Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having a tailpiece with fine tuners !!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a tailpiece with fine tuners !!!!

I finally got my Schaller tailpiece with fine tuner on my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, it makes life so easy when it comes to playing and tuning while playing.

The tail piece sure added more sustain and "thump" to the lower frequencies and the highs seem to have more defined snap. I'm going to add a brass nut next
    Guns don't kill people .... Fathers with beautiful Daughters do !!!!

What is the point? Fine tuners make sense when you have a locking nut, but without?

Comment

I've been considering getting one of these for My les Paul.

Should make any on the fly tunning needs much easier Live.

Is it one of these?

Gibson TP-6

Mesa Boogie MK III
      Marshall DSL 50
      JCA 20H
      ADA MP-1

Kramer Stagemaster
      Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus
      Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogony
      Fender HM Strat
      Paul Reed Smith SE Custom

Comment

Since being sucked into the cult of Floyd Rose, these make sense to me. I wonder what dragging the wound strings over the saddles over and over will do?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by grawnday
          View Post

Since being sucked into the cult of Floyd Rose, these make sense to me. I wonder what dragging the wound strings over the saddles over and over will do?

Shouldn't do much; the bottom of the string beds on the saddle(s) should be smooth.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by PrawnHeed
            View Post

What is the point? Fine tuners make sense when you have a locking nut, but without?

I put a TP-6 on my Gibson S-1 shortly after buying it in '78 because the tuners were so incredibly bad. No problems with the nut. The stock tuners are crap, and that's why you see these Norlin-era guitars equipped with different tuners. Having the fine tuning tailpiece makes it much easier to live with, faster to tune accurately.
            SPAM: Buy my eBook, "Beginning Electric Guitar Design". $4.99 and available at:
            Lulu Edition
            Kindle Edition
            iTunes iBookstore
            Nook Edition

Comment

I would kill for a fine tuning tailpiece that fit my guitar. I have a Greco, and the tailpiece is some weird japanese dimension that didn't fit the gibson TP6 that I bought for it. After using a floyd on every guitar I've had up until that one, I find tuning by just the tuners on the headstock to be practically barbaric. Every turn of the tuner is so imprecise and inelegant, I hate using them and am constantly disappointed by the length of time it takes me to get little adjustments on my tuning
              My band: STOP BREATHING

Comment

Can you just use the existing posts on a les paul, and just slide in the TP-6?
                Mesa Boogie MK III
                Marshall DSL 50
                JCA 20H
                ADA MP-1

Kramer Stagemaster
                Fender HM Strat

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by PrawnHeed
                  View Post

Been wondering the same thing.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Faber
                    View Post

Been wondering the same thing.

See second sentence in post #3

See last sentence in post #6

See Third sentence in post #7
                    Mesa Boogie MK III
                    Marshall DSL 50
                    JCA 20H
                    ADA MP-1

Kramer Stagemaster
                    Fender HM Strat

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mesa/Kramer
                      View Post

See second sentence in post #3

See last sentence in post #6

See Third sentence in post #7

I can see the reasons why someone might like to have it, but I was wondering whether there was any functional reason for having them that I was missing rather than "just" preferences.

Not that preferences isn't enough

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Mesa/Kramer
                        View Post

I've been considering getting one of these for My les Paul.

Should make any on the fly tunning needs much easier Live.

Is it one of these?

Gibson TP-6

I got both of those Schallers : A gold one on my 2007 Epi Les Paul Custom and a chrome on on my 1971 Medallion series Gibson "Flying V". The Floyd Rose has made me love those fine tuners

Comment

Gibson offered these in the 80's and they were well received. It's convenient to play a chord & adjust the offending string without stopping. The best I can tell, it doesn't change sustain. Schaller makes great hardware.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraworld
                            View Post

Gibson offered these in the 80's and they were well received. It's convenient to play a chord & adjust the offending string without stopping. The best I can tell, it doesn't change sustain. Schaller makes great hardware.

I noticed the huge difference in both my "V" and L.P. Custom. When I bought the chrome one for my "V" back in 1997, I just replaced the posts that original came on the Gibson "V". On my Epi Les Paul Custom, I had to replace the the body mount, the posts to slide the Schaller bridge . I'm happy now !!!!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Faber
                              View Post

I can see the reasons why someone might like to have it, but I was wondering whether there was any functional reason for having them that I was missing rather than "just" preferences.

Not that preferences isn't enough

Its a 2 inch reach to tweak your tuning with your right hand while holding a chord with your left, rather than a 2+ foot reach. That's pretty much it.

Comment

Working...
                              X