anybody else feel silly playing a bass? (advice)

StevenJM

• Members

I'm going to be filling in on bass for a few shows coming up, for a band that my buddy is in.

everytime i play a bass I feel like i'm wearing clown shoes or something because its so freekin' big.

I should've gotten a short scale bass...

Anyways, I've only owned a bass for a little over a month, after playing guitar for around 10 years. My hand/wrist isn't used to having to pluck such thick strings and I can feel it cramping up after a while... anybody else deal with cramp problems and know some tricks around it? like weird hand stretches or anything?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As someone who regularly plays both bass and guitar, I'd say get used to the 34" scale and don't worry about shredding right at first. Hell, play the roots on the downbeat and you'll sound like a genius! Once you're a little more comfortable you can start worrying about inversions and playing actual lines but keep it simple while you get your stamina up. No bassist ever got kicked off the bandstand for playing too little.

Another piece of advice is to turn up the volume and use a lighter attack. Let the amp do the work.

• Members

my bass player looks pretty hot when she plays.

animated gif i made of her from a series of photos from a show a while back:

1264855762.gif

(and yes, that's my goofy lookin ass behind her)

Yeah, that is one goofy-lookin' ass! :lol:

I think it's funny that every female bassist I know plays a Fender Jazz, including the missus. I guess they must really like the smoother tone or the skinnier neck.

An old shot of my wife with her Fodera Jazz copy.

hsf4.jpg

• Members

As someone who regularly plays both bass and guitar, I'd say get used to the 34" scale and don't worry about shredding right at first. Hell, play the roots on the downbeat and you'll sound like a genius! Once you're a little more comfortable you can start worrying about inversions and playing actual lines but keep it simple while you get your stamina up. No bassist ever got kicked off the bandstand for playing too little.

Another piece of advice is to turn up the volume and use a lighter attack. Let the amp do the work.

I second all of this. If you aren't entirely comfortable on the bass, keep it simple and remember-less is more. Also, although it hasn't come up, don't get hung up on whether you should play with your fingers or a pick, do whatever feels best...

• Members

Yeah, that is one goofy-lookin' ass!
:lol:

I think it's funny that every female bassist I know plays a Fender Jazz, including the missus. I guess they must really like the smoother tone or the skinnier neck.

An old shot of my wife with her Fodera Jazz copy.

hsf4.jpg

kim_deal_pixies_im_amazed.jpg

Kim Deal plays a P-Bass!

TinaWeymouth.jpg

Tina Weymouth used to play whatever, but I liked her best on Mustang Bass.

tumblr_lit1vj6JXT1qgqw54o1_500.jpg

Kim Gordon often played a Thunderbird bigger than her.

My female bassist plays a MusicMan normally, but she plays a Mustang Bass around me since I have them. Anyway I don't see why you should struggle on a 34" bass if a 30" bass fits you better. Jack Bruce, Paul McCartney, Stanley Clarke, Bill Wyman, they've all spent quality time on 30-31" scale basses and that's for all the people say that they're not real basses.

• Members

Anyways, I've only owned a bass for a little over a month, after playing guitar for around 10 years. My hand/wrist isn't used to having to pluck such thick strings and I can feel it cramping up after a while... anybody else deal with cramp problems and know some tricks around it? like weird hand stretches or anything?

Finger exercises with a metronome and scales.

• Members

I dunno if it fits your sound, but I went to flatwounds about six years ago and never looked back. It's much easier on the fingers, and gives any bass a cool vintage tone.

Flats are the best, especially if you play with a pick. It gets that really hollow sound that has amazing bottom. It's great with fingers, too, but pick + flats gives me the tone I like.

• Members

the bass player in my band uses flat wounds. the strings are a lot easier on your fingers. and I really dig that vintage sound you get from them.

I like how this thread has turned into a thread about female bass players :)

I always like it when threads take on lives of their own though.

• Members

What's helped me as a guitarist that moonlights on bass:

I don't use a pick. It kind of forces me to get into bass player mode, so I'm not playing the same crap an octave down.

Remember for playing bass, less is more. At first anyway. Learn to play in the pocket, and remember you are in rhythm section. Once you get the feel, you can start branching out, maybe even soloing once in a while.

Those sound silly, but as a guitarist you fit into this hole in an ensemble, and you get used to it. It's easy to forget the bass is an entirely different instrument all together.

And also. Love the lady bassists. Love lady musicians in general, but bassists? Yes please.

• Members

I don't use a pick. It kind of forces me to get into bass player mode, so I'm not playing the same crap an octave down.

Remember for playing bass, less is more. At first anyway. Learn to play in the pocket, and remember you are in rhythm section. Once you get the feel, you can start branching out, maybe even soloing once in a while.

Those sound silly, but as a guitarist you fit into this hole in an ensemble, and you get used to it. It's easy to forget the bass is an entirely different instrument all together.

All this is worth repeating. While the whole "real bassists don't use a pick" attitude is complete crap, playing with your fingers does force you to play less and make every note count. That's a good attitude to take when you're first learning the instrument.

• Members
A 30" bass is handy as an alternate instrument but none of those bassists stayed with a short scale for their entire careers. I'd still recommend working with a 34" scale because that generates the classic sound.

Jack Bruce certainly used a 30" bass with Cream, I'm not sure if he still plays one. Paul McCartney has definitely stuck with his violin bass, you could say that for him, his Rick has been his alternate instrument. As for Stanley Clarke, I have never seen him playing a full scale electric bass.

• Members

Jack Bruce certainly used a 30" bass with Cream, I'm not sure if he still plays one. Paul McCartney has definitely stuck with his violin bass, you could say that for him, his Rick has been his alternate instrument. As for Stanley Clarke, I have never seen him playing a full scale electric bass.

Jack Bruce's Warwick signature bass has a 34" scale. Paul McCartney did use his H

• Members

I'm just saying, a lot of these people have had great fame while appearing on stage and in the studio with short scale basses, so don't classify them as "alternate instruments." And what does "generates the classic sound" mean? Does it get more classic than "Michelle," "Sunshine of Your Love," or "Psycho Killer"? It's not like anybody listened to those songs and went, eww, listen to that {censored}ty short scale bass.

I think short scale basses are highly underrated and if bassists played them more, instead of acting like there's something magical about the number 34" or spreading some stigma about short scale basses, they'd realize that short scales are great for a lot of things. You can bend effortlessly on them (read: extreme vibrato opportunities) and the tone is darker and more relaxed, but at the same time, the difference is not that obvious and easily made up for in EQ.

There are a lot of {censored}ty starter basses out there, and I'd imagine some of them are short scale, but there are a lot of great short scale basses out there, just like there are a lot of good and bad 34" scale basses. You just have to find one you like that gives you the tone you want. Some people's fingers will just like 30" scale better. At that point, find the best short scale you can find, put the best strings and pickups money can buy on them, and just play. You should be comfortable when you play. Purposefully forcing yourself to adapt to 34" scale not because you prefer the feel, but because that's what "real bassists" play, that's silly.

• Members

flats ftw. I had black nylon covered flats on an all black bass.............in the day

Play whatever the hell scale you are comfortable with and that suits what you play and your style, hand size, spread vs slide, etc etc- its not an big issue.

Its not like chicks are going to walk away because you only have 30 inches.

Archived