X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox VT20+ vs. Fender Mustang

Hey guys,

So i need a new modelling amp. And for a while i was set on buying a Vox VT 20+ amp however i have heard some great things about the Fender Mustang series.

Can anyone give me a breakdown of what the two biggest differences between the two amps are? I had an older version of the Vox Vt series and loved the heavy distorted tones, would i be able to get those on the Fender?
    Originally posted by fu2jobu"1999 was all about me wanting to find Lou Bega and giving him a few good bitch slaps. "FS/FT - LTD Mirage guitar with EMG pickups. (MIJ)http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/FS-FT-LTD-Mirage-guitar-emg-pickups/m-p/36167161/highlight/false#M290782

Not sure about the heavy tones on the little Mustang I, but the Mustang II impressed the heck out of me for the heavy tones.

I haven't spent much time with the + series Voxes, but I have a Tonelab and had an and AD and a VT series amp. Basically, I'd say the Fender (II) is better at heavy tones and Fender tones and the Vox is better at Vox tones and early/less gainy Marshall tones. The Fender KILLS in the effects department.
    Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

I'm not sure distorted tones are the Mustang's sweet spot, but you can get some useable tones from it on that end of the spectrum.
      No sig.

Comment

These videos will help. They demo the Mustang II and the Vox VT40+ (close enough). If I recall correctly, they only use the factory presets on the Vox, which isn't really fair, but it's still a good comparison of the amps. The Mustang is in the first video, and the Vox in the second.

**edit - these guys prefer the Mustang.
        Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

As long as it's the MII and not the M1, the Mustang is better than the Vox IMO (and I have had variations of both).
          This used to be a great place. Thanks, GCI, for killing it.See y'all at Wein's.

Comment

I don't know about the Vox, Mustang 1 or 2..... but the Mustang 3 is amazing for $299 retail.

Comment

I prefer the Mustang to the Vox. Tried them both out the other day in our local music store. The Vox sounded boxy in comparison. Probably had to do with a 10inch speaker vs a 12inch.
              One MIA Fender Strat, one Gibson Les Paul, one Martin Acoustic, what more do you need?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...ps92b32f13.gif

Comment

Working...
              X