gigging life any day, in my opinion.

now you'll have some free weekends to take a drive down to my neck of the woods with the family and a few guitars. the ladies can get acquainted and we can get lost in some gear. you in?
        INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

I have always loved music in one way or another. As soon as I realized the fulfillment of having an original song fleshed out and recorded I really didn't care for performing live much at all though people still wanted the live performances. I dislike the hauling gear and the set up/tear down aspect and a studio can be more or less left mostly intact.

So...I guess what I am saying is what David just said but probably for different reason(s) and not an aspect that you would have in common as you seem to really enjoy the live show part of it.
          President and CEO of The Foundation Of Right
          Also President and CEO of The Foundation Of Wrong

Originally Posted by StankNasty

the dream isn't in your parents' basement

Comment

After 3years of hard work getting band from basement to the big stages.. I'm hanging it up. Focusing on my family, career and finishing my MSEE thesis research.

I know its the right thing to do but I'm still bummed out. I love playing to crowds and it will be an adjustment

Any tips from ex semi-pro players out there on how to go back to fill the void?

My last show is in February - that's how long my replacement needs to learn the tunes (80s hard rock/hair metal). Last few shows are gonna be emotional for me

how old are you? Why not just go with the idea that it has to be put on the backburner for now because other things are a priority and leave the idea open that you can still gig sometime in the future?
            tlbonehead@yahoo.com
            www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
            -For Sale:
            -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
            -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
            - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
            - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
            - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Sorry to hear it but you have to do what's important in your life.

That said, you'll be back on a stage again at some point in the future. Once it's in your blood it never lets go.
              I played live for most of my early years then stopped in 1988.
              In 2005 I started again and I'm glad I did.
              My Guitars

PRS Singlecut
              PRS CE24 w/ piezo
              Floyd LP
              Fender Stratocaster
              Lucero classical
              Yamaha FG312 12 string

Comment

I too respect your decision. I gave up the band thing a couple years back just before my daughter was born. I decided that concentrating on my career and spending my free time watching her grow up was more important to me. I'm just now starting to get back into playing again, same as Ben, by jamming, sitting in on friend's gigs and the like.

You can always get back into gigging. If it's in your blood like it is in mine (and I think it probably is) you will. In the meantime, enjoy the time with your family, and best of luck with everything else!

Comment

I did the band thing in high school about 400+ gigs. Got out in 1970 to do the wife/family/career/life thing. After kids left home, got back in a band (2000-2008- did gigs 3-4 times a month. Then had to change careers, so no band from 2008 until present. Work schedule will not permit. May get a bid job in may/june 2011, which will allow to do weekend gigs. My old band will let me return. Moral of the story....don't give up, and don't sell your gear.

Comment

I'm closing in on 59 years.....I 'left the stage' a long time ago.

....leave the idea open that you can still gig sometime in the future.....
                    Leonard Scaper

Comment

Sorry to hear it but you have to do what's important in your life.

That said, you'll be back on a stage again at some point in the future. Once it's in your blood it never lets go.
                      I played live for most of my early years then stopped in 1988.
                      In 2005 I started again and I'm glad I did.
                      Yep I quit from about '84-93 to play sports. Been gigging fairly regularly since then.
                      tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                      www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                      -For Sale:
                      -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                      -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                      - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                      - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                      - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Your need for music will not abandon you, but it may well slip into the back seat for a while. Let your music evolve. Set yourself up with a nice home studio and keep honing your skills so that you can.....

Well said. I have evolved far more as a player during my post-gigging years. Rather than learning songs, rehearsing, and going through the motions at bars, I have had the luxury of focusing on the instrument, my approach to it, and finding my own voice. Plus I got a PhD along the way

All in all it was worth it
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/davidandthetinydaggers
                        http://www.guitarfugue.com/
                        http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=913992
                        http://www.myspace.com/davidandthetinydaggers

member of the G&L Militia

Comment

You can always just join a local bar band. You'd still be on stage.

Comment

sorry to hear man.

Comment

all this talk about grad school, its all ive been thinking about these past few months. i graduate with my bachelors in 3 weeks. in applied engineering: electronics, pretty much like yours mario.
                              Gibsons: 85 LP Studio, Goth Explorer, MM RI
                              Fender HWY1 Strat, Fernandes Gravity Bass, Gretsch Americana

1965 Ampeg Reverb-o-rocket, Rivera Knucklehead II, 1973 Traynor Mark 3, Fender BXR 100

TC Tuner >CMATmods Signa Drive >Home made MXR Envelope Filter Clone >Ibanez DE7

Good deals : mudder1310, dcindc, wrathchild1, jkeeney1, 9-Pin-Phoenix, Shredtilurded, loudog99, boonestunes, diceman1000, StratsRule07, teletaylor, badshawn6060, oneshowmaster, Vaya121, Clapton is God

Comment

Working...
                              X