Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth investing in expensive guitars?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth investing in expensive guitars?

This is probably a really stupid question... but lately I've just keep finding myself trying out moderately priced guitar (~$400~800) and higher end guitars (~$1000~$2000) and honestly, I can't really see the point of investing in an expensive guitar especially when playing metal in a live mix.

Everything I play, they sound really different on the clean channel but once you start running high gain (my amp's gain is usually on 5 or less so I don't get washed out) then add another guitar player , then add in the bass player, then add the drums, the difference of the starting guitar all tend to sound the same at the end result when playing through the same amp.

Invest in silver and gold bullion , not guitars.

Comment

This is a question that must be answered on an individual level.

I have no need for resale value because I hope to never sell a guitar therefore I just buy and play the ones I fall in love with. Other people buy them with the intent of them holding a high resale value for several reasons but that mentality just never stuck with me. I don't think either position is more valid than the other but it truly does just come down to a personal choice.

Comment

I care about quality. I want high quality and I notice a difference between high quality and mid quality. In my experience if you want high quality it will usually come at a price.

Comment

Financially, hell no. As a tool you will enjoy for years, yes.

Oh, and if the genre of music you play requires your instrument to sound like a generic swarm of angry bees - maybe you should branch out in other directions?

Comment

Buy what your comfortable with and feels at home under the hand. There are a lot of good players out there for short change.
            And you are correct, if your playing high gain head banging Wookie music, the subtle nuances and sweeter tones of higher grade electronics and select tone woods will get lost in the mix.
            My Name is Tom Pettingill ... I build Hand Crafted Custom Lap Steel Guitars
            http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn87/tompettingill

Comment

I do not personally buy guitars as an investment, but I do play on guitars in the 3.5K-4K range, out live.
              I have always enjoyed what these instruments offer over lower priced ones. However, as stated above, this is a personal opinion and an individual matter only.

In order to know whether or not it is worth the money, only you can judge that for yourself, by seriously looking at these guitars, playing them and comparing them against what you currently enjoy playing on.

What I have found are some subtle and some not-so-subtle differences, but that is a judgement which can only be made between the guitars you choose as a comparison. Also, you need to know what you are looking for in each guitar as part of that comparison. If you do not know, then the money is better saved for something else you desire.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Two of the nicest gentlemen, and most talented people: Mssr's Diezel and Krampe. <br />
              Je préfèrerais mourir sans un sou dans une rue en Europe que de vivre en Amérique sous l'administration actuelle. Alizée est la meilleure. Vous, les princesses pop américaines, n'avez aucun talent, aucune classe, et vous sonnez comme de la merde. Sarkozy et le reste de l'Europe se moquent de notre président dans son dos.</div>

Comment

"... if you play loud enough, all guitars start to sound the same." -- Johnny Ramone

Comment

I have a ****************load of guitars, and you know what...

When the markets take a dive, no one comes into my house and takes away half my guitars.

How's your 401k doing lately?

NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

I dont invest in my guitars, I invest in my enjoyment. Just buy what you like, no need to justify it, doesnt matter how much or how little it cost.

Comment

Man i :love: me some finely crafted music instruments. After getting my R7, all my epi's, my hondo, and my MIM's felt like toys.

/gear snob

So yeah, the problem with this is its hard for me to pick up those other guitars. Also, as you would expect, I baby the **************** out of my R7 and probably would have a hard time taking it to play a live show.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><u>Amps-</u><br />
                      '82 Marshall JCM 800 2204 <br />
                      CeriaTone 18w TMB clone<br />
                      Marshall JTM45 RI <br />
                      Class 5 combo with G10 Gold Alnico <br />
                      '63 RI Fender tube reverb unit<br />
                      '66 Fender vibro-champ <br />
                      <br />
                      <u>Cabs-</u><br />
                      1960A, 1961A, 1961B, 1966B, VS412 <br />
                      <br />
                      <u>Guitars-</u><br />
                      80's Jackson Strat Custom shop <br />
                      Gibson VOS Les Paul R7 Gold top<br />
                      Gibson SG Standard Natural burst<br />
                      Fender '72 Tele Deluxe RI<br />
                      Epi '56 gold top<br />
                      </font></div>

Comment

Need versus want. I'll always want a Gibson R9 or Black Beauty, but I only need an Epi '56 Goldtop. I'd love an Eric Johnson Strat, but I only need a MIM. PRS Private stock would be awesome, but my SE Soap Bar is a player.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">Must...buy...guitars. Will strong....body weak!</div><br><br><div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Take your wands out, both of you.&quot; -- Hermione Granger</div>

Comment

Need versus want. I'll always want a Gibson R9 or Black Beauty, but I only need an Epi '56 Goldtop. I'd love an Eric Johnson Strat, but I only need a MIM. PRS Private stock would be awesome, but my SE Soap Bar is a player.

i agree with this.

I have a Epi 56 goldtop and it is a great.

A new R6 is what like 3,700 bucks?

(hypothetical) If you have that kind of money laying around,

you gotta ask yourself something like, is that R6 really 3200 dollars better than the epi?

to a fanatic, probably yes. If you arent that fanatical about guitars, then you will have that 3000+ bucks to spend on something else, like an RV or a boat.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><u>Amps-</u><br />
                          '82 Marshall JCM 800 2204 <br />
                          CeriaTone 18w TMB clone<br />
                          Marshall JTM45 RI <br />
                          Class 5 combo with G10 Gold Alnico <br />
                          '63 RI Fender tube reverb unit<br />
                          '66 Fender vibro-champ <br />
                          <br />
                          <u>Cabs-</u><br />
                          1960A, 1961A, 1961B, 1966B, VS412 <br />
                          <br />
                          <u>Guitars-</u><br />
                          80's Jackson Strat Custom shop <br />
                          Gibson VOS Les Paul R7 Gold top<br />
                          Gibson SG Standard Natural burst<br />
                          Fender '72 Tele Deluxe RI<br />
                          Epi '56 gold top<br />
                          </font></div>

Comment

I have a ****************load of guitars, and you know what...

When the markets take a dive, no one comes into my house and takes away half my guitars.

How's your 401k doing lately?

you think your guitars are going to appreciate?

Good luck with that.

Comment

This is probably a really stupid question... but lately I've just keep finding myself trying out moderately priced guitar (~$400~800) and higher end guitars (~$1000~$2000) and honestly, I can't really see the point of investing in an expensive guitar especially when playing metal in a live mix.

Everything I play, they sound really different on the clean channel but once you start running high gain (my amp's gain is usually on 5 or less so I don't get washed out) then add another guitar player , then add in the bass player, then add the drums, the difference of the starting guitar all tend to sound the same at the end result when playing through the same amp.

It all depends. Are you into investing or playing?

By your post, I gather you have the budget for whichever one you want, so buy whichever feels, plays and sounds best to you, regardless of the price or brand. Quality isn't in the price or brand. Quality resides in the satisfaction the guitar gives to you as a player. That's really all that matters. If you want to play instead of invest, I wouldn't worry about the resale vale either.

Although you're playing high gain now, you do notice differences on clean settings so I'd say base your choice on that. You never know, you might be playing different styles later on. Most of all, don't sweat it. Guitar hunting id fun. Take your time, the guitars aren't going anywhere and enjoy the ride.

:thu:

Comment

Working...
                              X