No announcement yet.

Vantage Guitars

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vantage Guitars

I've always thought used was a better deal. Lotsa people here tout their cheap guitars but I've yet to see a Vantage owner. These are smokin' guitars and seem to be an undiscovered goldmine. Many models have beautiful neck thru bodies or set neck LPs. I used to own a nice highend VS series with a brass nut , saddle and bridge. Gave it to my bro-inlaw 20 years ago and he still has it. A nice matsumoku made VS from the late '70s or early '80s goes for about $300-$350. There are some beauties on Ebay right now. So why aren't you guys all over these things?
    Originally Posted by Puckman

I'd have to put "Goo" in there first, personally.

Oh yeah, definitely great stuff!

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/vantage/catalogs.html
    -- Rainer

My Guitars (Updated 2011/07/02) • Schecter Society • Yamaholic • Reverend Congregation
    G&L Militia • Captain in the SG Army in Rock 'N' Roll alliance with the Mazi Bee Militia
    Beware of my Teutonic Terror

Comment

I have a Vantage 635 (335 copy.) Played one in a store and started searching for one on eBay. I found one after a few months. Like an idiot I sold it. But I found another just last year. It is indeed a great guitar. The pickups are especially interesting on this guitar - They sound a lot like unpotted Seth Lovers but with a lot more bass like the '57 Classics. So the bass is a little "floppy" but the high end makes up for it.

The ones I have experience with were made in Korea by Samick. The Japanese ones go for quite a lot more. But I like the Samick ones just fine. In fact, Samick also made a 335 copy under their own label which should be as nice as the Vantage. I have two Samicks right now.

Funny thing about the 635 I have now: It has a label that says "Vantage Epiphone." I guess it's also exactly the same body as the Epiphone.

Comment

I tried to talk a buddy out of an old Vantage Flying V a couple years ago - had no electronics and was missing most of the hardware, but it was a good body and neck

couldn't get him to let go, and I bet it's still sitting in the corner by the tv collecting dust
        Originally Posted by metalheadUK

If people stop killing and hurting each other, I wont buy any more LP copies....deal?

Comment

I've always thought used was a better deal. Lotsa people here tout their cheap guitars but I've yet to see a Vantage owner. These are smokin' guitars and seem to be an undiscovered goldmine. Many models have beautiful neck thru bodies or set neck LPs. I used to own a nice highend VS series with a brass nut , saddle and bridge. Gave it to my bro-inlaw 20 years ago and he still has it. A nice matsumoku made VS from the late '70s or early '80s goes for about $300-$350. There are some beauties on Ebay right now. So why aren't you guys all over these things?

"Uncle Mat" is your friend I used to be all over those kinds of MIJ Matsumoku guitars when they were going for $50-$150 a pop. I have had my share. I talk about them now as little as possible because the price just seems to keep climbing as time goes on.

Comment

I still have my Vantage fretless bass form '82. Sounds and plays great but it's really friggin' neck heavy. A 4 inch leather strap helps a lot.

My guitar was well balanced.

Comment

I have an old Vantage acoustic and she is a great player. Fantastic tone

- 50's Style Relic Stratocaster
              - 60's Style Relic Stratocaster
              - 50's Fender CIJ Telecaster w/ Bigsby
              - Custom Telecaster
              - Fender MIM Stratocaster
              - Voodoo Telecaster
              - Yamaha FG Jr

- Fender Blues Deluxe
              - Ibanez UE300> Fulltone OCD>Singing Tree Boost>Vox V847>Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz

Comment

"Uncle Mat" is your friend I used to be all over those kinds of MIJ Matsumoku guitars when they were going for $50-$150 a pop. I have had my share. I talk about them now as little as possible because the price just seems to keep climbing as time goes on.

Please don't read this thread.

Comment

Please don't read this thread.

Too late

Comment

I have 3 Matt's, they are great, and I was picking them up for @ $100, I have AV-330MX, AV325, X-77, 1st & 3rd all original, 2nd moded, but the ones mentioned are really nice. I was considering collecting them but then the prices started going up, I watched one on ebay go for $730, think it was a VS performer series. I thought I was the only one in on this secret back then but NOT!! Great stuff. Thanks for bringing in a Vantage thread.
                    !!!!!!!!!!!NOW 100% DIGITAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Had one in the day... about around 1993. A 335 copy in natural color. It was OK but nothing to write home about. A value on par with the cost I would say.
                      LearnTheUkulele.com * SongwritingCircle.com * MojoCaster.com * GuitarVideoReviews.com * ThreeChordGuitar.com Listen to my music at www.UkenSmile.com!Now on twitter: @MojoCaster - offering private lessons via Skype

Comment

I watched one on ebay go for $730, think it was a VS performer series.

****************. I wonder if my brother inlaw would take $200.

Comment

A Vantage Avenger was literally my first electric guitar...got it from my parents on Christmas morning when I was 10.

It was a MIJ model, and had a single splittable humbucker, and a great, great maple neck. 25+ years later, it's still an excellent guitar...

FWIW, I'm surprised more people haven't heard of Vantage , either. They blew away what Ibanez was offering at the time...

Comment

Vantage, Electra, Westone, Skylark, old Washburns

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/models.html
                            -- Rainer

My Guitars (Updated 2011/07/02) • Schecter Society • Yamaholic • Reverend Congregation
                            G&L Militia • Captain in the SG Army in Rock 'N' Roll alliance with the Mazi Bee Militia
                            Beware of my Teutonic Terror

Comment

Here's what I'm talkin' about. This thing went for $228 on Ebay a few weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X