X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup suggestions for a Gibson Faded SG

Looking to replace the pickups. I play classic rock, hard rock, jazz, country, and worship. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks Frank
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Guitars: Gibson V, Les Paul, SG, Gospel Acoustic<br />
    Godin SD<br />
    Musicman Sterling Bass<br />
    Seagull Entourage<br />
    Guild 12 string<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Amps: Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber<br />
    Fender Roc-Pro 1000, M-80 Chorus 2 x 12<br />
    Vox AD50VT<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Check out <a href="http://www.bandofwaxx.com" target="_blank">www.bandofwaxx.com</a><br />
    <a href="http://www.fabulousmurphtones.com" target="_blank">www.fabulousmurphtones.com</a><br />
    <br />
    Find both bands on Facebook</div>

Bg buckers
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font face="Arial Black">proud member EPIPHONE EMPIRE</font><br />
    --Epiphone Elitist les paul plain top with Kahler, Planet waves locking tuners.<br />
    --Carvin ls175 kahler steeler dimarzio pro track, carvin ap11, tobe zone s<br />
    --traynor ycv50 blue</div>

Comment

I'm of the opinion that the pickups in those are near perfect. I've owned 3.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">I one day hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.<br><br><br><br>WORDS OF WISDOM FROM VARIOUS MEMBERS<br><br><br><br>&quot;most often the guitar will rise or fall to the level of the player&quot;<br><br><br><br>&quot;people overthink ****************&quot;<br><br><br><br>&quot;Sometimes you gotta know when to shut the **************** up and have a little class. Not you, you're special.&quot;<br><br><br><br>&quot;If it sounds good to you then it sounds good&quot;</div><br>The bull**************** and myths in the guitar world are stacked very high.

Comment

^+1 well minus owning three. I just have the one.

I suggest playing around with the adjustable pole pieces and height adjustment screws to hone in a sweet spot if you aren't happy with your current sound.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Good dealings with ~dcindc x2~alleytrash~ashasha~jjegg~Yavin</font></div>

Comment

I left the neck pickup alone in my Faded SG, but swapped the bridge for a Rio Grande BBQ Bucker. I can't explain the tone in any way other than pure rock and roll, and the sound I had been hearing in my head.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2">Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- <b>Two Cow Garage</b></font><br />
          <br />
          Yes, I can actually play: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/falstaff.music?sk=app_155326481208883" target="_blank">Falstaff</a></div>

Comment

I have the Classic +/Classic in my '61 RI, and they are the best buckers I have ever played. A close second are Duncan Alnico II Pro (non-Slash version). Both can be jangly, warm, give beautiful cleans, and sound great with dirt. I have Duncan JB/'59 combo in a couple of guitars and, while I like the the '59 in the neck, the JB tends to be very bright. I will probably change them out at some point.

Unless you are playing uber-heavy-lucifer-death-post-modern-apocalypse-metal, pickups with alnico II magnets would work great.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">................The <i>REAL</i> Brah<br />
            <br />
            <br />
            <b>Good trades/deals with:</b> Fusion1, SOLARPIMP, Lonnie99, twotimingpete, Tupelo Sun, moon shadow, Florbastang, shooter 123, Wolfboy1, almost enough, meowy, ntmo, lovellintn, fulcrumpoint, matt rhoades, kojdogg, cadfael, Daveydude, DaveAronow, Smithshred</div>

Comment

The stock ones in my '05 are perfectly fine. I raised the neck pickup, and lowered the bridge pickup, and have a good jazzy tone coupled with a Tele-esque vibe.

Comment

The stock ones in my '05 are perfectly fine. I raised the neck pickup, and lowered the bridge pickup, and have a good jazzy tone coupled with a Tele-esque vibe.

Comment

Rose Californias...

http://www.rosepickups.com
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">SPAM:<br />
                  <br />
                  <br />
                  Custom Wired Strat Pickguard Assemblies - PM me to discuss specs &amp; pricing<br />
                  <br />
                  Good Trades: PunkKitty, mfergel, Norcal_GIT_r, Chuck1016, Elias Graves, hrcnsfan, ugameus, RosePickups, jelloman, Hookandcanman, Danocoustic</div>

Comment

If you don't want to just do it right and get some BGs, then I suggest swapping the stock AlNiCo V magnet in there (that should be a 498T in the bridge, right?) for an AlNiCo VIII. It'll tame the harshness, take some of the boominess out of the low end, and fatten up the mids, as well as give you a bit more output.
                    Mazi Bee Militia!
                    JJ Pistols Kickfụck Brigade
                    PpP
                    My gear list is in serious need of an update...

Comment

I play those genres and dig the stock pups i did change the height though

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son
                        View Post

I left the neck pickup alone in my Faded SG, but swapped the bridge...

The bridge pup for me left something to be desired when I had a faded. For ballsy PAF toan I would run a dimarzio 36th.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2948223-FS-Pickups-Seymour-Dimarzio-Squier-Misc-Parts-Bridges-etc" target="_blank"><font color="purple">Pickups and Parts For Sale...</font></a><br />
                        <br />
                        <font color="green">WTB BG Pups</font><br />
                        <font size="1">Good deals with Guitarzan1143, diceman1000, narwhal, playdabluze, GibsonVman, TFM53</font></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD
                          View Post

(that should be a 498T in the bridge, right?)

No, the faded SG has the 490R/490T combo in it.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2">Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- <b>Two Cow Garage</b></font><br />
                          <br />
                          Yes, I can actually play: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/falstaff.music?sk=app_155326481208883" target="_blank">Falstaff</a></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son
                            View Post

No, the faded SG has the 490R/490T combo in it.

Oh, that's right...

Those are basically T-Tops with the wrong magnet in them. If you get some roughcast A5 magnets in them you basically have T-Tops.

As it is, the neck pickup is VERY dark. The bridge is kinda blah.

I'd just talk to Bryan at BG-Pups.com and tell him what you have and what you want it to sound like. You couldn't go less wrong. The only problem is that every guitar you own after that will never measure up. LOL
                            Mazi Bee Militia!
                            JJ Pistols Kickfụck Brigade
                            PpP
                            My gear list is in serious need of an update...

Comment

I like the 490 set in Faded SG's. I had it in one I used to own and it screamed. I replaced the wiring and it made it even better.

I later sold that guitar but got another Faded SG. That one I put in SD Alnico 2 Pro's to try something different. They're not super different from the 490's and are also really nice in that model guitar. I guess if you're not digging the current sound you probably want to go for a pickup that's more different than the A2P's.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Please check out my band <a href="http://www.myspace.com/vanwaltonmusic" target="_blank">Van Walton</a> on myspace.com.</font></div>

Comment

Working...
                              X